Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C swap with problem. Coolant in exhaust...NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C swap with problem. Coolant in exhaust...NEED HELP!!

Long story short...

Setup:
TSP LS6 Heads w/CNC and competition valve job
Stock GM gaskets
ARP hex head stud kit

Finished my H/C swap last night, friend came over to tune it. Car started right up, oil pressure came up to spec....and then the problem showed up.

Car is blowing quite a bit of coolant out the exhaust. Have no clue why. New GM gaskets installed correctly, ARP stud kit installed per ARP/GM instructions (torque values/sequence). Block was cleaned, bolts were both chased out with an old grinded down head bolt and paper towels. This process was completed a couple times on both sides. ARP studs went in okay and were installed using 30W oil as stated per ARP instructions.

Friend (well respected/worked on many many F-bodys) recommended that I pull the plugs, turn the motor over and see which cylinder the coolant is coming from. With the heads being CNC'ed, he believed that the port job could have possibly gotten into a water jacket. No water can be seen leaking from around the heads.

So my question is, has anyone ever had a port job get into a water jacket? Could this be my problem?

Any suggestions/input/help is greatly appreciated!

This really sucks!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:16 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i was think that too, ported into water jacket.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update....

Pulled drivers side plugs....all four are dry....

Pulled passenger side....#4 & #6 are wet.....#2 & #8 are dry....

So I'm think either a bad headgasket (either weak/damaged or had oil/grease on surface) or I've got a head that was ported and it got into the water jacket.

Any help guys is greatly appreciated. I value any and all input.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

call the place u got the heads from and see what they say.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure heads gaskets were right ones 853 castings have that recess near combustion chamber. if you ordered heads that are 02 and newer and a head gasket for your year 2000 then the gasket is wrong. So your new LS6 heads will need a head gasket from model years 02 and newer.

97-01 gasket number=12498543
02 & Newer gasket number=12498544
Old 05-21-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GDM Z28
call the place u got the heads from and see what they say.
Yeah I plan on calling TSP first thing in the morning and see what they can do for me.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
make sure heads gaskets were right ones 853 castings have that recess near combustion chamber. if you ordered heads that are 02 and newer and a head gasket for your year 2000 then the gasket is wrong. So your new LS6 heads will need a head gasket from model years 02 and newer.

Does this same rule apply to 243 castings? This is what was put on the car and I used the 12498543 gaskets with these heads.

Another update...since I had all the plugs pulled, I turned the motor over a few times. All plugs on drivers side are only spraying fuel. #4 and #6 on the passenger side (the two with wet plugs that I pulled out) are pumping coolant. So I confirmed my wet plugs.

Started tearing it back down to pull the passenger side head. I'll update as I find out more. At least the ARP studs I put in will make the job a little easier.

Keep the input coming. What do you think? Bad gasket or bad port job?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

I would say it would really be on the gasket side, being that these heads are cnc machined, every set they do is pretty much exactly the same as all the others. I have a set on my car and they are very well done.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes especially the 243. let me set up a link

edit.. Link on Gaskets

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 05-21-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes especially the 243. let me set up a link

edit.. Link on Gaskets
So which gaskets would I need. These are new 243 LS6 castings, going on a 2000 LS1 block?

The one gaskets package that I looked at was the old PN: 12498543. I'll have to double check on the other package when I get home.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

8GTOKLR,

What about a 2002 LS6 block & pre-2002 AFR 205 heads? GM dealer told me the major difference between gaskets was the material. Am not questioning your information. I just want to be sure the gasket used will be OK. Used 2002 LS6 gaskets (12498544). See any potential for trouble? Thanks

marv, not trying to hyjack the thread. Figured if we get as much info. out as possible, others will also benefit.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
8GTOKLR,

What about a 2002 LS6 block & pre-2002 AFR 205 heads? GM dealer told me the major difference between gaskets was the material. Am not questioning your information. I just want to be sure the gasket used will be OK. Used 2002 LS6 gaskets (12498544). See any potential for trouble? Thanks

marv, not trying to hyjack the thread. Figured if we get as much info. out as possible, others will also benefit.
Not a problem man, hijack away! I'm just trying to determine if I need a new set of heads, or a new set of gaskets. I might have the wrong set of gaskets, but I have a hard time believing that the wrong gaskets could result in the car pumping a bunch (~2 gallons) of coolant out in my driveway....

Seems to me that I'd have to have a much bigger hole present for it to do that.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are your head gaskets the dark gray or the copper looking ones, I got the info from SDPC our sponser give them a call. Coolant will come out if that recessed area on the gasket is used on heads that dont have that area. Look at old heads and you'll see the difference. that article saved me from using the stocker gasket on my 03 241 castings. Marv you'll need the 02 & newer gaskets , check your part numbers that you used.

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 05-22-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are your head gaskets the dark gray or the copper looking ones, I got the info from SDPC our sponser give them a call. Coolant will come out if that recessed area on the gasket is used on heads that dont have that area. Look at old heads and you'll see the difference. that article saved me from using the stocker gasket on my 03 241 castings
Mine were the dark grey version. I tried looking at the old ones, but didn't really compare them to the new ones.

The really odd thing is, that the drivers side plugs were dry and when the motor was spun without plugs, only the fuel mixture came out. The passenger side obviously had two wet plugs and pumped coolant out. So much in fact that it soaked the passenger side area of the engine bay and me as well!

Is it possible that the gasket would function properly on one side, but not the other? Doesn't seem to me that it could happen like that.

Last edited by marv; 05-22-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
8GTOKLR,

Look at the picture on the link. I dont think AFR have put that recess in them like GM did. the 12498544 "should" be fine also you could go with composite gaskets too. AFR should know or SDPC or any other sponser. I am not a goo ru in this relm but after reading that tech article makes be double check what i am ordering.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marv
Mine were the dark grey version. I tried looking at the old ones, but didn't really compare them to the new ones.

The really odd thing is, that the drivers side plugs were dry and when the motor was spun without plugs, only the fuel mixture came out. The passenger side obviously had two wet plugs and pumped coolant out. So much in fact that it soaked the passenger side area of the engine bay and me as well!

Is it possible that the gasket would function properly on one side, but not the other? Doesn't seem to me that it could happen like that.
Those gray have 2 diff part numbers one for passanger and other for Drivers. if you confirmed you used the gray ones then go out and get a set of the "orange" or the 02 newer. they are like 35 bucks ish
Old 05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Look at the picture on the link. I dont think AFR have put that recess in them like GM did. the 12498544 "should" be fine also you could go with composite gaskets too. AFR should know or SDPC or any other sponser. I am not a goo ru in this relm but after reading that tech article makes be double check what i am ordering.

Yes, you are correct. Called AFR who confirmed there is no recess in the head & that the LS6 gasket will work. Thank-you for the assistance.

marv, sounds like the fail safe way is to go is with the 2002 (orange) gaskets; @ least on the leaking side. Another benefit is that you won't have all the flakey crap stuck to the head & block the next time the heads are pulled. Would also suggest copper head gasket spray for the install.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those gray have 2 diff part numbers one for passanger and other for Drivers. if you confirmed you used the gray ones then go out and get a set of the "orange" or the 02 newer. they are like 35 bucks ish
I may end up going that route. Is it even possible that the wrong head gaskets could result in that much coolant being pumped out?

The car ran for maybe 3 or 4 minutes....tops. I put in two gallons of coolant to refill the radiator before starting. Once it was up and running we put maybe a quart more. I went back to fill the jug back up and realized that a river was coming out the back of the car. We checked the radiator, realized the motor was skipping so we shut it down.

I guess it's possible, but I just can't see how that much coolant could be getting past that gasket.

And I have a hard time believing that the CNC job got into a jacket. I'm sure it can happen, but TSP (and their customers) have had such good luck with these heads.

I'm stumped.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update...

Sure enough, got home, pulled the intake and I had three wet cylinders on the passenger side. #6 was actually holding about 3/4" of coolant. Drivers side looks good as best I can tell.

Talked to TSP and they will send me another ASAP. That's good customer service right there!!!

Should have it back together and (hopefully) running right by Wednesday night.

Thanks to those who responded and helped.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad to hear you found the problem & that TSP responded quickly & accordingly. For sure a sign of a good company. Let us know when she's done.