Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot golds/LG G5X-3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a G5X3 with PP gold springs. I have zero concerns running these springs.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

As mentioned earlier in this post we called to talk to Lou about the "numerous" failures of our springs. Lou was not in so we spoke with one of the guys there. He informed us that there has not been a Patriot product at LG in over 3 years. Our spring has not been out but about 2.5 years. So it may be that LG has not used our Patriot Gold springs. We left a message for Lou and never heard back. We have no problems at all with LG, in fact we suggest their cams to many customers. Just the other day we tested a set of our springs that were being ran on a G5X3 and had about 20k on them. They all tested within a couple of pounds of our advertised specs. We also tested a set used with a F13 for 26k miles that were right at our advertised rate. This spring has been a great spring ever since we came out with it. As you all know many of our competitors have followed our lead and have began using them. The Patriot Gold spring remains the leader in the industry.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously you'll be fine. The Patriot springs are a very dependable spring. ran them with the 231/237 with no issues, ran them with the Patriot stage II LS6 heads & F13 with no issues, & Im currently running them in my 408 with a cam that has good bit over .600 lift.

As far as being noisey goes, what do you expect with a stiff spring? Mine arent that noisey at all.

I say go for, dont listen to the haters.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend wasn't the only person to have problems with the patriot springs. a neighbor who was doing the install himself (ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC) had an engine failure that he attributed to the patriots. however even with his credentials he could've overlooked something. my personal opinion is that patriot makes a good product, but i wouldn't use them on anything above a .580 lift. my cam is .600 intake .608 exhaust so i went with the comp 921's for the extra insurance. yes i know patriots are rated to handle .620 of lift but I wanted a little more room under the margin. Had Livernois Motorsports in Michigan been able to do all the work for the price that LG did, then I would've spent my money in my home state, but they were $8,000 more. Love this forum!!!!
By the way gunnar, I am not knocking your stuff, but I am entitled to suggest something other then patriot when price isnt a concern. With all the money I spent a couple hundred was nothing.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camSSaro
I just ordered the ever so popular LG motorsport g5x-3 cam, but opted for the patriot gold springs and retainers.(for price reasons) what problems could I run into in the near and far future using them. Also I noticed people upgrading the oil pumps to the ls6. Is this just more efficient and pumps more? Anyone have one for sale?

thanks for you input
Corey
My brother ran the PRC's in his SS with a G5x3 and spun it to 6800 frequently for 10k miles. He had zero problems.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
If you want your stuff done right, set up an appointment with LG. If you are a high dollar customer I guarantee they will hook you up. When I mean high dollar I mean getting a head/cam/intake/exhaust done, not just a new air filter. The more you spend the more they seem to discount. JMO

i guess we both went to a different LG motorsports, i spent 10g's and that is definetly not how they work. and guess what, they lost me, and my money, as a customer forever as they were not willing to work with me at all

about lg bashing the PP springs, the 921's are nice springs and so are the PP springs. they will both work with that cam, but which do you think LG makes more money off of???

that's all
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

my friend wasn't the only person to have problems with the patriot springs. a neighbor who was doing the install himself (ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC) had an engine failure that he attributed to the patriots. however even with his credentials he could've overlooked something. my personal opinion is that patriot makes a good product, but i wouldn't use them on anything above a .580 lift. my cam is .600 intake .608 exhaust so i went with the comp 921's for the extra insurance. yes i know patriots are rated to handle .620 of lift but I wanted a little more room under the margin. Had Livernois Motorsports in Michigan been able to do all the work for the price that LG did, then I would've spent my money in my home state, but they were $8,000 more. Love this forum!!!!
By the way gunnar, I am not knocking your stuff, but I am entitled to suggest something other then patriot when price isnt a concern. With all the money I spent a couple hundred was nothing.
Well if you had any idea of what you were talking about, you would know that you wouldve had the extra "room under the margin" Last I checked they were rated @ .650 & I know they didnt change them. Where did you hear they are rated @ .620? If that was the case, then I would have been screwed already. Like mentioned above, which ones do you think they make the most money off? I think they may have laid the pipe to you, $6000 for a H/C package? thats insane. I have little less then half of that in my 408ci setup.

And as far as your friend goes, incase you havent noticed about 90% of the problems that happen on here, normally start out somewhat like you said "ASE certified mechanic" Had issues. What exactly happend there? Was they ever any proof of product failure?

Last edited by Z'mnypit; 05-11-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Not to knock the ASE certification process, but I've met more than a few jokers who were ASE certified.

The PP Gold/PRC Platinum/AFR Standard springs are all the same and they are in quite a few cars that run cams with XE-R lobes or other aggressive lobes and there isn't widespread engine destruction.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have just made a HUGE mistake. Do Not install this cam with those junk springs. Get the comp 921 springs and comp lifters. My valvetrain has had no problems, and I also have flycut pistons. Call LG Motorsports and talk to Bobby or Anthony, they will set you straight. I am telling you man, you are looking at engine failure if you use those springs. Please don't use them. My buddy learned the hard way.
Again, I see you bad mouthing Patriot Springs. What bad luck did YOU have with them? Just because a buddy of yours had a problem doesn't mean they are JUNK, as you put it. Like I said in the other thread that you were bashing them in, I have revved my motor to 7000rpms with stock rod bolts and Patriot valve springs without one single problem. I drag race my car at least two-three times a week, again, no problems. Obviously your friend had no clue what the hell he was doing. Don't go around bad mouthing products that you know NOTHING about them! We have installed several Patriot Spring kits without one single problem!

If you are a high dollar customer I guarantee they will hook you up. When I mean high dollar I mean getting a head/cam/intake/exhaust done, not just a new air filter. The more you spend the more they seem to discount. JMO
Wow, typical of LG, but I treat all of my customers the same. Regardless of how much they spend, high dollar or a few dollars, they always receive the best customer service.

Last edited by 4thGenCamaro; 05-11-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Wow, typical of LG, but I treat all of my customers the same. Regardless of how much they spend, high dollar or a few dollars, they always receive the best customer service.
they probably charged him for parts he didn't recieve so it was no big deal dropping the price
don't ask me how i know
absolutely no attention to detail
Old 05-11-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your neighbor's ASE cert means about as much as farting in an elevator. Both stink and anyone can accomplish the feat. Everyone can make mistakes, even the most highly skilled and experienced folks. There can even be problems with seemingly unrelated hardware that can cause a failure.

Bashing a product based on second-hand knowledge, especially without clear proof of the cause, doesn't do much but rattle the bars a little. The Patriot golds have a strong track record, and I didn't hesitate to purchase a set for my own car. My fiancee has been running them in her turbocharged daily driver Camaro for about a year now, with absolutely no problems as well.

You'll often times find instant experts on message forums that unfairly rep a product (good or bad). The best advice I can give is to look for direct response and trends, more than isolated incidents and second-hand testimonials..
Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Retired Street Racer

Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Last edited by COSPEED; 07-08-2006 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have the 921's and a buddy of mine has the Patriot's I dont dd mine but he dd's his and have had them in his car for about 15k now we both have x3's and he hasnt had any problems but is valvetrain seems to be a bit louder than mine but they seem to be holding ok
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Launching!

in my earlier post I wasn't bashing Lg I bought there G5X4 cam for reason I think they have great product. Lou is not who I spoke with when I called it someone else but I have had no problems with PP springs
Old 05-11-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well I think the point was proved now! Owned!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Guys this thread is geting a bit out of hand.
I dont deal with LG but calm down a little on the bashing. I dont mind people speaking their minds but the topic of this thread is about the PP gold springs.

And to those of you who thing the PP golds springs aren't very good.
Check out TEA/PP/TSP/AFR/ETP (on their GM casting heads) 5 of the top LSx cylinder head companies they all use this exact spring.
That should be enough proof.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I was just informed by one of the salesman at LG that Patriot Golds wouldnt work only 921's. It could have been just a exteme opinion by that particular salesman, but enough said I am happy with my purchase and the new setup will be up and running by the end of next week. Thanks for all of your guys feedback. You have helped out tremendously
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

so, which ones did you go with???
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the mods dont want LG to get bashed then their salesman need to shut up bashing PP springs for no reason other than they dont carry them. Im sure LG is one of the best places to get work done at but they are just one of many outlets.