Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shortblock, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shortblock, few questions

Just had my short block rebuilt with lunati rods, and diamond pistons. Block ended up being decked a decent ammount, and the assembly team told me the diamond pistons stuck up just abit more than the factory ones anyway. I am worried about head to pistons clearance in this car with factory head gaskets, any idea how I will be? I forget exact specs, will have to get that later. They recommended a .054 or a .060 head gasket for the car.. from cometic. Now if I go with cometic.. lets say the final bore came out to 7 over from factory... which head gasket would I need to go with? I noticed on thunders site they had them for 3.905 bore.. but not with .60 or .54 thickness etc, any help with this is much appreciated.

And also what is the best way of priming the motor before hitting it with the starter?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
Just had my short block rebuilt with lunati rods, and diamond pistons. Block ended up being decked a decent ammount, and the assembly team told me the diamond pistons stuck up just abit more than the factory ones anyway. I am worried about head to pistons clearance in this car with factory head gaskets, any idea how I will be? I forget exact specs, will have to get that later. They recommended a .054 or a .060 head gasket for the car.. from cometic. Now if I go with cometic.. lets say the final bore came out to 7 over from factory... which head gasket would I need to go with? I noticed on thunders site they had them for 3.905 bore.. but not with .60 or .54 thickness etc, any help with this is much appreciated.

And also what is the best way of priming the motor before hitting it with the starter?

Thanks
Not sure on the gasket thing, but for priming, when I installed my 402 I disconnected the coil pack harness plug, then did some short cranks like you would starting it normally, then reconnected the harness and started it up, immediate oil pressure.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Not sure on the gasket thing, but for priming, when I installed my 402 I disconnected the coil pack harness plug, then did some short cranks like you would starting it normally, then reconnected the harness and started it up, immediate oil pressure.

Yea, they told me today hitting it with the starter without coil is dangerous, given the fact that it has literally no oil.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock
Yea, they told me today hitting it with the starter without coil is dangerous, given the fact that it has literally no oil.
Mine is fine, and a ton of people do it that way. You can manually turn the crank with a socket and breaker bar, have fun though There is no other way to prime the pump other than turning the motor over.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know about the head gasket issue?