Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

machining a new block

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machining a new block

Let's say I had a brand new block and was building a stock cube motor (or maybe a stock bore, 4" stroker motor)...what type of machining would need to be done on the new block before assembly began?
thanks in advance for answering my noob question...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a brand-new block, and you're sticking to a stock cube engine (OEM crank), then I'd say you wouldn't need to do any machine work.

If you go the stroker route, you'll be replacing the crank, rods & pistons, too, which means you'll be removing the main bearing caps, getting new main bearing cap bolts and/or studs, and installing a new rotating assembly. I would at least have the crank bore checked by someone competent, just to make sure it is straight/parallel/on-center. It probably won't need to be align honed, but if you're going to spend the bucks on a stroker set-up, it won't hurt you to make sure everything is exactly correct from the start. You'll need to be sure that #8 piston has had its underside machined, too, so it clears your crank's reluctor wheel. A lot of companies offer forged, off-the-shelf pistons with #8 already machined for a stroker set-up, but it's something you'll want to check. You'll also need to have the block clearance-notched for the rod bolts. Minimum clearance between the rotating assembly, and the block, is .030.

Don't forget new (aftermarket) pushrods.