Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot golds/LG G5X-3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot golds/LG G5X-3 cam

I just ordered the ever so popular LG motorsport g5x-3 cam, but opted for the patriot gold springs and retainers.(for price reasons) what problems could I run into in the near and far future using them. Also I noticed people upgrading the oil pumps to the ls6. Is this just more efficient and pumps more? Anyone have one for sale?

thanks for you input
Corey
Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have just made a HUGE mistake. Do Not install this cam with those junk springs. Get the comp 921 springs and comp lifters. My valvetrain has had no problems, and I also have flycut pistons. Call LG Motorsports and talk to Bobby or Anthony, they will set you straight. I am telling you man, you are looking at engine failure if you use those springs. Please don't use them. My buddy learned the hard way.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

running g5x4 with Patriot golds no problems I know LG bashes these springs but Gunnar at Patriot has called them about this
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG hates them, but just about every other engine builder loves them. I say use them.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
You may have just made a HUGE mistake. Do Not install this cam with those junk springs. Get the comp 921 springs and comp lifters. My valvetrain has had no problems, and I also have flycut pistons. Call LG Motorsports and talk to Bobby or Anthony, they will set you straight. I am telling you man, you are looking at engine failure if you use those springs. Please don't use them. My buddy learned the hard way.

Sorry if your friend has had problems with the spring, but he is in that 1 out of a 1000 groupe.
These springs flat out work.
I would used them with almost every popular cam out there.
I know that the 921's are at the top but they are way too expensive.
The Gold springs kit is the best bang for the buck spring kit out there.
There are many guys running the gold with the T rex which has a ton of lift and a aggressive ramp rate.
I would be careful if using the LSK lobes, but I know some people are trying it.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

I have the Patriot's on mine with no problems. I have around 5K miles on them, I shift at 7K at the track and have ran a couple of bottles through it with no problems. I'd say go for it.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the help. I have heard this arguement for a while now and I like the odds. I will install the patriots and hope for the best. whats worst case scenario that would happen and how can I avoid it?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Worst case, a spring breaks, you drop a valve and bust a piston causing the rod to swing over and knock a hole in the block, oil and water comes out of the hole, gets under your tires and causes you to spin and slide into a bus full of nun's.

Just take your time and make sure everything is installed properly, they will be fine.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camSSaro
I just ordered the ever so popular LG motorsport g5x-3 cam, but opted for the patriot gold springs and retainers.(for price reasons) what problems could I run into in the near and far future using them. Also I noticed people upgrading the oil pumps to the ls6. Is this just more efficient and pumps more? Anyone have one for sale?

thanks for you input
Corey
PP golds are noisy! and they get louder over time. I have them now and Im sewing machine king. When its time to change, im going with Comp 921s.

PS- they are not junk, they are just as good as Comp 921, no one has broken them yet. Those that have did not warm up to operating temps before WOT. That is the only rule you must follow, no WOT until engine is 180 deg
Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Well wasnt expecting such an elaborate story but hope that never happens! thanks man every opinion counts and im spending a lot of money on this setup and having it put in professionally so I hope everything works out. It sounds like I can be pretty confident that the golds will hold up.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll be fine with the Patriots they are an excellent spring. Im not so sure the comp 921s are actually even better....
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys talking **** about the Patriot Gold springs need to hush if you dont know what you are talking about. Just because a spring kit it priced low doesnt mean anything.

The Patriot Gold kit is the same kit as the PRC kit and those springs are very good springs.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

I have also heard that the Patriot and PRC springs are the same exact springs.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DocEwww
I have also heard that the Patriot and PRC springs are the same exact springs.
Yep, you heard correctly.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

i went with the G5X3 on the exact same spring kit. its going in soon....its all apart right now. everyone else says they are just FINE W/ NO PROBLEMS!
I'D trust Em.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

This site is a blessing for all of us for theinfo that it provides, but its a double edge sword because there is always some moron that spouts off with something that couldnt be further from the truth.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG hates them, but just about every other engine builder loves them. I say use them.
I would like to hear more of the reasoning as to why Lou @ LGM does not care for the PP Golds. I've been happy with mine. Going on on 10K on the lil 224.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I would like to hear more of the reasoning as to why Lou @ LGM does not care for the PP Golds. I've been happy with mine. Going on on 10K on the lil 224.
if you have priced anything from Lou that will answer your question
Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Full-Force
This site is a blessing for all of us for theinfo that it provides, but its a double edge sword because there is always some moron that spouts off with something that couldnt be further from the truth.
So true. Alot of blatant BS is pulled over peoples eyes in favor of potential sales. You have to really watch who you believe.....
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Look fellas, don't bash Lou and his company. They saved me approximately $8000.00 on my project for the low cost of gas and miles from Michigan to Texas and back. I wasn't charged for a lot of things that I should've been charged for. I also left the shop owing Lou over $6,000. I think that says a lot about the man and his willingness to help out his customers. Lou never said don't use patriots, he said he advised using the comp 921's Since I don't have the money to rebuild this motor anytime soon, I thought I would increase my chances of running well for a long time by using all the best stuff available. Bobby at LG was able to package my purchase and gave me a hell of a price break. Hell the guy even gave me a place to stay for the week at no cost. Some of you guys need to get your facts straight. Patriots are a really good spring, but comp 921's are just better. That reminds me I still owe Lou some money, no interest applied either. If you want your stuff done right, set up an appointment with LG. If you are a high dollar customer I guarantee they will hook you up. When I mean high dollar I mean getting a head/cam/intake/exhaust done, not just a new air filter. The more you spend the more they seem to discount. JMO