Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head recommendations for MTI-422

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head recommendations for MTI-422

I have an MTI-422 that was built 4+ years ago. Last year I went to have it tuned locally at FLP and was told that I was basically starving the engine of air - due to the fact that adding timing resulted in no power gain.

Car is currently running MTI Stage 3 LS1 heads, R1 cam (232/236 .575/.578 114), LS6 intake, stock ported TB, and stock MAF sensor right now. Car is an automatic. Car is basically an "old" setup and I am looking to bring it up to date - including horsepower wise with all the new equipment available now that wasn't when it was built.

I have already purchased a NW 90mm TB and SLP 85mm MAF sensor and was looking into a FAST 90 intake - but started thinking about changing my heads as well. So before I invest in a FAST intake - I was wondering if I should look down the LS7 direction (I know about having to cut pistons) or just stick with one of the newly available heads from the aftermarket made to work with an LS1. If so, which head?

Car is a street car and will remain a street car with occasional strip time. Also, car does have a TNT kit on it - but I rarely use it.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat almost. From what I have been able to find the intake is the sticking point with an fast 90/90 setup with the heads that are available now. MIZFIT motorsports is working on a L-92 setup with ported heads and a custom sheetmetal intake that sounds real promising. Otherwise the ls-7 route is about the best gthing we have available to us. Hope I was able to help.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you might wanna look at another cam before you do heads.
That cam is tiny for a 422 and the durations dictate how much air comes in.
Custom is the way to go since your motor is already built.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by schaffer
I have an MTI-422 that was built 4+ years ago. Last year I went to have it tuned locally at FLP and was told that I was basically starving the engine of air - due to the fact that adding timing resulted in no power gain.

Car is currently running MTI Stage 3 LS1 heads, R1 cam (232/236 .575/.578 114), LS6 intake, stock ported TB, and stock MAF sensor right now. Car is an automatic. Car is basically an "old" setup and I am looking to bring it up to date - including horsepower wise with all the new equipment available now that wasn't when it was built.

I have already purchased a NW 90mm TB and SLP 85mm MAF sensor and was looking into a FAST 90 intake - but started thinking about changing my heads as well. So before I invest in a FAST intake - I was wondering if I should look down the LS7 direction (I know about having to cut pistons) or just stick with one of the newly available heads from the aftermarket made to work with an LS1. If so, which head?

Car is a street car and will remain a street car with occasional strip time. Also, car does have a TNT kit on it - but I rarely use it.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Same problem as me, cheezy out-dated stage III LS1 heads, mine flow 304cfm, yours are probably the same.

The FAST 90 will still starve a 422, so the intake will be the weak link. The only intake out there that will accomodate our sized engines is the Harrop intake, but they're expensive as hell. And the only heads that will allow a super-stroker to breath to its max potential are LS7 heads or the ETP 265/41 heads.

So, if money allows, get the Harrop and the ETP 265's or LS7 heads, and upgrade the cam. Expect to put down 600+ RWHP.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Chris I would look at getting a larger camshaft I believe Dan talked to you about that last year when he dynoed it. You may want to call him and ask what cam he would spec out for you needs. Also I would not put a SLP 85mm on your car or any car. They always seem to cause way too many problems. The stock MAF is more than enough.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by maddboost
Chris I would look at getting a larger camshaft I believe Dan talked to you about that last year when he dynoed it. You may want to call him and ask what cam he would spec out for you needs. Also I would not put a SLP 85mm on your car or any car. They always seem to cause way too many problems. The stock MAF is more than enough.
what he said, like what i said.....
Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

My engine was built couple of months after yours. Couple of months ago I was in the same boat as you, although I do have the S1 cam, LS6 heads & Fast 90mm combo. So far I haven't been much impressed with the dyno numbers from engine combos running LS7 heads or ETP heads. Properly ported LS6 heads are still putting same or even better numbers.

I would love if some can pull 600+rwhp from an engine with compression ratio <11.5 and a cam in the 24x range duration. I haven't seen one yet, and no I don't believe the hype about LG's recent LS7 dyno.

That's why I've been planning about going Forced Induction.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cam profiles and lobe tech has evolved since you guys built your motors.
You picked generic off the shelf cams. Your motors should have custom cams for the heads you have since both of you have hand ported ones.
Nothing is more reliable than a properly matched NA motor.
XXXhp, your car should be running flat 10's but we both know traction (suspension is an issue).
Also Big cubes are more strangled by the intake setup than anything else.
Power should not be looked at as "peak power" only, but more as power under the curve or as some of us call it "useable" power.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd seriously look at a 12* head that flows a ton more than the 15* of 'yesteryear' ha.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xxxhp
I haven't seen one yet, and no I don't believe the hype about LG's recent LS7 dyno.
Then you need to read the post from Mizfit who got 603, or MTI who got 58*. Ported LS7 heads are no hype.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Then you need to read the post from Mizfit who got 603, or MTI who got 58*. Ported LS7 heads are no hype.
Don't forget, that was MTI Racing Atlanta not MTI Houston. Although LG did not do any work to the heads. I'm still kind of mystified by it myself. Probably a very, very quick car no matter the numbers.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NEVRLIFT
Don't forget, that was MTI Racing Atlanta not MTI Houston. Although LG did not do any work to the heads. I'm still kind of mystified by it myself. Probably a very, very quick car no matter the numbers.
Yeah, you're right about MTI. But LG did port the exhaust. With the crazy amount of air the heads flow, not to mention the intake, I don't see why these 600rwhp numbers are so unbelievable.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ETP LS7 heads
Old 05-06-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls7 heads and intake, bigger cam
Old 05-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am still torn - but since the FAST 90mm intakes seem to hold their value pretty well - I might just pickup one of those for now. I also have an MTI S1 cam (244/244 .612/.612 112) that I had picked up awhile ago - I am leaning towards throwing that setup in it this year. Then save for an LS7 setup for next season - sounds like that utliumately is where I should head - makes since with that setup being engineered for a 427 cu motor. I also have been told that I should upgrade my FLP 1-3/4" to Kook's 1-7/8 headers - but since I am putting a new motor in my Saleen right now - need to conserve some funds.

Thanks again.

Chris