Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magic Stick V.4 239/242 Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally wouldn't recomend that cam for a DD. it will have a nasty idle and be a complete dog below 3000 rpms. you won't gain but maybe 5 or 10 hp by going with that cam over one much more suitable for the street, and without the supporting race parts (4400 stall, steap gears, and a 7000 rev limiter) you aren't going to go any faster at the track, you may even go slower. my two cents
Old 06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but with a proper setup/tune it would be great if he wants to have a wicked sounding/performing DD. With a good tune, 4000 stall and 3.73s it would be alright on the street. With a tight converter and 3.73s (4.10s if you want to go all out) I think it would drive pretty well. However, there are no anecdotal stories yet since the cam hasn't been released yet. If you are dead set on this cam I would wait and see how it works with other peoples cars.

TSP has a new cam out as well designed to work well with the LS6 heads. In fact, I think they bump up the compression on the LS6 heads with the cam I speak of. I can't remember the specs on it ( it has some pretty high lift numbers so dual springs would still be required). They had it as a package deal for a little under $1500 I believe. Give them a call.

You could probably also go with something smaller cam-only like the TRak or Torquerer 2. You will have more tq and hp down low which would help with the weight disadvantage of the goat. It would still have a sick sounding idle and make 400+rwhp with the right setup. I would look into a stall (at least 3200) and gears (3.73s) with the cam no matter which way you decide to go. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SVT THIS have you put the TRex in your car yet??
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

MS3 (probably MS4 as well) is perfectly streetable. I daily drive my MS3 with 4k stall and dumped duals. It's fun.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I don't want to ruin this guys thread so I'm done posting non-tech info in here. My last "flame" post was edited and I hope we can get it back on topic.
lol i was just asking questions , im up for anyones input , im looking for a cam that will put down great #s with out buying heads right now, so anyone wanna throw out some cams that will do what i want.... thanks all
Old 06-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

Originally Posted by Rubadubdub
Why the heck would anyone want to DD a cam that big. You need to dump lots of fuel at it to have some kind of idle (that's called tuning). The exhaust will reak of gas so bad it will make your eyes water. You'll need a real loose conveter and decent gears to take advantage of the power band with a cam that big. Your gas milage will drop by 10. Some daily driver.

um, yeah that is total bullshit. i have their 235/240 cam and i hope to be going with this one ral soon. my car still gets the same mileage that it did back when it was stock, hell it even drives the same. ya....i hate big cams in a daily driver
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
This is all done on a .580 lift so it's not hammering the valves as hard as the .630+ cams will.
how much lift isn't near as important as the ramp rates. big lift won't have such a drastic effect on the valvesprings if the lobes allow the valves to come off the seat slower. i assume these tsp lobes are similar to the lsk lobes that comp offers, which means this cam should perform very well in a properly setup car.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silver04gto
lol i was just asking questions , im up for anyones input , im looking for a cam that will put down great #s with out buying heads right now, so anyone wanna throw out some cams that will do what i want.... thanks all

I'm in the same boat as you. I would really like to get the ms4 but I'm concerned about valve to piston clearance with that high of a lift. Well the ms4 work on stock car (other than your normal bolt ons)? If it does I may be giving them a call this weekend and maybe get a camshaft package from them!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, but with a proper setup/tune it would be great if he wants to have a wicked sounding/performing DD. With a good tune, 4000 stall and 3.73s it would be alright on the street. With a tight converter and 3.73s (4.10s if you want to go all out) I think it would drive pretty well. However, there are no anecdotal stories yet since the cam hasn't been released yet. If you are dead set on this cam I would wait and see how it works with other peoples cars.

TSP has a new cam out as well designed to work well with the LS6 heads. In fact, I think they bump up the compression on the LS6 heads with the cam I speak of. I can't remember the specs on it ( it has some pretty high lift numbers so dual springs would still be required). They had it as a package deal for a little under $1500 I believe. Give them a call.

You could probably also go with something smaller cam-only like the TRak or Torquerer 2. You will have more tq and hp down low which would help with the weight disadvantage of the goat. It would still have a sick sounding idle and make 400+rwhp with the right setup. I would look into a stall (at least 3200) and gears (3.73s) with the cam no matter which way you decide to go. Good luck and keep us updated!

man does this guy know what he talkin abotu or does he just repeat **** people have told him?

damn i hope no one confuses me for being him because of user names
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

what are the spec's on the ms4? is it just in the lsa and duration or all around diff?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Thats a huge cam to daily drive. I would guess you coudl daily drive a pro stock car if you were willing to put up with it, though. Try and find someone with an MS3, ron jeremy cam, g5x4 or Trex and see how you like the BIG cams. If this is your first cam, I wouldnt suggest starting out with something this big. Take a look at the torquer 2, perhaps.
I agree 100%. All this banter about "my huge cam drives like stock is bullshit". Yeah it may be tolerable or maybe even pretty good to drive, but you cant tune out all the common traits of a huge cam. With the right cam profile, correct tune, and supporting bolt ons almost every cam out there bigger than a 224/.560 has seen 400whp cam only. Again how much more power do you want and at what sacrifice? Lose that 10 down low to gain 10 up high and get worse driveability.

Brandon
Old 06-13-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
you cant tune out all the common traits of a huge cam.
sure you can...just use a harrop intake.

those aussie mfers are running 24x duration cams with 98* lsa...and it idles like a 220/220 on a 115.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVThis
man does this guy know what he talkin abotu or does he just repeat **** people have told him?

damn i hope no one confuses me for being him because of user names
Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00ls1
um, yeah that is total bullshit. i have their 235/240 cam and i hope to be going with this one ral soon. my car still gets the same mileage that it did back when it was stock, hell it even drives the same. ya....i hate big cams in a daily driver
What BS. You're getting the same milage huh? OK. How is that possible? Was the car tuned? Cause if it was, then they had to add more fuel to tame the idle, just raising the idle will burn more gas. They had to add more fuel to keep it from surging at cruise. They had to add more fuel at WOT.

I'm not picking on this cam alone, but this whole trend of slaping a huge cam into your DD and acting like there's no side effects. I would love to know how many miles a year these so called daily drivers that are running around with these huge cams are seeing. I know down south there's lots of open roads where you can rack up the miles but up north the roads aren't quite as open and DD takes on a different aspect for us.

If you think a cam this big is a DD cam, more power to ya. Enjoy and let us know when you swap it out cause the LOOKS you get at a light from teenagers is no longer worth the downsides of all that cam.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s346k
sure you can...just use a harrop intake.

those aussie mfers are running 24x duration cams with 98* lsa...and it idles like a 220/220 on a 115.
Cheater...........I guess you got me on that one. Go spend the $4K on Harrops intake and get a nice idle on it. Also suck the life out of your stock cube engine below 4K rpms.

Brandon
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I didn't expect to read such extreme ownage in this forum. I thought I was in the street racing section for a second there.

And by the way, it's silly to run a cam with that kind of lift unless you have a real purpose for the car other than getting groceries.

My car made 421rwhp cam only with a 236/236 .580 112 LSA using Comp 918 springs which will last forever. How much more can you expect from a N/A stock cubed LS1 without heads? Why hammer the valves when the stock 241 heads run out of flow anyway beyond .590 lift? (point of dimishing returns)
the reason why people go with more lift is because theres more to it than jus matchingn lift to flow numbers. the point you mad is not lost though. a behemath cam wont do better than a smaller matched cam.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Yes SVthis I know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't post (unlike you, who makes a pointless post to continue irrelevant issues). Let's keep this thread mature and share info, and not continue things I tried to drop.

And 1Bad02WS6, no, the cam is not installed. I sent my stall converter back in to be restalled to 4400 as opposed to 4000 since I decided to go with the TRex instead of the MS3. That was just installed and I will be buying/installing a set of 4.10 gears soon as well. I am going to put off the cam install until I get a set of heads so I only have to pay for the tune and install all at once.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Look this isn't a bash, but you are still giving out bad info

It's a much bigger picture out there and what YOU want from a car is not always applicable for everyone else. 4k stall and 4.10's 'can' be a very limiting setup as it will kill your top speed and cruising rpms will be very high.

As for the Torquer 2 don't let it's name confuse you, the MS4 is likely to produce more low end grunt than it does although still be slightly wilder. But hay what do I know
Old 06-14-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
I'm in the same boat as you. I would really like to get the ms4 but I'm concerned about valve to piston clearance with that high of a lift. Well the ms4 work on stock car (other than your normal bolt ons)? If it does I may be giving them a call this weekend and maybe get a camshaft package from them!
p/v c;earance is not really an issue with lift but with duration. Yes on a stock LS1 the MS4 is fine by a long way.

Personally I am quite interested in the MS4 myself. Although Thunder Racing seem to offer some nice cams such as the Trak cam.

You ever make it over to any of the dragstrips? I guess Santa Pod is probably the closest to you.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver04gto
Well when you say great numbers do you just want PEAK numbers on a dyno or a broader power band for street use?

If you drive your car a lot and often at lower rpms then a milder cam with a better under the curve profile may be a better bet. Such a setup will give you more of a sling shot feel at any speed where as some of the wilder setups will need to be rung out to the higher rpms and red line to get the most from them.

This is very much a personaly choice and no one answer is correct.

Is your car auto or manual?

Also do you have any other mods at all? To make the most of this cam (almost any cam) you will greatly benfit from a full exhaust, long tube headers some form of CAI and a ported stock TB. Being a GTO you should already have the LS6 style intake manifold.

Do you know what your final drive ratio is? (gears that is )

I never looked but I guess swapping the final drive ratio on a GTO is pricey a bit like on a Vette due to it being IRS.

With a M6 you may probably be ok with the stock gears, at least try them out as you can always look at changing them later on.

If auto then gears again will need to be a consideration, but depending on what final drive it is it may not matter so much. A suitable torque converter however will be required. Personally I'd speak to Fuddle Racing or Yank Converters.

As for cams there's loads out there, LG has a great reputation but are a bit pricey. Thunder Racing also has a great selection and TSP are offering some superb packages.

If you're interested in the MS4 it's well worth giving TSP a ring and see what they say. Personally for an off the shelf item I quite like the look of the MS4 and think it will find a happy home in many LS1 engine bays. TSP's CNC LS6 heads may be worth considering as it'll give you a bit more HP but for not a massive extra outlay in cash.

Alternatively just run cam only and 100-125 shot of nitrous.

You may also want to consider some other supporting mods such as a better oil pump, TSP offer a ported LS6 oil pump. And a better timing chain. Also if you plan on spinning the motor high in the rpms some ARP studs/bolts would probably be recommended. You will also need a tune.

Quick Reply: Magic Stick V.4 239/242 Camshaft