Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a motor at home...good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rebuilding a motor at home...good idea?

I've been reading over "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" by Will Handzel and it got me thinking about rebuilding my motor at home. For those of you who have done this before, what points should I consider before taking the plunge on this project? I have plenty of time, enough money, and enough mechanical ability (we'll see) to do it myself. I've done heads/cam installs and a couple rear ends/transmission swaps so this seems like the next logical step for a die hard do-it-yourselfer. So if anyone has a really good reason why I might want to reconsider doing this let me know!

A couple questions I have about the whole process; About how much will I be spending on specialty tools (dial indicator, micrometer, ring grinder, ring compressor, ring depth setter, rod clamp)? And is there any reason why this shouldn't work if I just follow the instructions and take my time? Is there anything they aren't telling me in the book that I should know before deciding to do this? The only other motors I've rebuilt would be a Briggs & stratton 5hp, and a Yamaha YZ125 dirtbike motor. Which by the way run great. I feel like I'm ready to step it up a notch or two...or three

If anyone has success stories post 'em up. I love reading about first time projects that went well, they give me the inspiration to try doing them myself. And if you've got a horror story, tell me what went wrong so I can be sure to avoid the mistake To those who reply to this post, thanks in advance for your input. It's guys like you that make even thinking about this project possible.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few tips:

- Measure everything at least twice.

- Work in a clean environment. Garage door open on a windy day is a recipe
for disaster. Engines do not like dirt.

- Go slow and when you get frustrated, stop the task and take a break.
Leave it for a while, or until the next day.

- +/- 0.001", or +/- 1 degree is a big deal. It adds up, so make sure the tolerances
are within spec before moving forward.

I don't know how many times I read about home re-builds and then follow up
posts about lack of oil pressure, rough idle...or even worse blown motors.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you are building a performance motor it would be wise to blueprint and balance. Find a good machine shop to do the work that you can't handle. Always buy the best tools that you can afford. If you want it to last keep everything clean and don't get in a hurry.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Go for it, man. There's no voodoo to it, just do like the others have said - keep it super clean and don't cut any corners.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

I did not build my motor, but I installed the shortblock my self. it was the first time I had ever R&R a motor. I to read Will's book and countless hours of research on here before I did. Prior to this headers, and helping with a few cam installs is all I had done. It went extremely well. I think the best thing I did was all my research and taking my time. See thread below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/516510-installed-my-lme-shortblock-weekend-pics-inside.html
Old 06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did it, with lots of searching here, and guidance from Jason @ Thunder Racing and my local machininst.

Jason gave me hints/tips, and my local machinist got everything like I wanted it (helped me get the right main and rod clearances, he measured the proper stretch on the rod bolts and let me know the ft-lbs required, etc). I did end up spending about $700-$900 on tools (Mitutoyo bore gauge set, micrometers, nice torque wrenches, etc).

I'd never built a motor before. Put down 487 rwhp NA (with a pretty cruddy set of heads), 636 on the 150 shot. And it's still alive, and wants to go to the track again.