Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump install question

removed my old cam and stuff had a bich of a time geting oil pump off took front cover off pump to remove it and cut the damb o ring at the same time any suggestions on installing it with out prying and fighting it in dont want to hurt my new pump
Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by my black ss
removed my old cam and stuff had a bich of a time geting oil pump off took front cover off pump to remove it and cut the damb o ring at the same time any suggestions on installing it with out prying and fighting it in dont want to hurt my new pump
Lube? It helps.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by my black ss
do no take the new pump apart to put it on.....with the right angle and line the key ways up close it will slip on with a lil force
Old 04-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Default oil pump

the problem is getting it away from the pickup tube thats whats catching
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

lowering the oil pan about an inch and a half helps alot. and a 10mm gear wrench also helps for the pick up tube bolt and for the pump just wiggle should slide in. and PLEASE put like a rag or something underneath the tube incase u drop any bolts in the pan but DONT forget to take the rag out wen ur finsihed.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil pump is just a bitch. All you can really do is try to get in lined up then push, turn, wiggle and hold the pickup tube down all while making sure the o-ring stays seated properly and doesn't get pinched. Easy enough.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Default take it apart

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
do no take the new pump apart to put it on.....with the right angle and line the key ways up close it will slip on with a lil force

its alot easierif you take it apart. It so simple just take the bolts loose and pull the two gears out and make sure you put it all in the same when your done. With it apart you can use .003 shims and make sure it is lined up.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

lube the crap out of everything. we always slide on the oring on the pick up tube, get the gear lined up on the crank. then rotate the pump counter clockwise down on the pick up tube.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

There's probably as many ways to install an LS1/LS6 oil pump as there is to grill a good steak. The one I've seen used:

slide the disassembled oil pump body onto the crank

attach the disassembled pump body to the engine with two fasteners (left upper, right lower, or vice-versa) torqued to 45 in-lbs

slide two .002 feeler gauges, 180* apart, between the pump body and crank snout

keeping the two .002 feeler gauges 180* apart, rotate them around the crank snout-this will center the pump body on the crank snout

LEAVING THE TWO .002 FEELER GAUGES IN PLACE, apply red Loctite to the two bolts that did not get installed, and torque to 18 ft-lbs.

now remove the 2 bolts that were initially installed at 45 in-lbs., apply red Loctite, and torque those to 18 ft-lbs.

reassemble the oil pump

You don't have to use feeler gauges...GM sells an oil pump centering tool. No matter how you choose to install the oil pump, you're after just one thing...centering it as perfectly as you can on the crank snout to avoid uneven wear in the pump.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

thanks guys any one know yhe price on the sentering tool from gm
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both dealerships I've talked to said they don't know anything about an oil pump centering tool I'd like to install my cam and oil pump on my engine stand tomorrow.

Quick Reply: oil pump install question