Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil on spark plug threads I WANT YOUR OPINION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by just1news6
Hey thanks for the info that has to be the problem that is exactly waht mine is doing and with the oil eating as well THANK GOD SOME ONE KNOWS THEIR STUFF around here ive been told PCV so many times i think i could **** a pcv valve out my *** LOL
Also, the whole PCV thing....I don't see how raw oil could get onto the threads of the plugs from that. I can see maybe some smoke when you punch it or at start up, but no way can it do it the GIANT cloud I had when I punched it. And for it to get onto the threads of the plugs it would have to go from the front of the intake, into the intake, then run down into the cylinders...all while the engine is off.

But see if there's any oil inside the inlet of the intake, just for the hell of it.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

thanks i appreciate it the valve guides were on your stock motor right?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks i appreciate it the valve guides were on your stock motor right?
No, they went bad on my stroker engine after a few years. But a valve seal is a valve seal, regardless of what kind of engine it is. Heck, stock factory seals will probably last way longer than seals on a high performance engine.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

you have a point there lol anywho i appreciate it i think im going to do heads and cam this summer hopefully it will solve the problem. if not im going to get a stroker 402 but Thanks for all the help
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

you have a point there lol anywho i appreciate it i think im going to do heads and cam this summer hopefully it will solve the problem. if not im going to get a stroker 402 but Thanks for all the help

Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey, another question: When your engine gets hot, like up around the 210 mark, does it detonate at all?

The reason I ask is: After a long time of the oil getting sucked through the valve seals into the cylinders, you'll get a thick layer of burnt oil on the pistons. These oil deposits will cause hot spots all over the piston surface and it'll cause the pre-ignition (detonation) of the fuel/air mixture.

You can see how it built up on my pistons in this thread where I posted all the pics after we took my heads off. I cleaned the pistons like they were brand new and now on a hot as ***** day when it gets up around 210 the engine runs perfectly smooth, powerful and zero detonation.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/472364-5-springs-broken-good-thing-they-were-double-springs.html

This is just another way to be sure your oil is going through the valve seals.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

to be honest i havent heard it detonating although we have the fans set at 180
Old 07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

to be honest i havent heard it detonating although we have the fans set at 180
Just wondering, making sure its the valve seals. You could also take the intake off, which is pretty easy, and see if there's alot of burnt oil in the intake ports of the heads as you can see in the 4th picture. You can see how dark they are.

Quick Reply: oil on spark plug threads I WANT YOUR OPINION!!!