Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine spins halfway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006 | 06:02 PM
Launching!

Default Engine spins halfway?

I got a motor used, and when my tuner tried to spin it by hand, it only went Half way. Does anyone have a clue what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2006 | 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

It could be a number of things. I would pull the value covers off first and check the push rod/rockers/values. If you do not see anything I would pull the timing cover. I guess the motor is still out of the car. I would also pull the oil pan and check the rods. How many miles are on the motor? You might just want to rebuilt it.
Good luck with it.
Bill
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
It could be a number of things. I would pull the value covers off first and check the push rod/rockers/values. If you do not see anything I would pull the timing cover. I guess the motor is still out of the car. I would also pull the oil pan and check the rods. How many miles are on the motor? You might just want to rebuilt it.
Good luck with it.
Bill
It has 2200 miles on it. My Tuner said the everything under the valve covers are good.
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:25 PM
Banned

I may have soem rust in the cylinders. It wont take much to stop it. had a NEW engine sitting for a year in my garage. It did the same thing. Starter would only bump it, after about 30 minutes it finally cranked over
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SShark
It has 2200 miles on it. My Tuner said the everything under the valve covers are good.
Like Bill said, also check out the front of the motor. If nothing is obviously wrong in there, then remove the timing chain and see it's the crank or the cam that isn't spinning.

2200 miles = 8800 passes down the 1/4. Ok sorry... just kidding
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by indyboom
I may have soem rust in the cylinders. It wont take much to stop it. had a NEW engine sitting for a year in my garage. It did the same thing. Starter would only bump it, after about 30 minutes it finally cranked over
That's a good point, before you go taking it apart. Are you using a big breaker bar? Are the spark plugs out?
Old 05-10-2006 | 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by indyboom
That could be it. I did see a little rust on the motor when it came in.

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2006 | 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
That's a good point, before you go taking it apart. Are you using a big breaker bar? Are the spark plugs out?
Honestly I don't know what a big breaker Bar is. I'm not working on it myself, Rick @ Synergy----> is.