Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure does this look good to you guys *video*

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure does this look good to you guys *video*

Just for piece of mind how does my oil pressure look, to me it looks good. But this thing is alot different then my 5.0 so maybe this pressure isn't so great for an LS1. BTW if you can't read in the vid. the camera was at a weird angle the needle was really reading between the needle and it's shadow on the video if that makes sense. The car shifts about 6200rpm too, the reason i ask if this looks good yesterday when i was getting it tuned the oil pressure was kinda low my tuner told me to change the oil and ask you guys what you all thought. I changed the oil and the pressure came back up i'm suspecting it just needed changed. I changed it once after my mod install but i did have that headgasket mishap too and i had just some cheap oil with a cheap filter on it to get all the crap outta the motor.

Also the oil pressure sending unit isn't a GM one it's one from advanced auto i didn't know if that might make a difference either possibly.

http://www.ezarchive.com/89tang/Albu.../f-bodyoil.mpg
Right click save as please
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

I would not rely on a factory guage, they aren't worth a **** and are set so it all looks okay to the average person. At wot you will get an increase in oil pressure. Get a good set of guages before you worry about anything.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Looks to around 40 psi at idle, if so that is plenty enough.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mvonada
I would not rely on a factory guage, they aren't worth a **** and are set so it all looks okay to the average person. At wot you will get an increase in oil pressure. Get a good set of guages before you worry about anything.
Well from what i've heard the factory gauges aren't to bad, not as bad as ford gauges and they are semi accurate. And i'm not going to buy aftermarket gauges yet cause well i don't want gauges all over the place like my mustang. Maybe if i figure something out where to put them so they are out of the way and not seen unless you want to see them.

And i know at WOT you'll get an increase that wasn't my question, that's kinda common sense.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Looks to around 40 psi at idle, if so that is plenty enough.
Yeah it's about 35-40psi at idle, just kinda worried me cause the PSI dropped off quite a bit yesterday before i changed the oil. Before i changed the oil it was 25-35psi and at WOT it seemed to only go to about 60psi. That didn't seem like enough to me at WOT, i know it's about 10psi for every 1000rpm as a minimum so when it didn't reach 60psi at my 6200 shift point i started watching it close for the last few days.

It has a brand new LS6 oil pump too.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

My 98 was at 20 psi at hot idle from day one. It stayed that away even after 130 plus track runs and 62K miles. Don't worry yours is fine.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Your oil pressure looks good to go to me also. The video is fine too, although the plot is kind of weak. You need a good screen writer before you take it to Hollywood.

All my best,

Steve
Old 04-02-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah it looks good. goes up with engine speed and comes down with engine speed. its a-okay.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Your oil pressure looks good to go to me also. The video is fine too, although the plot is kind of weak. You need a good screen writer before you take it to Hollywood.

All my best,

Steve
Hey i figure it's best for ppl. to actually see what i'm talking about rather then explaining it. I tend to over explain stuff

Thanks guys i just wanted to make sure. My mustang hot idle is 20-25psi and WOT it's instant 60-70psi so i was just making sure the fireturd was up to specs.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

You are good, as long as you have around 30+PSI @ idle(thats my "comfort zone" but the factory's is WAY lower). And the biggest concern is making sure that needle goes UP when WOT and not DOWN! ROCK ON!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
You are good, as long as you have around 30+PSI @ idle(thats my "comfort zone" but the factory's is WAY lower). And the biggest concern is making sure that needle goes UP when WOT and not DOWN! ROCK ON!!!
Mustang done that i know that's bad, it would be about 60psi i'd hit WOT and it'd drop to 45psi about 6 months after it started that half the crank came through the front of my block.