Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spend more money and get the turbo 427
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Launching!

If you're looking for big numbers on the (relatively) cheap, IMO, your best bet is stock cubed, stock heads, with forged pistons, rods, stock crank, and a big *** Paxton SC. (Or Vortech)
Old 05-05-2006, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I am not looking to go ultra cheap, I can still spend a few bucks. The supercharger idea isn't bad, but I had a supercharger before and I did not like it near as much as my old turbo setup.

So I think will be be going N/A with big shot of juice. Also the 408 is an iron block correct, but I would like to keep the weight down as well.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with a 408 instead of the 427. You could build a badass 408 vs a budget 427 for the same price.

Nitrous is more expensive than most people think
Old 05-05-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

The turbo route IMO will be a little bit cheaper.

The difference between stock crank/forged slugs/TT vs shortblock 427 isnt that much. Then do the same thing but with built assembly/TT/cam/heads vs longblock 427 and you're still in about the same ballpark between the two.

You're going to have to buy an intake/TB/fuel system either way. So those prices Im not really considering to be much different. But once you add in the nitrous system, thats where the kicker comes in. Thats about $1000 for the system, then factor in the pills, window switch and if you want to upgrade switches, bottle warmer, remote opener, purge kit etc you're just increasing the price. But the same thing can be said for a boost controller/turbo timer, tuning etc.

Either way, you're probably looking at 10k as your minimum investment. After that, it'll just be what're some secondary items you're adding in to make this function the way it should.

Both sound like badass builds, and can make the power you're after. But between the 2 options you listed, I believe the turbo setup will be a cheaper route.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

SiL3NtXWS6 You are not understanding me. I am not going with a budget anything. If I go with a 427 it will not be a half a$$ 427, it will be a monster warhawks block and all. I don't want to go budget and get cheap parts, becuase then more crap breaks. And 10K will barely get you a turbo kit for a c5, not to mention building the engine even stock cubes won't be cheap. So for the money, a turbo setup is't worth it for me. And to get a little more reliability and weight savings I will be going with the warhawks lsx block which is twice as thick as a c5r block and cost's as much as a resleeved ls block. I might as well go with what can take the abuse.

408 wouldn't be bad at all, but I would like a little more out of it than the 408 will provide, not to mention the weight savings on the nose of the car.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blown2kss
SiL3NtXWS6 You are not understanding me. I am not going with a budget anything. If I go with a 427 it will not be a half a$$ 427, it will be a monster warhawks block and all. I don't want to go budget and get cheap parts, becuase then more crap breaks. And 10K will barely get you a turbo kit for a c5, not to mention building the engine even stock cubes won't be cheap. So for the money, a turbo setup is't worth it for me. And to get a little more reliability and weight savings I will be going with the warhawks lsx block which is twice as thick as a c5r block and cost's as much as a resleeved ls block. I might as well go with what can take the abuse.

408 wouldn't be bad at all, but I would like a little more out of it than the 408 will provide, not to mention the weight savings on the nose of the car.
Depends on who's doing your turbo work, in all honesty.

You can buy the turbo parts yourself, hot and cold for probably ~3500-5 for a single, and ~5-7 for twins. Now if you want an Lingenfelter kit...THATS going to cost you a pretty penny, but you get a warranty and a lot of R&D/engineering behind that package aswell.

IMO, the cost difference between either of these builds isnt going to be THAT extreme.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

I know that it isn't going to be that extreme, but it will be several grand more after installation. There will also be more down time, more parts to break, more heat, and more weight. I haven't seen a kit for the c5 that will produce 800+ rwhp installed for under 10k, not to mention the motor work and install. Unless I was going for more driveability I won't go the turbo route.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

You're right, there arent turbo kits installed for the C5 that'll do what you're wanting for under 10k. But I wasnt including installed pricing w/ my analogies, I was just basing it off of pricing alone.

This is just my opinion on what I felt the pricing was going to be. It might be 3-5k difference, might be 8-10k. Its all dependant upon who's doing your work, what parts you're going with etc. It sounds like you've got a good build going on, and either way you go it'll be one hell of a buildup.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

when I actually get to, it will be sweet.

but that won't be until winter, I actually want to drive my car this summer.