Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which cam will produce a better ET?
T-Rex will drag an MS3 car down the quarter mile
66.53%
MS3 will drag a t-rex car down the quarter mile
33.47%
Voters: 484. You may not vote on this poll

T-REX vs. MS3 on the track.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Was this set up as a cam only? I think I would be a buyer if you can deliver what you say. Have you got a chance to hit it much on the street? Hp doesnt matter to me winning does so... Again MORE INFO lol
Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

The cams I am doing for single plane applications are different. I have a couple of cams for this type of application, but keep in mind that if you use any of the 'popular' off the shelf cams in a carb application it won't be optimal. A cam for a single plane intake, by necessity needs to be very different than what is done for a long runner intake.
Do you offer or can you point me the right direction on a cam that would be better for a single plane combination? Thank you for your advice, Mike.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think a better thread would be ms4 or trex? but thats just me...

i voted trex..
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say trex would win but not by much. 3 tenths maybe? idk
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Launching!

well if your buddy is only doing a cam i would do ms4 with gears i have it and a friend of mine has an ms3 and my car is more streetable it idles great and drives at low rpms better than my old 233/239 so who ever says those cams arent streetable are wrong just try another tuner
Old 04-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Launching!

i just noted this does anybody know that this post is three years old!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
I say trex would win but not by much. 3 tenths maybe? idk
not by much... then you say 3 tenths!?!?!

that doesnt add up... 3 tenths is a LOT when talking the only difference in a setup being a cam... second, they will runthe same exact times, depending on supporting mods..

Originally Posted by ms4z28
well if your buddy is only doing a cam i would do ms4 with gears i have it and a friend of mine has an ms3 and my car is more streetable it idles great and drives at low rpms better than my old 233/239 so who ever says those cams arent streetable are wrong just try another tuner
ms4 is much mroe streetable.. i love mine...

Originally Posted by ms4z28
i just noted this does anybody know that this post is three years old!

haha, didnt know that..

can still help people regardless..
Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

not only is this post three years old but the MS4 did not even exist back then. lol
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my vote is Trex is faster on the track then any other off the shelf cam..... unless someone can prove me wrong
Old 04-18-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Itsslow
my vote is Trex is faster on the track then any other off the shelf cam..... unless someone can prove me wrong
that is impossible statement to make true/false...

any given car with a trex, ms4, polluter, ms3, Gx, etc... can be faster than the other one...

why do you see so many fast trex cars? because so many people that want to go fast use them..
i will say that 90% of trex cars, i will beat.. and the other 10% arent going to destroy me by any means..
Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are 7 trex cammed cars on the fastest cam only list and no MS4's. There are 2 MS3 though

I wonder what cam dominates the cam only list?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
that is impossible statement to make true/false...

any given car with a trex, ms4, polluter, ms3, Gx, etc... can be faster than the other one...

why do you see so many fast trex cars? because so many people that want to go fast use them..
i will say that 90% of trex cars, i will beat.. and the other 10% arent going to destroy me by any means..
Originally Posted by somws6bird
There are 7 trex cammed cars on the fastest cam only list and no MS4's. There are 2 MS3 though

I wonder what cam dominates the cam only list?

i know that list very well..

you just made my point again.. people that want to go fast, go trex.. does that mean an ms4 cant be faster? absolutely not..

i have an ms4... and with a lot less stall, and more weight... i am right there with a lot of those trex cars... what does that tell you?

it is impossible to say ANY cam is better than ANY other cam.. no matter the size.. it ALL has to do with the complete setup and the individual car..

im not saying the ms4 is better than the trex... im saying the trex is not better than the ms4...
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by lemons12
it is impossible to say ANY cam is better than ANY other cam.. no matter the size.. it ALL has to do with the complete setup and the individual car..

im not saying the ms4 is better than the trex... im saying the trex is not better than the ms4...
Bolded the important part. I've taken 400rwhp stock cube cars to 10.50's, while the same day at the same track I watched a 422ci go 10.50's also....

The car's setup has more to do with timeslips than the camshaft used, and when people finally realize that; usually their timeslips improve without adding more power. Optimizing the chassis to use the power is always the smarter move vs. worrying about 2 cams with maybe 5-8hp between them...

It also does not take huge cams to run a number, although when PROPERLY setup they will do the job they are intended for. A 230/230 cam can be also made to run well when the chassis is right.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Subscribing
Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A heavy big-cam car will more then likely be a pig. A light big-cam car will scream

Weight is one of the most important parts of the cam equation in my mind...
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Bolded the important part. I've taken 400rwhp stock cube cars to 10.50's, while the same day at the same track I watched a 422ci go 10.50's also....

The car's setup has more to do with timeslips than the camshaft used, and when people finally realize that; usually their timeslips improve without adding more power. Optimizing the chassis to use the power is always the smarter move vs. worrying about 2 cams with maybe 5-8hp between them...

It also does not take huge cams to run a number, although when PROPERLY setup they will do the job they are intended for. A 230/230 cam can be also made to run well when the chassis is right.
should be bolded, in red, upper cased... haha... cam selection has very little to do with a setup.. he is right on.. does it matter? yes... but heads, stall etc are even more important.. the cam should match everything else.. not everything else trying to match the cam..
the cam is about as important as tire size and gears..
this is especially true, like ^^^ said.. when your talking these two cams.. your talking like 2-7rwhp MAX... a lid will make more difference than that..

and while this thread isnt about it.. a 230 cam when setup properly will run MUCH better than a 240 cam setup improperly... i have seen this many times..

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
A heavy big-cam car will more then likely be a pig. A light big-cam car will scream

Weight is one of the most important parts of the cam equation in my mind...
that is very true, to an extent... you can counter act that with a big stall low gears and small tires...

my car is proof that big cams like lite weight cars!

BUT! traction gets to be abitch the liter your rear is... i witnessed that last night fish tailing through the 60ft...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Both are great camshafts i love those cams, but if your looking for a performer that does it all (Street-Track) look no further than Thunder Racings newer grind the "Raptor" 236/242 617/613 111+2 is what mine came out to be because every cam is ground a little diff, but it is advertised with .615/.615 lift on both sides. People reading this will argue but call Thunder Racing and ask Shane if the Raptor goes faster than the T-rex at the track, I own the raptor and daily drive it in my car. It drives awesome for a large cam and the power is insane. I absolutely would look in to getting this cam before buying the 2 discussed above,"The Little Brother will kick the Big Brothers ***." But betwwen the two I voted T-rex.

Last edited by Y2KblueZ-28; 04-19-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Y2KblueZ-28
Both are great camshafts i love those cams, but if your looking for a performer that does it all (Street-Track) look no further than Thunder Racings newer grind the "Raptor" 236/242 617/613 111+2 is what mine came out to be because every cam is ground a little diff, but it is advertised with .615/.615 lift on both sides. People reading this will argue but call Thunder Racing and ask Shane if the Raptor goes faster than the T-rex at the track, I own the raptor and daily drive it in my car. It drives awesome for a large cam and the power is insane. I absolutely would look in to getting this cam before buying the 2 discussed above,"The Little Brother will kick the Big Brothers ***." But betwwen the two I voted T-rex.
if he says "the Raptor goes faster than the T-rex at the track"... then he is lying.. you cant say that.. and it is a VERY ignorant statement..

this is why...

a 230/232 600 cam..
ls6 intake
5.3 heads
LTs with cutout
dyno tune
26 inch tires
373s
3600 stall

raptor cam
ls6 intake
stock heads
LT's through catback
handheld/base tune
28 inch tires
323s
3500 stall

guess who is probably going to go faster.. the 230ish sized cam.. even though its smaller.. and not some name brand cam.. why is this? because the setup was well thought out and put together.. where the raptor cam setup wasnt...

raptor cam is going to want to breath, the ls6 intake wont allow for good air up top.. stock heads are going to kill it.. going through stock CB.. base tune.. 323s with 3500 stall and 28s is going to KILL the 60ft.. along with that big cam not adding tons of TQ down low..

ls6 intake will match the cam perfctly cause it wont need a ton of air up top.. 5.3s to help compression.. the exhaust is free.. has a dyno tune.. 26s with 373s and a 3600 with that cam is going to scream in the 60ft...

and you cant argue that the raptor would do better with setup 1 instead of the 230 cam because that setup wont utilize everything the raptor can give.. the 230 cam would be better suited for both those setups..

i used those because those are very common setups..

KEEP THIS IN MIND

SETUP A--- FAST9090 PRCls6s full exhaust 26in tires 410s 4k stall
SETUP B --- ls6 intake 5.3s full exhaust 28 in tires 373s 4k stall
SETUP C--- ls6 intake AFRs full exhaust 28 in tires 410s 3600 stall

only differences being that one has a raptor, one has a TREX, one has an ms4... lets say the

now raptor is fastest with setup A... TREX is fastest with setup B.. and MS4 is fastest with setup C...

why is this... because the cam has VERY VERY VERY little to do with how fast a car is.. the cam fits better with "X" mods..

therefore it is IMPOSSIBLE to say that "X brand" cam is better than "Y brand" cam.. because in any given setup one might be better than the other..

***this of course is with pretty closely matched cam.. this rules changes slightly when the margin of size increases..
hopefully that made sense... and i didnt get mixed up.. and hopefully it helps people understand this a little better..
Old 04-19-2009, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Thunder Racing designed both cams and tested them, I wanted to go T-rex but i talked to Shane who basically owns TR and he told me the Raptor cam is setting cam only records in Austalia and has already proven itself to be faster at the track than the T-rex. Since your so smart Mr.Lemon , Call and get the Facts from the People that designed both cams and deal with them everyday before you start making assumptions and pointing your Punisher finger.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

lol Y2K you may want to educate yourself before attacking someone like "Mr Lemon".

have people that used the raptor cams built faster cars? yes
Is the raptor a faster or better cam? No. Its just a cam.

It may be proven to perform better than the T-Rex in certain applications, but to say it is faster? that is an ignorant statement.

Quick Reply: T-REX vs. MS3 on the track.