Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

233/239 112 cam and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 233/239 112 cam and emissions

A friend I know had a TSP 233/239 112 cam installed and he has to run it through a sniffer test. Actually, he already has gone to the sniffer and it drastically failed the HCs measurement (went off the scales beyond 2000 ppm, and the limit is 800 max), so now he has to try something to pass. He has no EGR or AIR on the car. Its a 2002 LS engine in a 69 body. Someone did a moderate tune on the car, but no one has a record of the A/F, so I don't know really where the car is at right now for rich/lean (it runs nice and shows no obvious signs of being too lean or rich, but still could be).

I'm figuring the overlap of the cam is enough to make it impossible to tune and pass a sniffer (especially since it has to drop likely 1200+ppm). Add that there is no AIR system. It could also be a rich/lean condition (either way) attributing to the high HCs, but I don't think that alone is the cause. I am expecting that the amount of unburnt HCs is always going to cause it to fail, no matter how much tuning I help him do. In short, either he doesn't insure the car or gets a smaller cam.

So far, most people have suggested to me that it is impossible to pass this cam through a sniffer (as I too figure). But I'm not an expert on this stuff and only have experience tuning my 224/224 cam.

Can anyone suggest if this will be possible? If tuning will even remotely help on a cam this size?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately not gonna happen. Aren't classic cars exempt from the sniffer? I know they are in TX.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impossible to ge that cam to pass IMO. Why does he have to get a '69 smogged? Maybe he can title it as an antique or something?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Launching!

It technically only has to pass as a 69, so his readings on HCs have to be 889 max rather than 250 max (or so).

I'm not sure its the fact that its a new engine that he doesn't qualify for classic car status, or if its because he has plans to drive it in excess of the allowed mileage. I'll query him on it. But he does have to do the sniffer - just at easier levels.

Right now I've just been trying to figure out if this is going to be possible. Even as a 69, I can't see bringing the HCs down that much, since they are so elevated right now.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Use a couple of gallons of denatured alchohol. It will pass with flying colors. You'll be amazed! Just run the tank untill its got less than a gallon left then put 2 gallons of denatured alchohol in and get it tested. Alchohol doesn't show up as hydrocarbons. It burns so clean! Give it a shot and put some real gas in when your done. You have the ability to fool with the air/fuel ratio so richen it up a little with the alchohol to be safe. Good Luck
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt there a certain year when a car becomes an antique? I thought it was like 30 years or something. Antiques dont have to pass any emissions Im pretty sure. All you would have to do is is get antique liscense plates.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Launching!

I'm going to look into the collector plate issue - from what I know though, you still have to pass a sniffer here for that.

I never heard of the alchohol solution before. That would be interresting. Any negative impacts of this?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Yea i might need to know soon.

Heya Chriss, sorry for the thread hi-jack. Getting a y-pipe and cam package from TSP. Torquer 2. Should be interesting.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nokeman
Isnt there a certain year when a car becomes an antique? I thought it was like 30 years or something. Antiques dont have to pass any emissions Im pretty sure. All you would have to do is is get antique liscense plates.
I believe that it becomes a classic after 25. That is when you can get like 50$ a year insurance.
BTW that cam will not pass. Over 230 is the rule of thumb as far as emissions go.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to hear from other people who've used denatured alcohol. I mean, how big of a cam can you get to pass? What are the negative side effects? Why don't more people do this and run huge cams in CA?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Hmm I'm curious aboutthat denatured alcohol as well, why don't more people do this if it works so well?