Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid roller FAQ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Solid roller FAQ...

Is there a FAQ for solid roller LS1 applications? I'd love to see some do's and don'ts from the solid roller guys.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me to!
I am thinking of going SR in my next set-up.
Bob
Old 06-11-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Solid Rollers are pretty straight forward.
You just have to make sure you've got enough spring pressure, and you're getting enough oil to the roller wheel.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about...

What kind of valve lash growth is normal from cold start to hot?

How does lash effect power?

Should you wait until the car is fully warmed until you start driving or can you do "light" driving during warmup?

People have said that you should not let a solid roller idle for a long time or cruise @ a low RPM...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
How about...

What kind of valve lash growth is normal from cold start to hot?
On an LS1, we see about .009"-.010" growth from cold to hot.

How does lash effect power?
You can change the engine power curve by adjusting the lash, but you should always keep the lash at the recommended #'s.
Most cam designs have a "clearance ramp" in their design that gently takes the lash out before it opens the valve and when it seats the valve. If you get the lash above this ramp, you will be increasing the acceleration at the first degree of valve motion, and that can cause reliability issues.

Should you wait until the car is fully warmed until you start driving or can you do "light" driving during warmup?
No more then you would with any high performance engine.
When the engine is cold, the lash is tighter then normal. This may hurt the performance a little until the engine warms up, but it doesn't hurt the reliability.

People have said that you should not let a solid roller idle for a long time or cruise @ a low RPM...
That's because normal solid roller lifters need splash oil off the crank to keep the wheels lubricated, and you don't get enough splash oil at low RPM's.
Now most lifter companies offer pressurized oiling to the wheels(They usually have a .025" hole EDM'ed between the oil ring and the where the axle goes through the body). This fixes all the problems we use to have with running solid roller lifters on the street.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

wow, that was well explained.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rjkZ28
wow, that was well explained.
and ALL very true as well!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that reply looks like the basis for an FAQ.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamKing
Most cam designs have a "clearance ramp" in their design that gently takes the lash out before it opens the valve and when it seats the valve. If you get the lash above this ramp, you will be increasing the acceleration at the first degree of valve motion, and that can cause reliability issues.

I've noticed on my comp xe street roller lobes that the lash grows right before you get on the lobe and right after you get off the lobe. Does that sound normal to you CamKing?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I've noticed on my comp xe street roller lobes that the lash grows right before you get on the lobe and right after you get off the lobe. Does that sound normal to you CamKing?
If it's growing by just .002" or less, that's most likely just the cam flexing caused by the springs pushing on the other lobes.
To check this, you can pull off the rockers and put an indicator on the lifter. The basecircle runout should be less then .001". If it's more then that, you've got a poorly made camshaft.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's growing by just .002" or less, that's most likely just the cam flexing caused by the springs pushing on the other lobes.
To check this, you can pull off the rockers and put an indicator on the lifter. The basecircle runout should be less then .001". If it's more then that, you've got a poorly made camshaft.
You got it, .002" or less. I thought that it was the lash ramps you're speaking of but you say it's the cam flexing huh. This setup has 1.95 rockers and 959 comp pacaloys generating around 250seat 700 open so I guess there is some pretty good pressure put on the cam!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

You got it, .002" or less. I thought that it was the lash ramps you're speaking of but you say it's the cam flexing huh. This setup has 1.95 rockers and 959 comp pacaloys generating around 250seat 700 open so I guess there is some pretty good pressure put on the cam!
If I was you, I'd look into running Roller Bearings on the cam.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even with the 55mm journals of the ls1? Is there even room to hog out the cam tunnel to install those large bearings? I'm content with what I have now, but am interested in your thoughts. Erik, my engine builder, of HK Enterprises built the shortblock and knows what i'm running and if he feels confident in the babbit bearings I do to
Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Even with the 55mm journals of the ls1? Is there even room to hog out the cam tunnel to install those large bearings? I'm content with what I have now, but am interested in your thoughts. Erik, my engine builder, of HK Enterprises built the shortblock and knows what i'm running and if he feels confident in the babbit bearings I do to
I've got a lot of customers running them on the stock LS1 block.
With the roller bearings, we see a lot less flex, and we see a lot less tracking on the lobes. It's not a huge deal, but it does help. If you start having cam bearing issues or too much tracking on the lobes, you may want to look into it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a lot of customers running them on the stock LS1 block.
With the roller bearings, we see a lot less flex, and we see a lot less tracking on the lobes. It's not a huge deal, but it does help. If you start having cam bearing issues or too much tracking on the lobes, you may want to look into it.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion! The isky redzone lifters i'm using have priority oiling to the roller wheels so that should help fight tracking i'd "guess" but only time will tell