Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads arrived today - pics/specs/flow numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you are suppose to install the head gasket dry no coatings ?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between hearing stories of people's cometics leaking and using copper gasket on my last set, I went ahead and did it again this time, but with a light coating. It worked for me before, so I didn't want to take the risk of leaks after putting so much time into the process.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Update: I just pulled the plugs. Here are the pics:
Looking from the front of the car back (left side is passenger side):

Passenger side plugs top view:
Driver side plugs top view:

I also just found out that my last fillup at a gas station I don't usually go to contained 10% ethanol. I'm sure that can't be great for the car at this point.

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 06-16-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
I am running some of Xfactor's handy work.. just had my heads installed Wednesday..

I am running Brandon's Stage 1 port job, stock valves on my LS6 heads..
Mine flow right around 308-310 cfm... ( Brandon, correct me if i am wrong)...
Coupled with full bolt-on's, Yank SY3500,true duals "out the back", RPM4 cam (232/236 .595 .601 114).. my car made 400rwhp/375rwtq.. I picked up 23hp with the heads.. Not too shabby for an A4 with 323's with a simple port/polish.

Good luck with your car bro... i hope things work out for you..
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for the shout out Matt. I believe your heads flowed right at 303cfm at .600 and 203/4 at .300. Forgot the exhaust, but still not bad for stock valves.

Brandon
Old 06-16-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Update: I just pulled the plugs. Here are the pics:
Looking from the front of the car back (left side is passenger side):

Passenger side plugs top view:
Driver side plugs top view:

I also just found out that my last fillup at a gas station I don't usually go to contained 10% ethanol. I'm sure that can't be great for the car at this point.
Is it just me or does the entire drivers bank look like it has been running more lean than the passenger side? There is definatley a difference in the coloring. I dont know what else to tell you to check at this point.

Brandon
Old 06-16-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it possibly be fuel related? A crimpted/leaking/disconnected fuel line? Fuel injectors & fuel injector sensors on there good and tight?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Is it just me or does the entire drivers bank look like it has been running more lean than the passenger side? There is definatley a difference in the coloring. I dont know what else to tell you to check at this point.

Brandon
Ahhh.. think you may have something there grasshoppa...
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brandon
Exactly, which I just don't understand. The fuel rails/injectors were never touched when the intake was taken off and put back on. Bank 1 is certainly lean and bank 2 is certainly rich, I just don't know what's making it do that. I'm gonna clean the plugs up a bit and try and mess around with the fuel rails/injectors to see if that fixing anything. I'm just trying to make sure this is something tune related, rather than something I have done wrong.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

If it runs ok until it goes closed loop then maybe it's an O2 sensor gone bad from coolant contamination.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaleMX
If it runs ok until it goes closed loop then maybe it's an O2 sensor gone bad from coolant contamination.
In my other thread in the Eastern Members section Mikey hit it right on... I have an exhaust leak in the MC's since the exhaust is slip fit (and has been leaking since day one). Needless to say, it got worse since the exhaust was dropped for a couple weeks. I put some exhaust sealer just for the meantime and the thing ran friggin great. The throttle response is crisp as hell and you can tell the thing wants to run The bad part is the sealant gave way halfway home and it started running like crap again. At least I know exactly what it is now! I may just flatbed it to the shop in MD where I'll get my exhaust all welded together and dual e-cutouts in I'm so relieved I found the culprit with the help of Mikey... as soon as he said it, it just clicked. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be taking it to the shop on Monday so I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
In my other thread in the Eastern Members section Mikey hit it right on... I have an exhaust leak in the MC's since the exhaust is slip fit (and has been leaking since day one). Needless to say, it got worse since the exhaust was dropped for a couple weeks. I put some exhaust sealer just for the meantime and the thing ran friggin great. The throttle response is crisp as hell and you can tell the thing wants to run The bad part is the sealant gave way halfway home and it started running like crap again. At least I know exactly what it is now! I may just flatbed it to the shop in MD where I'll get my exhaust all welded together and dual e-cutouts in I'm so relieved I found the culprit with the help of Mikey... as soon as he said it, it just clicked. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be taking it to the shop on Monday so I'll keep everyone updated.
Very glad to hear you have it figured out. I know how it feels to have an issue like that and not have the answer. Let us know how it does after you get the exhaust sealed up.

Brandon
Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very glad to hear you have it figured out. I know how it feels to have an issue like that and not have the answer. Let us know how it does after you get the exhaust sealed up.

Brandon
Will do, but I'll tell you right now, in the few times I've driven it while it was running well, the throttle is really crisp and you can tell the thing just wants to take off. I can't wait to get it all dialed in. Monday I take it in for exhaust work which should hopefully be done in a week or so, then it gets the tune. So I'd say two weeks would be the safe bet for results.