Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Rex application

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mshadow
I don't understand what the issue with daily driving the trex is....

With ENOUGH gear and proper tuning it can be daily driven...I live in Buffalo NY I have two friends who daily driver their trex cammed cars all summer...including road trips...

I have borrowed my friends car for over a week...taken it on local driving...highway...to and from work.

It was perfectly fine...yes the car lopes...and has some loss of low end...im not pulling a trailer so that makes no diffrence.

In Buffalo you can drive your car 7 months out of the year unless you get some snow tires....

Who doesnt like lope?
Who doesnt like 400+ rwhp from a cam+boltons?

The only major issue I could see is gas mileage....but if your trying to mod your Fbody to win races at the track and on the street your gas mileage will decrease regardless.

You drive a Fbody stop being sallys
You made absolutely no sense. I have the T-Rex in a forged 383 stroker with a TH400 combo, running AFR205 heads. I have no issue driving mine everday in D.C. traffic which is the worst in the U.S. But in no way would I ever say the T-Rex is a daily driver camshaft, because of the driveability and gas mileage. There are far better cams for daily driver operations, than an all out race cam, that was what it was designed for, not daily driving. When you install gears, larger tires, and larger stall to get the most out of your camshaft you are beyond playing daily driver.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mshadow
I don't understand what the issue with daily driving the trex is....

With ENOUGH gear and proper tuning it can be daily driven...I live in Buffalo NY I have two friends who daily driver their trex cammed cars all summer...including road trips...

I have borrowed my friends car for over a week...taken it on local driving...highway...to and from work.

It was perfectly fine...yes the car lopes...and has some loss of low end...im not pulling a trailer so that makes no diffrence.

In Buffalo you can drive your car 7 months out of the year unless you get some snow tires....

Who doesnt like lope?
Who doesnt like 400+ rwhp from a cam+boltons?

The only major issue I could see is gas mileage....but if your trying to mod your Fbody to win races at the track and on the street your gas mileage will decrease regardless.

You drive a Fbody stop being sallys

This is exactly what I have been telling him the whole time.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBake
There are far better cams for daily driver operations, than an all out race cam, that was what it was designed for, not daily driving.When you install gears, larger tires, and larger stall to get the most out of your camshaft you are beyond playing daily driver.
it seems the majority of cam searchers are plagued by a lack of common sense. there's no point in getting a cam this big unless you have intentions of properly setting up the car, otherwise you are only wasting your time. yes a t-rex can be daily driven, but you can daily drive a twin screw mack, also...is it halfway reasonable? hell no. unless you are willing to go ***** to the wall with your setup, leave the t-rex alone, as it will eat you up and spit you out. just ask all the guys that posted "why the low t-rex dyno?". this is a badass cam meant for racing, not chauffeuring. but if he wants to daily drive a t-rex just to say he has a t-rex, you better come up with a good answer as to why a much smaller properly set up cam-only car walked your *** at the track. all while getting better mileage and smoother driveability to and fro.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You made absolutely no sense. I have the T-Rex in a forged 383 stroker with a TH400 combo, running AFR205 heads. I have no issue driving mine everday in D.C. traffic which is the worst in the U.S. But in no way would I ever say the T-Rex is a daily driver camshaft, because of the driveability and gas mileage. There are far better cams for daily driver operations, than an all out race cam, that was what it was designed for, not daily driving. When you install gears, larger tires, and larger stall to get the most out of your camshaft you are beyond playing daily driver.
You obviously threw gas mileage out the window when you went with a th400 with no lock up....and enough gear to support a trex...

With a manual tranny you can still achive decent gas mileage with the trex.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by s346k
it seems the majority of cam searchers are plagued by a lack of common sense. there's no point in getting a cam this big unless you have intentions of properly setting up the car, otherwise you are only wasting your time. yes a t-rex can be daily driven, but you can daily drive a twin screw mack, also...is it halfway reasonable? hell no. unless you are willing to go ***** to the wall with your setup, leave the t-rex alone, as it will eat you up and spit you out. just ask all the guys that posted "why the low t-rex dyno?". this is a badass cam meant for racing, not chauffeuring. but if he wants to daily drive a t-rex just to say he has a t-rex, you better come up with a good answer as to why a much smaller properly set up cam-only car walked your *** at the track. all while getting better mileage and smoother driveability to and fro.
Exactly!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have an idiot over on a local board who cannot come to terms that the T-Rex camshaft was designed for optimal use on stock heads and pistons. That using an aftermarket head no longer makes an optimal package. That the camshaft is a daily driver cam (anything can be daily driven if you can tolerate it), but in reality we know it was designed as an all out race cam for a stock head car. Normally I would cram post after post of information down his throat, but the archives have been whiped clean.
That wouldnt be Jeremy's dumb azz would it trent?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackfang
That wouldnt be Jeremy's dumb azz would it trent?
Yeah, still as clueless as ever.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

im not gunna get into yalls pissin match but i stoped daily driving the car because i bought a truck and then started messin with the car alot more, it still got driven 4-5 times a week, just wasnt my only ride anymore, i will be buying another car sometime this year and i wont even have second thoughts about puting this cam in it with the new tuning technology out, ive seen a trex tuned to run like a 224 cam, all my next car will have is boltons and 4.10 gears

fwiw, i had 4.10s with this cam for a while and took it on many 200+ mile road trips with full interior with the cruise control set getting 24+mpg down the interstate with stock rims and tires
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
fwiw, i had 4.10s with this cam for a while and took it on many 200+ mile road trips with full interior with the cruise control set getting 24+mpg down the interstate with stock rims and tires
EFI and .5:1 sixth gear rock! That's insane milage for such a substantial cam/gear combination.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

i dont see why people get into a pissing contest over whats streetable of not... everyone is differnt..i could daily drive a no A/C, no P/S BIG cam car daily with open headers and it would bother me at all... then you have people that complain that their cat back it too loud or something... everyone is different and everyone wants something out of there cars
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

I think the Trex cam sucks. But thats my personal opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. I have two friends who threw in the cam and figured they could have 400+rwhp and run 9's-10's, turns out they run 13.6's, thats including 4.56 gears and bolt ons. Now both of them are broke down, and never drive their cars trying to strip the interior out etc. They cant touch my XER Cammed TA.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

ha ha if they are putting down 400+ hp and are only running 13.6 they have bigger problems... can they not hook?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

I concur.remember that saying:different strokes for different folkes.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Some people can drive their cars, some people can't. Some people like the cam, some don't. Most of the people don't set their cars up right to run it. Its just that simple. I wouldn't trade mine for any other cam.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flash99
I think the Trex cam sucks. But thats my personal opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. I have two friends who threw in the cam and figured they could have 400+rwhp and run 9's-10's, turns out they run 13.6's, thats including 4.56 gears and bolt ons. Now both of them are broke down, and never drive their cars trying to strip the interior out etc. They cant touch my XER Cammed TA.
Your friends have some serious problems. Knowledge is probably one of them

I drive have driven my car every day for a year now with T-Rex, 4l60e, 4800 stall, 4.30's, and Prostars w/27" tires with no problems. I drive it on long trips also. I have made 2 trips back to MS (my home) this past year 10.5hrs each way and still get 20-21mpg on the hwy. Now do I say that the T-Rex is for everyone? No, but to say that it's not drivable everyday is stupid. Like I said knowledge of what mods and tuning are needed for a T-Rex is what makes the difference
Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAIN

thats for sure, that kinda time is unexcuseable even if you did a halfwit job tuning it and only had 3.42 gears and a stock clutch and everything else i could still go way faster than that
Old 03-20-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, still as clueless as ever.
Seems like you are the clueless one. Again, Im going to say that you need to get your car re-tuned.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BAIN

I drive have driven my car every day for a year now with T-Rex, 4l60e, 4800 stall, 4.30's, and Prostars w/27" tires with no problems. I drive it on long trips also. I have made 2 trips back to MS (my home) this past year 10.5hrs each way and still get 20-21mpg on the hwy. Now do I say that the T-Rex is for everyone? No, but to say that it's not drivable everyday is stupid. Like I said knowledge of what mods and tuning are needed for a T-Rex is what makes the difference
Exactly.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tooquick2beslo
Seems like you are the clueless one. Again, Im going to say that you need to get your car re-tuned.
Really, get a grip, no one has yet said it is a daily driver cam. All they have said is that they have daily driven it much like I have. No one will ever call it a daily driver camshaft. You can daily drive anything if you can tolerate it, I have a manual steering rack for example, some would not care for that as an everyday experience. You have a guy that has twice the gear as I saying good gas mileage, are you really that stupid to say I need a tune to get better gas mileage. I run a larger displacement engine, a transbraked 3 speed, 4000 stall, a 12 bolt rear, and engine set up for racing. You are a complete moron to think I need a tune when I am laying down over 480rwhp because I lack gas mileage compared to a guy running a 346, 6 speed, on 28in tall tires. Once again get a clue.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tooquick2beslo
Exactly.

Your an idiot, he did not say anything to back your claim that it is a daily driver camshaft. In fact he just put out there what has been said all along, it is up to the person how much they can tolerate. If you said a 224 cam is a daily driver camshaft, then you would have 100% agreement with that statement without the "caveat" that it is not for everyone.