Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magic Stick V.4 239/242 Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006 | 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=300bhp/ton]p/v c;earance is not really an issue with lift but with duration. Yes on a stock LS1 the MS4 is fine by a long way.

[QUOTE]

Be sure and dont exaggerate. From the specs listed the MS4 cant be fine by a "long way". The MS3 isnt fine by a long way. They recommend flycutting if you use a bigger than stock valve or mill the heads much of anything.
Old 06-14-2006 | 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rubadubdub
What BS. You're getting the same milage huh? OK. How is that possible? Was the car tuned? Cause if it was, then they had to add more fuel to tame the idle, just raising the idle will burn more gas. They had to add more fuel to keep it from surging at cruise. They had to add more fuel at WOT.

I'm not picking on this cam alone, but this whole trend of slaping a huge cam into your DD and acting like there's no side effects. I would love to know how many miles a year these so called daily drivers that are running around with these huge cams are seeing. I know down south there's lots of open roads where you can rack up the miles but up north the roads aren't quite as open and DD takes on a different aspect for us.

If you think a cam this big is a DD cam, more power to ya. Enjoy and let us know when you swap it out cause the LOOKS you get at a light from teenagers is no longer worth the downsides of all that cam.
Why do you have to pose as such a over bearing ***? I've got this cam coming in my new longblock from TSP. I'll daily drive it in my 6 spd vette. If I get more than 26 mpg I'm gonna be happy. Hell my PP LS6 headed/MTI C2 cam'd car got 29mpg with 420+rwhp. Somebody just a little upset cause their girlie got all hot and bothered by someone else's car?
Old 06-14-2006 | 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Be sure and dont exaggerate. From the specs listed the MS4 cant be fine by a "long way". The MS3 isnt fine by a long way. They recommend flycutting if you use a bigger than stock valve or mill the heads much of anything.
yeah but then it ain't stock if you do that.

If you can get a Trek in there ok with STOCK heads (stock setup ) the there's plenty of room for the MS4.

Ok if I sounded mis-leading then I meant lots of room as the MS4 will fit any and ALL stock LS1's with out the need to worry.
Old 06-14-2006 | 08:36 AM

I do not care if this cam or any other long duration cam gave me 10+ extra MPG there is NO WAY I would daily drive it. Heck I don’t particularly care to DD my 230/230 cam.
What is defined as a daily driver cam is determined by the driver and what they are willing to put up with.

John
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
p/v c;earance is not really an issue with lift but with duration. Yes on a stock LS1 the MS4 is fine by a long way.

Personally I am quite interested in the MS4 myself. Although Thunder Racing seem to offer some nice cams such as the Trak cam.

You ever make it over to any of the dragstrips? I guess Santa Pod is probably the closest to you.
Yea I went to Santa Pod a couple of times but that track is ****! I was going to run but when I saw a stock R33 skyline hit the wall cause traction was so bad I decided it wasn't worth it. Ever been to Rockingham for Days of Thunder? To bad they're not running the stock cars this year. But thanks for the info...From the sounds of things the MS3 would be a little better to go with? My car isn't a Daily Driver or a Track Beast...more of a Sunday Driver if you will. So I am looking for something fun and torqy and I'm not to concerned with gas mileage as it is not a DD. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

the car's driveability is soley based on the tune. any cam can be nice to drive with a good tune.
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
And 1Bad02WS6, no, the cam is not installed..
so you dont know how any car will perform as a daily with a big cam? Your giving out information to another board member about something you have not personally experianced. Your just telling him about the things you have read on LS1Tech? Which for all we know was told to you by someone else who doesnt have a big cam in a daily driver....sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
the car's driveability is soley based on the tune. any cam can be nice to drive with a good tune.
What is an 'easy' to tune cam?

Im not being a dick ... I seriously wanna know.
Old 06-14-2006 | 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
Yea I went to Santa Pod a couple of times but that track is ****! I was going to run but when I saw a stock R33 skyline hit the wall cause traction was so bad I decided it wasn't worth it. Ever been to Rockingham for Days of Thunder? To bad they're not running the stock cars this year. But thanks for the info...From the sounds of things the MS3 would be a little better to go with? My car isn't a Daily Driver or a Track Beast...more of a Sunday Driver if you will. So I am looking for something fun and torqy and I'm not to concerned with gas mileage as it is not a DD. Thanks!
Yeah I agree Santa Pod is ***** on RWYB days, there's little or no prep and its really slick. On big events such as the NHRA Nationals and such it's pretty good so I hear.

Nah not made it to Rockingham yet, will do one day

From my understanding of what TSP have been saying the MS4 will produce more low end and more high end hp/tq than the MS3. It is a better specced cam. So on that basis I don't see any reason not to run it. Don't let the high lift scare you off, Thunder Racing and others having been running high lift for ages to no negative affect. Aslong as the valve springs are suitable and shimmed correctly it won't be a problem.

TSP also has another new slightly smaller cam out, there was a thread a week back or so. I think it used a combo of XER and LSK lobes. Wasn't quite what I;d be after but the results from it seemed pretty good.
Old 06-14-2006 | 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
so you dont know how any car will perform as a daily with a big cam? Your giving out information to another board member about something you have not personally experianced. Your just telling him about the things you have read on LS1Tech? Which for all we know was told to you by someone else who doesnt have a big cam in a daily driver....sounds like the blind leading the blind to me.
That was my point entierly

I mean I know I don't have all that much experience with LS1's and I do have to rely on written reports for lots of things but I'm not going to sit here and say a Trek in an auto with 4.10's and a 4k stall is a great DD because to many it simply isn't!

Oh BTW SVT hasn't got the stall in their car either, so no cam no stall but it is their "extreme" DD
Old 06-14-2006 | 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I daily drove a 242/248 cam with a really tight LSA. the 3500 rpm converter takes care of just about all the problems. when it locked I got some cam surge from 1700 rpm to about 2200 rpm. I only had a mail order tune too. this was even an LT1 cam, your LS1 cams have a much more aggressive ramp on them and "drive" smaller than they really are. my seat to seat duration was well over 300 degrees!

I however wouldn't compare it to stock. there wasn't a point where it drove like stock. it just moved the powerband up about 1500 rpm. with the stock car I could operate in the 1000-2000 rpm with ease, with the cam I had to stay above 2000. with a 6 speed it wouldn't take too long to learn to just stay out of where the cam doesnt have power.

everyone has different tolerances. my dad didn't like it. he said it was "undriveable" but he only took it for a quick spin. he's also a fan of tons of low end torque and could care less about high rpm horsepower.
Old 06-14-2006 | 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jinxedz
What is an 'easy' to tune cam?

Im not being a dick ... I seriously wanna know.

Whatever cam happens to be in your car when you take it to a professional and have it tuned.

My MS3 runs great on the street. Fires right up, idles smoothly (if you treat it right, which is very simple), virtually never dies (1.5 years it has died twice and both were my fault) and virtually never surges.

There are, of course, limits. A T-Rex is not capable of being as nice as an MS3, which is not capable of being as nice as a 224. I believe an MS3/MS4 is still in the daily driveable range. At least in MY range.
Old 06-14-2006 | 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input
Old 06-14-2006 | 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

The stall is in the car actually, however the 4.10s aren't. I have ridden in a buddy of mine's car who has a custom grind similar to the Trex (slightly larger) in his DD 408. It seemed fine to me. Some people won't daily drive over a 228, some people are fine with the MS3, X3 or TRex. It's all a matter of opinion.
Old 06-14-2006 | 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

who is this buddy of yours??? i might know him since im in the tulsa area
Old 06-14-2006 | 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

if it's who i'm thinking of that car is far from a DD and it bucks like a raging bull!

makes tons of power though, especially since that big cam is in a 408ci engine
Old 06-14-2006 | 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Thats a big cam bro, you may wanna go a little smaller if that's the only upgrades you want, but if you do go that way let me know because that does sound like a badass cam.
Old 06-14-2006 | 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Trex (slightly larger) in his DD 408. It seemed fine to me.
but dont forget...a Trex sized cam in a 346 is much wilder than in a 408.
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

The stall is in the car actually, however the 4.10s aren't. I have ridden in a buddy of mine's car who has a custom grind similar to the Trex (slightly larger) in his DD 408. It seemed fine to me. Some people won't daily drive over a 228, some people are fine with the MS3, X3 or TRex. It's all a matter of opinion.
Yeah, sure, it's in a 408. As mentioned above that is a HUGE difference. Don't think for a second that a cam that size will drive like that in a 346.
Old 06-14-2006 | 09:37 PM
Launching!

Damn, just compare that dyno chart to Patrick G's. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&page=16&pp=20
Why would you even run the MS4 after you look at what you could get out of a smaller cam?

Quick Reply: Magic Stick V.4 239/242 Camshaft