Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good mild/street CAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Lol.....not to get into a pissing match, but I don't think your cam sounds close to stock. My cam isn't even as noticeable as yours, and I was pulled over and had my car searched because the officer said my idle didn't sound stock. The poster said he wanted a close to stock idle and wanted to pass the sniffer. IMO, your cam isn't the best candidate on either account. At -2 overlap, that cam will usually fail the sniffer. Thats just my opinion though.
Thats it, im getting a vid of my interior so you see how close this cam is. Yes you are now in a pissing match..I just whipped mine out! stay tuned....
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright looks like we get to have the interior recording of one of these cams. Good deal. Maybe we should have more pissing matches in the future :-?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eamador11
Thats it, im getting a vid of my interior so you see how close this cam is. Yes you are now in a pissing match..I just whipped mine out! stay tuned....

O.K. I'll whip mine out! http://sd.ootoot.com/Content/whistles/jeff.wmv

This is the cam that got me pulled over, and is more quiet than yours. It's a 224/224 .581"/.568" on a 114(no advance) @ 900 rpm idle. More important than interior sound, is tailpipe sound.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

How do you manage to get through emissions with that thing???
Sounds great, it is noticible that you have a cam though. Not the most stealth setup I have heard.

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
O.K. I'll whip mine out! http://sd.ootoot.com/Content/whistles/jeff.wmv

This is the cam that got me pulled over, and is more quiet than yours. It's a 224/224 .581"/.568" on a 114(no advance) @ 900 rpm idle. More important than interior sound, is tailpipe sound.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
How do you manage to get through emissions with that thing???
Sounds great, it is noticible that you have a cam though. Not the most stealth setup I have heard.

Thanks ......I might be trading the GMMG for a hooker catback to make it a little more stealthy. The cam will pass the sniffer, it's the longtubes I have to sneak by. I haven't had it smog it yet, but I think I've got it squared away.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Nice. She must be a pretty quick car. How often do you have to change the valve springs?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

nods, its harder to tell he has cam work, than it is to notice he has headers/cat back. hvaing heads too also makes it that much more non stock wot sound and idling.. I tend to think of it having a cam when you hear the lope.. when it has his sound w/o hardly any lope I uusally think headers/cat back.. and when you see him run at wot, i think heads. shrugs. not very scientific and im no expert
Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dentalguy
nods, its harder to tell he has cam work, than it is to notice he has headers/cat back. hvaing heads too also makes it that much more non stock wot sound and idling.. I tend to think of it having a cam when you hear the lope.. when it has his sound w/o hardly any lope I uusally think headers/cat back.. and when you see him run at wot, i think heads. shrugs. not very scientific and im no expert
yes youre no expert but you are a low life that doesnt man up and pay his bills when he causes and auto accident.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

I agree....I think the heads give it a deeper sound. My car seems louder than cars with bigger, lopier cams and stock heads. While you can hear the cam, it definately doesn't have alot of lope to it, especially at a 900 rpm idle. My old 216/220 cam was probably at least as noticeable, if not more so. I think the much slower ramp rates of the 216/220 had something to do with that.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Will either of these not have a large loping sound and still be streetable with decent MPG?
My cam has all of this and nice HP and TQ #s.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default Take it to PMs

Originally Posted by Quik
yes youre no expert but you are a low life that doesnt man up and pay his bills when he causes and auto accident.

If you have issues with somethign take it to PMs.

As for the above statement, you weren;t there, the three of us who were agreed no one was at fault and we all paid to fix our own rides.

If you fool around and **** gets messed up, then you pay to play don't you? If you cant afford to fix it, then dont use it.

I dont expect one of his friends to not take his side.. but I also dont expect you to put your nose where it doesnt belong. Trolling around waiting to take these cheap shot posts at myself, when you dont add anythign to the thread is stupid and childish.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry you guys had an accident. Hope you can work it out. But it's not a good idea to get into an argument as the mods may lock the thread.

I'm just looking for some good cam info from you guys. Keep it comming.

If you have issues with somethign take it to PMs.

As for the above statement, you weren;t there, the three of us who were agreed no one was at fault and we all paid to fix our own rides.

If you fool around and **** gets messed up, then you pay to play don't you? If you cant afford to fix it, then dont use it.

I dont expect one of his friends to not take his side.. but I also dont expect you to put your nose where it doesnt belong. Trolling around waiting to take these cheap shot posts at myself, when you dont add anythign to the thread is stupid and childish.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Nods its no biggie Normally I ignore him and go on with the thread, but this is like the 5th time he has done it. Wish a mod would get involved lol.. cause my mommy might get mad!! Hehe

But in gettingback to the cam info... Your car isn;t going to sound anywhere near stock no matter what cam you put in there with headers and that magna-flow.

I had mac mids and a borla cat-back and that was even loud as crap. Maybe I am getting it a little confused Are you looking for stock sound but modded speed and performance? Or you just don't want it sounding lopey/cammed?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nods its no biggie Normally I ignore him and go on with the thread, but this is like the 5th time he has done it. Wish a mod would get involved lol.. cause my mommy might get mad!! Hehe

But in gettingback to the cam info... Your car isn;t going to sound anywhere near stock no matter what cam you put in there with headers and that magna-flow.

I had mac mids and a borla cat-back and that was even loud as crap. Maybe I am getting it a little confused Are you looking for stock sound but modded speed and performance? Or you just don't want it sounding lopey/cammed?

If you don't want a lopey cam, I can tell you that you will NOT hear the CheaTR or GT2-3 cams.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

as for the Stealth cam vid, http://www.motorsporttech.com/media/..._idlesound.mpg
Old 05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe not stock sounding but I definitly don't want a large amount of lope to the engine at idle. Nor do I want to have any lag in torque down low. Need a cam that has fast romp rates and does not have to rev past 4.5K to get the most out of it.

In all need a good street cam with good driving characteristics.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe not stock sounding but I definitly don't want a large amount of lope to the engine at idle. Nor do I want to have any lag in torque down low. Need a cam that has fast romp rates and does not have to rev past 4.5K to get the most out of it.

In all need a good street cam with good driving characteristics.

That sounds exactly like the TSP 224R to me!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

the idle seems high enough on that to mask the cam.. or perhaps that is the dead give-a-way that warns you there is a hidden cam there.. and not merely headers and cat-back.

Then again I havent heard that many vettes at idle and such..

If you don't go too overboard.. Id imagine you could go with a stealth cam.. get maybe mac mids and keep stock cats and exhaust.. put on a lid. that might be stock sounding perhaps.. Dunno how restrictive that would be.. but I'd think there prolly is some room for aded flow on the stock exhaust.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lopey idles and emissions can be improved on these "marginal" cams by simply increasing the idle a bit (but below something that will flag an emissions problem) and good tuning.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the basic consensus so far is if you dont have to pass a sniffer, a good milder street cam is the 224/228 duration cam with a good tune behind it idling at about 800-900, correct?