So You Want to Do a Cam Swap $$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillTA
Total - 1606.66

Dave
Dave, I see you did a single spring setup. I'm not a fan of those, in terms of reliability, especially with certain cams. Not knocking your setup, just saying that won't work for everyone. That does save several hundred for not changing retainers, paying less for springs, etc so it explains how you got away for so cheap.

Oh, and you forgot the oil, filter, jug of coolant, then changing the oil and filter again after 500 miles.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is more the norm than you may think. I see alot of people using 918's and they are good springs. Even if you go with a double spring set, they can be had for $250 to $300 for PRC or Patriots. Those include retainers and seals. I was on a budget and I stuck to the budget and reused what I could.

I see you are big on premod and postmod dyno runs and alot of other bells and whistles. The average car guy wants to get a good SOTP increase and/or faster track times. The dyno is a good tuning alternative to driving around like I have been for the last 4 to 6 mos. tuning on the street. That is about all a dyno is good for in my book.

You can spend as little as $1,000 or 10 times that on a cam swap it just comes down to the individuals budget and personal goals. Things do come up and when doing any modification you should budget for these incidentals. Also engine failure do to modifications are just part of the game.

Dave
Old 06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys all do stuff the hard way..... i got a good cam (no idea the specs but its good) and i got fully ported heads that must flow good numbers. the heads probably have better springs etc. and i only paid like a thousand bucks.
see, the secret is, to buy someone elses motor thats already done.........
Old 06-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Launching!

LOL

Dave
Old 06-18-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought my camshaft install would cost a lot less then $1,000.

But it came close to $3,000 in just parts alone. But I don't regret one bit.

If you can't pay to play, stick to stock.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

that was great lol
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_knight

I'm surprised you didn't have to pay for

a Cam degree kit that actually works on an LS1 (aluminum block means magnets no worky), loctite, an oil change and new oil filter
3 arm pully puller, a rubber sledge to get it back on, a torque wrench with lb/ft measurements, a pulley bolt, water pump gaskets, front engine seal, valve cover gaskets, jug of dex-cool, gasket silicone…

oh, plus tax.

but hey maybe you knew a guy who owned all that stuff and let you borrow..

Most people don't use a cam degree kit. Dot to dot is fine for most cams.

I already had loctite, I won't count an oil change as it was due anyway and oil is something that is changed regularly, I rented the puelly puller for free from autozone, I own a rubber mallet that was cheap and purchased when I changed my own brake rotors and pads last year, the $1k for all parts from TSP included a cam swap bolts and gaskets kit (front engine seal, water pump, pulley bolt, etc), the valve cover gaskets are reusable and do not need changed, I already had gasket silicone, I only bought one cheapish container of coolant as mine was in fine shape and able to be reused.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Most people don't use a cam degree kit. Dot to dot is fine for most cams.
Oh, sure, if you have one of those symmetrical cams.

And I mentioned oil changes because you have to do one after the swap and again about 500 miles later. That's ~$50 right there.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

You forgot to include the valve job that cost about $150. I wouldn't think anyone would put a used set of heads on their car without doing one...

This thread boils down to one thing!

Preventative maintenence!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trust
I don't even consider them competition..other than the 03/04 Cobra's. I dont think there was a time I raced a GT and he was anywhere near my car. Not saying there arent fast ones out there, just not here. Heck, I'll catch a stop light with some and they'll do nothing. Although I did race this one guy and at the next light he was like 'is that a 5.7?!' I laughed '....yup'
I wish it were like that in Chicago. New stangs, older stangs, etc, none have exactly been slow. All the 99-04 I've raced are usually bolt ons, tires+150 shot. Not exactly slow cars.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kenp
Certainly, this was intended to inject a bit of humor into the cam swap advice so frequently given here at LS1 tech, and to provide a caveat to those who think it'll be cheap, or believe the advice that it can be cheap. Once you begin accumulating parts for mods, you have stepped onto a slippery slope and costs can accumulate rapidly.
Ken, you hit the nail on the head: "cam only" involves a lot more expense than just the cam.

Which is why I opted to go with Patriot heads since the heads include good springs, gaskets and bolts. I also went with a very mild cam. Luckily my install went very smoothly (for a change!) and the cost to do my heads and cam was minimal. The car has been running this way for two years with no problems and near stock driveability. Here's my cost breakdown (2004 prices):

Patriot 5.3L heads (includes HG's and bolts) $995
Used 216/220 comp cams $250
WP and front cover gaskets, crank bolt, seals, etc $100??
Mail order tune $200
Oil pump - stock
lifters - stock
pushrods - stock

So my total for the heads and cam swap was around $1550. Other mods include a torque converter, gears and LS6 intake. Exhaust manifolds and air box are stock.

My car is not the fastest car around, but it exceeded my goal of running 12.0's (prior to the rule change on the roll bar) and it does it consistently and reliably.

Last edited by Eric Fischer; 06-19-2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nokeman
wow...depressing. i dont even want to get a cam anymore.
ha, me too!
I actually bought a cam then I sold it after thinking about what else to get and when I added up the numbers and looked at my car and why I have it and how it is now... I figured forget it!
I love the car and its already the fastest thing Ive ever owned and it makes me smile all the time.

lol.

awesome thread
Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow i spent $150 for a cam and $65 for 918's off people on this board and that was it. Used the same gaskets,timing chain and oil pump....Im cheap and broke
Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My swap is gonna be cheap (this time) as it is the cost of the cam only. Not gonna mention the fact that I already paid heavily (see sig) for my last cam swap last December..........Damn.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I get it! fuken-A and you would have to do this right as I am getting all my ducks lined up for the cam/head thing!AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! No way Im going to do this **** myself,...... been there,.. (many many times!) (many years ago in a galaxy far far away!) so just as bad as all the very good points you make,.. how do I justify all that freeken $$$$$
Old 06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well you guys have it easy! Hell my car didnt even come with an LS1. lol So I started with a 400$ block and started collecting everything. A crap load of money and 3 years later I am still building. Some day it will be road ready but I will never be dont with it.