Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.

I posted before about how the valve stems on my heads are thicker than stock and as a result the springs I ordered (PRC duals) would not fit. I took off a spring set to take pics in the hopes that someone would be able to ID the parts. If you can help out please chime in.

The parts are off a set of ARE stage II heads that were purchased a couple years ago before ARE went under. If theres a shop out there that I can send the pieces to and have them identified for certain and have a new set shipped out let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01387-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01392-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01393-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that spring looks like a comp spring.

http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...106-07/287.pdf

There are a couple differnet ones.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres some better pics of the locks. Do they look familiar to anyone? I'm trying to avoid having to remove the heads to do this valve spring swap.
Attached Thumbnails Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-lock1medium.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-lock2medium.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-lock3medium.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I can tell the springs look most like comp #26094's, but the website says they are used on flat tappet cams, not hydraulic rollers....? I'm pretty sure the dual golds I have no would work...but the seats/retainers and locks are all useless for my application.

If anyone has used ARE before and has any idea what springs/valves might be in their stage II heads, please speak up. I'm really lost here...
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look like comp 987's
Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default More Pics

Heres some more pics of the old vs new stuff. In one pics I placed the old locks inside the new PRC Ti retainer to show how much bigger it is than stock.
Attached Thumbnails Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01404-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01405-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01406-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01408-medium-.jpg   Help IDing these springs/retainers/locks. Pics inside.-dsc01409-medium-.jpg  

Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, my best guess is that they are 10° locks of some sort...possibly the comp super locks.

From their website:

Wider angle (10°) locks to better distribute the ever increasing valve spring loads over the retainer than typical 7° locks, reducing the chance of "pull-through" failure.
Precision machined rather than stamped for the ultimate in accuracy.
Super tough, fatigue resistant alloy material.
Inside tang to taper relationship held tightly for repeatable valve spring installed heights.
Available for many popular valve sizes with and without a lash cap recess.
Also available in +.50" installed height versions.
For simplicity, any Super Lock™ fits any COMP Cams® 10° retainer. Just choose the correct lock for your valve size and applications.
Super Locks™ are recommended in all race applications because of their superior strength.

Can someone please tell me what a lash cap is? And whether or not I need them?

Pic of the super locks....

Do they look like my originals? It's hard to tell for sure because the pic on comps website isn't very clear...

PS I don't know why such large springs/retainers/locks were used...its not a large cam at all...something like 226/226 .58X/.58X on a 114lsa (as far as I can remember).
Old 06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have heads with 11/32 valve stems. You can not use the PRC kit on your heads. The best thing you can do is replace just the springs on the heads you have. You could go to the Patriot retainer with a Super 7 lock made for 11/32 valve, but then your installed height may not be right. Just replace the springs, or do like alot of other people do, replace the heads with something more up to date.