Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil on spark plug threads I WANT YOUR OPINION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on spark plug threads I WANT YOUR OPINION!!!

Well i have been trying to track down the oil consumption problem on my ws6 ( heavy footed driving = 1qt every 400-600 miles normal = every 1500) well the car has an oil air separator and no doubt this has stopped a little bit of the consumption. I also changed the plugs and all the electrodes and what not looked normal NONE were fouled. But what i did notice was oil in the threads on all four of the driver side plugs and oil un the front two plugs on the drivers side. What does this mean? the car puffs a tad bit of blue smoke when i romp on it and then it quits. And other times i can do it and then it wont do it, i have also seen the car poof a little blue at idle. No ses codes all appears to be normal, im thinking valve guides but want your opinion THANKS>
Old 07-24-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how many miles on the engine?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 AM
TECH Regular

I noticed the same thing on a recent spark plug change or the first spark plug change after camshaft swap which included new valve springs, push rods, seals, retainers, etc.
Car has 56K miles. I never had this problem before. No oil consumption though. Any thoughts on this? Seals?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe you didnt seat your seals correctly?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

it has 78k on it so yall would be leaning more towards valve guides, the car also doesnt smoke out the oil cap at all.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCV system maybe? try to delete it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

The pcv has a catch can
Old 07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by just1news6
The pcv has a catch can
I had a catch can on my pcv system too but there was still a lot of oil getting by it and into my intake.
I completely removed the pcv and installed breathers in place and no more oil buring.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Mine does the same thing, but I have no oil consumption or smoking issues. I guess it could be the valve seals, but it doesn't seem to be causing any known problems for me.

Kevin
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have an answer mainly because i have never seen this
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

ttt...........................................
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I had oil on my spark plug threads once... had to replace the motor
Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Well i have been trying to track down the oil consumption problem on my ws6 ( heavy footed driving = 1qt every 400-600 miles normal = every 1500) well the car has an oil air separator and no doubt this has stopped a little bit of the consumption. I also changed the plugs and all the electrodes and what not looked normal NONE were fouled. But what i did notice was oil in the threads on all four of the driver side plugs and oil un the front two plugs on the drivers side. What does this mean? the car puffs a tad bit of blue smoke when i romp on it and then it quits. And other times i can do it and then it wont do it, i have also seen the car poof a little blue at idle. No ses codes all appears to be normal, im thinking valve guides but want your opinion THANKS>
Had the same thing and blue smoke....you need a valve job. IMO

Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quickin
Had the same thing and blue smoke....you need a valve job. IMO

did it fix the problem???
Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

did it fix the problem???
Here's how my deal was:

Took any of the 8 spark plugs out and they were soaked in oil, all the way into the threads. When I was cruising steady on the highway I had no smoke, but when I hit the gas from a cruise speed I would get the cloud of smoke, then if I stayed in the gas it would clear up as I accelerated. (When you hit the gas with bad valves the sudden drop in cylinder pressure sucks oil through the bad valve seals from under the valve covers and sucks it directly into the cylinders and blasts out blue, but than clears up. I was burning 1qt. every 250, that has stopped.

All 16 valve seals were shot. No more oil on the plugs and no more smoke.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is just on the threads and not in the plug check the vavlecover gasket i had a new gasket slip out of the groove and three out of four plugs on the driverside had oil on the threads but you couldnt see it on the heads. It freaked me out till i found out where it came from.lol. Good luck
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Quickin
Here's how my deal was:

Took any of the 8 spark plugs out and they were soaked in oil, all the way into the threads. When I was cruising steady on the highway I had no smoke, but when I hit the gas from a cruise speed I would get the cloud of smoke, then if I stayed in the gas it would clear up as I accelerated. (When you hit the gas with bad valves the sudden drop in cylinder pressure sucks oil through the bad valve seals from under the valve covers and sucks it directly into the cylinders and blasts out blue, but than clears up. I was burning 1qt. every 250, that has stopped.

All 16 valve seals were shot. No more oil on the plugs and no more smoke.

Hey thanks for the info that has to be the problem that is exactly waht mine is doing and with the oil eating as well THANK GOD SOME ONE KNOWS THEIR STUFF around here ive been told PCV so many times i think i could **** a pcv valve out my *** LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

what cuases the guide seals to go bad like that???
Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey thanks for the info that has to be the problem that is exactly waht mine is doing and with the oil eating as well THANK GOD SOME ONE KNOWS THEIR STUFF around here ive been told PCV so many times i think i could **** a pcv valve out my *** LOL
Well, I'm no engine guru, everything that I know in detail are things that I've gone through with my engine. Hope thats the problem, easy fix. Costly though because of the labor to remove the heads. My friend took mine off in 2 hours and put them back on in 3 hours, car sitting in my driveway. I had my heads taken off and completely rebuilt for about $700, dual springs, retainers, valve seals, machining labor, everything. All Crane stuff. I think he told me a valve job alone is $150, can't remember though.

Air Flow Research in Pompano Beach, FL, can't get better IMO. The man is as good as they come.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

what cuases the guide seals to go bad like that???
Not sure of every way they can go bad.

My valves were loose while fitting in the valve guides. I had two different sized valves in mine too. They were actually wiggling around and would just fall right out onto the floor if not held in by the springs. The valves should stay in place and not fall out just from being slid into there guides.

I would have to guess that bad machining and wear are the biggest culprits.

Quick Reply: oil on spark plug threads I WANT YOUR OPINION!!!