Sponsored by:

Dart 225 head question????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dart 225 head question????

Hey guys,
I have a set of dart 225 heads with 2.055/1.60 valves that i am wanting to install on my car. Its a stock bottom end 346 with a 224/224 .576/.576 on a 112lsa, full exhaust, ls6 intake and all bolt ons. I am wanting to have them sent out to be ported but not sure how big the intake runner should be opened up too? I have been told by a very good porter (not sayen names) that he would open it up too around a 240cc intake runner. What do you guys think of that or what size would you guys open it up too? I personally think it may be too big for my 346 but just wanted some input, i was thinkin of haven them opened up to around a 230cc intake runner. Any input is appreciated!!
thx rob
Old 03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on how much work you want to do, I would either disassemble them and clean them up yourself with a fine sanding roll or install them as cast. I think these heads are going to do well out of the box and I would tend to stay with the design from Dart as well as the smaller port, rather than let someone open up the ports and possibly mess up the original design. I think Dart has done some work on these heads that isn't fully evident in the flow bench numbers, but that is a gut suspicion on my part.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

The heads are already bare, I am just wanting some input on what size maybe. I was even thinking of just haven them hand finished to just clean them up a bit. Anyone else? Any advise would be helpful.
thx rob
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

too the top for some more answers, i know someone else has input on this, i am kinda stuck inbetween full out porting them but then them being too big for my setup or just haven them hand finished and knowing i will still make some good power. Once again, any input if appreciated.
thx rob
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

How bout calling TSP? Maybe you can have them port em. From what I understand, they know the heads just as well as Dart knows em. Lookin into buying the PRC/TSP Darts myself to match up with my MS3. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

If you open them up, you're going to need to spin that baby high, something that the TR 224 isn't going to do. I'd leave them alone, but get them milled to raise compression. My heads aren't ported.

Mike
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to run mine as-cast and see where I'm at first, can always get them ported down the road. My fear is someone just running them through a regular LS1 head CNC program and making things worst then as-cast lol.

I broke my trans last tme to the track but still ran 107mph in the 1/8 with no 2nd gear so they are doing OK so far..
Old 03-14-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

kewl guys thanks for the help, thats what i was thinkin of just letting them alone, but just haven them cleaned up since they have some marks in the runners from being cast. I think these head will be pretty good on my setup, i see they worked nicely for kraest. So i think the final verdict is have them hand finished. Long story short though, a friends has a computer program for ls1 that he can simulate different setups, and with the dart 225 with my crane 224 cam compared to a friends crane cam that is a 228/230 there was only a 5hp difference, i know this is computer but still shouldnt be all the big of a difference in real world, plus mine isnt a all out setup either.
thx rob
Old 03-14-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Default Bravo

Originally Posted by Kraest
If you open them up, you're going to need to spin that baby high, something that the TR 224 isn't going to do. I'd leave them alone, but get them milled to raise compression. My heads aren't ported.

Mike
Couldnt have said it better, not all heads need to be ported to work, and not all engines need ported heads. Leave them alone

John
Dart

P.S. I seriously doubt that someone knows our heads as good as we do!!