Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just In ! Patriot Ls6 heads! pics..flow #'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
So how would these compare in price to the prc's? Im looking at both these heads and the stage 1 prc ls6 heads with the cam in my sig. What would be a better setup? Thansk and any info would be greatly appreciate guys. BTW the lift on my cam is .600+
most likely they will be about the same...maybe more torque down low because of the higher cfm in the low range lift. Its gonna be more a of a matter of opionion...
i would call each place that sells budget ls6 heads..livernois,tsp, and patriot and deside for yourself based on their customer service and sales technique.
Thats what i did...i ended up buying from Gunner at patriot.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Let me clarify this cause now I'm confused...

Patriot is handfinishing all the 243 heads now? Even the intake port? Even after they've gotten out of the CNC machine? That wasn't an extra option you paid for? I was having people recommend against taking cnc lines out of the intake port...
It part of the normal process from what i was told...and it happens after they cnc the heads. I imagine its intails polishing the outside of the exhaust port area to look shiny, and they also resurface the bottom of the head and clean it to look good. The majority of the porting done inside has the cnc lines in it...some areas it doesnt it looks more of a abrasize type port area like it was done by hand. thats all i can tell ya.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HartAttack
It part of the normal process from what i was told...and it happens after they cnc the heads. I imagine its intails polishing the outside of the exhaust port area to look shiny, and they also resurface the bottom of the head and clean it to look good. The majority of the porting done inside has the cnc lines in it...some areas it doesnt it looks more of a abrasize type port area like it was done by hand. thats all i can tell ya.
Ohh ok. I just can't see the cnc lines from those pics It looks like the intake is hand ported, but I guess not. Good luck on the install, I'm in the middle of one myself right now.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
We need to get off this bigger/more/louder/taller/higher, makes my motor faster attidude.

It is all about "THE RIGHT MATCHING COMBINATION"
Agreed
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bo White
I just got finished hand finishing a set of 6.0 heads last week that wasnt done that indepth but then again they new I would be finishin them off. They are abunch of good guys up there and they really have the customers needs at heart on every order. I was up there the other day and Gunnar was talkin some guy out of some parts that were way off from what he needed for his application- saved the guy some money and aggrevation in the long run for sure
We just wanted to keep you busy Bo!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

Glad you like the heads! Make sure to keep us posted on your numbers.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
Glad you like the heads! Make sure to keep us posted on your numbers.
Roger that
Old 05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HartAttack

Bo, are you still hand finishing heads then?
I still hold a die grinder in my hand when I have time, mostly to keep the feel and skill level sharp because you never know what the future may bring.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Lifts at .2/.3/.4 are more important than .5/.6 for street driven motors.
You guys put too much emphasis on flow #s and forget other factors like swirl and velocity.
you need to look at what is inside the box, not just the label on the outside.

I see the same trend regarding cams, poeple look at peak Hp numbers and hail this cam, that cam, while all along it is the power under the curve which will give you the performance wished for. This is why most overcam their motors.

We need to get off this bigger/more/louder/taller/higher, makes my motor faster attidude.

It is all about "THE RIGHT MATCHING COMBINATION"
Reread my post. I said that you can't compare lifts BELOW .4" (i.e. .300 and less) as there are too many variations amongst benches and you can't accurately base your comparison off of these numbers. Also I never said that bigger heads were better. I stated that I could give a **** if I give up 5 cfm at .3 to have a head that doesnt back up at .650" vs a head that goes static at .600 lift. The head that doesnt back up will consistently make more power and have a better torque curve too.

Bigger and badder doesn't mean you're going to go any faster. But picking a head that has better .1, .2, and .3 numbers then loses out at .400 to the other head and above and goes static at .600 is simply retarded.

BTW, all these heads are pretty similar and you're splitting hairs. Good numbers
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Reread my post. I said that you can't compare lifts BELOW .4" (i.e. .300 and less) as there are too many variations amongst benches and you can't accurately base your comparison off of these numbers. Also I never said that bigger heads were better. I stated that I could give a **** if I give up 5 cfm at .3 to have a head that doesnt back up at .650" vs a head that goes static at .600 lift. The head that doesnt back up will consistently make more power and have a better torque curve too.

Bigger and badder doesn't mean you're going to go any faster. But picking a head that has better .1, .2, and .3 numbers then loses out at .400 to the other head and above and goes static at .600 is simply retarded.

BTW, all these heads are pretty similar and you're splitting hairs. Good numbers

FYI, when you see better flow at .3/.4/.(4.5), that is an indication that velocity and swirl is pretty good in that head. If a 227 cfm int. head is within 3 cfm at .600 VS a 235 cfm int., that also should tell you something.

a .650 flowing head is pointless if your cam lifts are only .590
That is what "Matching Combo Means".

And before you call poeple names (since I can judge by your finesse in expression), you read carefuly, I also said on a STREET head; which is what all these good budget heads are.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI, when you see better flow at .3/.4/.(4.5), that is an indication that velocity and swirl is pretty good in that head. If a 227 cfm int. head is within 3 cfm at .600 VS a 235 cfm int., that also should tell you something.

a .650 flowing head is pointless if your cam lifts are only .590
That is what "Matching Combo Means".
X2 Similar to how the small port AFR 205's match the flow of what some of the larger vendors ports flow.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
I'm lost on this one....are you referring to the Patriots?
It looks like you start saying that bigger and badder isnt better...and then it looks like you start to say the low lift is good...like these heads have..but then you say going static at .600 is retarded?? please ilaborate this more for me please.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't agree with you there on two points.
Getting flow numbers from a flow-bench isn't the same at all as flow in a running engine.

The velocity in the port will be proportional to the height you lift the valve on the flow-bench while testing.

Good low-lift numbers on the bench will NOT mean high velocity in the port (either on the bench or a running engine), or anything at all to do with swirl. They are completely unrelated.

You are suggesting that when the flow-bench shows good low-lift numbers, that suggests a high velocity port and/or good swirl. I think this is completely wrong, and an assumption like that simply cannot be made.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Probably not going to be a whole world of difference between those three heads or the higher dollar AFR,Dart, and ET castings for that matter. You cant beat the CNCd LS6 heads for the bang for buck....
So basically you are saying that the AFR's, and ET's heads aren't any better than these budget heads. You are a joke. Or you are joking. One of the two.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001s10
I don't agree with you there on two points.
Getting flow numbers from a flow-bench isn't the same at all as flow in a running engine.

The velocity in the port will be proportional to the height you lift the valve on the flow-bench while testing.

Good low-lift numbers on the bench will NOT mean high velocity in the port (either on the bench or a running engine), or anything at all to do with swirl. They are completely unrelated.

You are suggesting that when the flow-bench shows good low-lift numbers, that suggests a high velocity port and/or good swirl. I think this is completely wrong, and an assumption like that simply cannot be made.
This is a quote from well known source:

The valve lift curve hits the mid-lift numbers such as 0.300- to 0.400-inch twice in each valve lift curve while peak lift is only achieved once per cycle. Judging a cylinder head by its mid-lift flow potential can be beneficial in choosing the right cylinder head for a street engine.
This is the point i was trying to make,
Also regarding velocity, from what I've seen around, port shape and size are major contributors and when you see a smaller CC runner head making more flow in mid lifts, you can deduct that it has higher velocity as well.

This is another quote from another source:

The biggest factor affecting velocity is the intake runner size. Cylinder head airflow is measured in cubic feet per minute, CFM for short. Logic states that if two cylinder heads flow the same volume of air in terms of CFM and having different intake runner volumes, one must have a higher airflow velocity than the other. The cylinder head with the smaller port volume must have a higher velocity in order to achieve the same volume of airflow. Higher velocity means greater fuel atomization and greater cylinder filling, which results in more horsepower. Tests have shown that large intake runners may ultimately produce the same high RPM horsepower, but low end torque is usually decreased, which results in less overall power. If the intake runner volume is extremely oversized the mid range torque may suffer so much that the street manners of the car will suffer. A race only car may not need to worry about intake runner volume because it may only operate in the 4000-7000 RPM range. For a street engine though runner volume is a serious consideration
Now to swirl:

One important aspect for great performing heads is the motion of the incoming fuel/air charge. Generally heads with good motion or swirl will perform better because they will burn the fuel/air mixture faster.
When heads burn faster you gain in 2 ways:

The engine will require less spark advance. By firing the mixture closer to TDC there will be less cylinder pressure to fight the piston rising to reaching TDC.

The burn will be completed sooner after TDC. This creates more cylinder pressure after TDC to push the piston down and make more power.

Both of these effects result in a more efficient engine making more power out of the same amount of air and fuel. In racing you want to maximize the efficiency of the engine because the result is more power. This is especially important in restricted classes of racing where restrictor plates severely limit air and fuel flow

Now this can be done while flowing the heads with a swirl meter and is relative to the shape of the chamber and the way it is finished. You are correct in saying that flow#s are not relative to swirl, but what I have seen in the PP heads is.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 777
So basically you are saying that the AFR's, and ET's heads aren't any better than these budget heads. You are a joke. Or you are joking. One of the two.
Im not joking the joke is on you and your wallet.... Dont try to infer what I meant in my post, its obviously over your head.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Guys all of this theory is absolutely great, interesting and makes sense. BUT, TSP is going to do a real world test keeping variables the same between the CNCd Ls6 heads vs, AFRs etc.... They have invited anyone who wishes to witness the results to come observe the test. This is THE ONLY WAY to show the differences between each of these heads on the same setup. I look forward to the results and I think many will be quite suprised of the outcome.

Also running 28 vs 23.5 degress WOT timing made absolutely zero difference on my TSP Ls6 head setup. This "big" 237cc head produces 325rwtq at 2500 rpms, on stock 10.5 compression.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 05-04-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Im not joking the joke is on you and your wallet.... Dont try to infer what I meant in my post, its obviously over your head.
You may be laughing all the way to the bank but I'll be laughing all the way to the dyno and track. Patriots are decent heads for those who don't have alot of money and or are not looking for every last HP. But ETP 215's as well as AFR 205's can and do add anywhere from 10-25 rwhp above and beyond what the budget heads will do.

I'll pay an extra $1,000 for another 20 rwhp. But I am looking to do alot of drag racing and minimal street racing so I fall into the "wants every last HP crowd". That's why I ordered ETP 215's and a custom cam.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Patriots. They flow good, perform good and are priced good. Just don't kid yourself into thinking they dyno as good as the more expensive ones do. This is yet another classic example of:

"you get what you pay for"
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

guys got the car running tonight and put a small temp tune on it........Holy *****...is all
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by darrensls1
You may be laughing all the way to the bank but I'll be laughing all the way to the dyno and track. Patriots are decent heads for those who don't have alot of money and or are not looking for every last HP. But ETP 215's as well as AFR 205's can and do add anywhere from 10-25 rwhp above and beyond what the budget heads will do.

I'll pay an extra $1,000 for another 20 rwhp. But I am looking to do alot of drag racing and minimal street racing so I fall into the "wants every last HP crowd". That's why I ordered ETP 215's and a custom cam.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Patriots. They flow good, perform good and are priced good. Just don't kid yourself into thinking they dyno as good as the more expensive ones do. This is yet another classic example of:

"you get what you pay for"
Glad you believe that, ETP is a good company no doubt...but dont be suprised if you dont find that extra 20rwhp over these Patriot heads.

Quick Reply: Just In ! Patriot Ls6 heads! pics..flow #'s