Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spun bearing? Help please!

Well i was at the track last night and the car was feeling exceptionally great!

Well i did 2 passes on the nitrous, and on my last pass of the night which was a nitrous pass, at the end of the track the car shutoff. I coasted to the end of the track and pulled over and tried to get the car started back up, well at fist i was thinking it could have been the battery. Well after a bit i finally get her started back up and she sounded around normal at idle, so i drove to the pits and i let the car sit for a bit and i checked everything. Looked good so i started her up and she sounds almost normal sounded a bit strange but we couldnt figuire out what was wrong. So i started the drive back and i get about 2 miles away from the track and i tried to get up to speed and the car felt like it was slipping alot, so i started to pull over and i started to hear a loud clap/ticking sound. All of my buds were saying they thought it was a collapsed lifter etc, we started it up for a brief second thats what they thought. Get it towed home i didnt wanna risk anything. Took apart everything and the valvetrain looks great, the rockers are tight with no play in them. Checked the cylenders for compression and we got air out of all 8, i went and dropped oil plug and bam i got a bunch of metal shavings on the plug, so im pretty sure its a bearing, probably a crank bearing.

Now i had a ported LS6 Oil pump, could it have caused this problem? Maybe it was pushing up too much oil and caused the bearings to dry out?

How much would i be looking at to stroke the bish?

What should i do?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't think the oil pump would do anything like that... What kinda rpms were you turning and how much of a shot? Is the engine built? Think you may have cracked a ring or broken a piston? My car did that too, cept it bashed the spark plug so it was missing in one hole. Anxious to hear back, I HOPE for your sake it is nothing serious.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

the car is going up to 6700RPM and the window switch is set from 3200-6600, i was spraying a 100 shot.
When itook it to texas speed this is what they did
PRC Ported LS6 Heads
Stainless Steel Valves with PRC dual valve springs rated to .660" Lift with titanium retainers
TSP Custom Grind Cam 231/235 .643"/.646"
TSP Chromemoly 7.40" Pushrods
LS2 Timing Chain
TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump
LS6 Manifold with front coolant pipe and rear coolant plugs
TSP intake fuel pump upgrade kit
Powerbond 25% Underdrive Crankshaft Pulley
TNT F1 Nitrous kit with msd window switch
Hypertech 160 degree thermostat
And all the gaskets etc

the car has been running really strong lately. We pressure checked all 8 cylenders and we got pressure.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

was also running on NGK TR6 Plugs with taylor thundervolts 10.4mm racing wires.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't make any sense... sounds good... Wouldn't imagine it coming apart on a freakin 100 shot. Is your oil pressure shot now?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much oil was in the car? Could have sucked the pan dry and starved the pump.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

there was 5 quarts of oil i just put in a week ago, thats when we had to take the pan off because it was not sealing properly, we replaced the gasket and i put in some Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30 and the pressure has always been around 55-60psi at idle. at WOT it would go up
Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

dude that sucks chris, sorry to hear that happened. Let us know how it goes and what you find out. I know I usually run more than 5 qts in mine so I don't know if that may have been an issue or not, I wouldn't think so though.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

High cylinder pressure and some detonation can kill rod bearings,this is possibly the culprit,take it apart and see if the rod brgs fall out of the rod and are collapsed,a nitrided stock crank or aftermarket 4340 crank with steel backed brgs,will more than likely cure the problem.