Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEA Trickflow heads - several questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEA Trickflow heads - several questions

I have an 01 C5, internally stock now. LS6 intake, FLP LT's, no cats, 3.90's.

I have a G5X4 cam I'll be installing later this year, and want some nice heads to go with it. Based on everything I've read, the Trickflow 215's are looking really appealing.

My questions:

Pushrods. These use a 7.7x" length, correct? Where do I get such a non-standard size? Is there anything special about LS1 pushrods? Can or should I go to bigger dia (3/8"), and if so, is there anything else I need to do in order to make that upgrade?

Rocker arms. These use the stock rockers correct?

p/v clearance. These heads come with 64cc chambers, yet due to the different valve angle, are reported to have about .050" more p/v clearance than stock heads. This is one thing that makes them very appealing to me, as the x4 is very tight, but clears stock heads, and I'd prefer not to cut reliefs.
But, with .050" more, could or should I have these milled a little for more CR, and still retain "better-than-stock" p/v...or just bolt 'em on as-is?
How much to mill, and what static CR would that net me? (assume a stock head gasket).

Should I upgrade the lifters while doing this? Any performance or technical benefit, or just a "may as well while you're in there" reason. Morel, Lunati, Comp...?

Lastly, the valvesprings. The TF heads come with springs rated to .650", but that's all I know about them...are they sturdy/reliable enough to run with the X4, or should I swap them out for 921's for peace of mind?. The X4 cam has .607"/.614" (measured) lift, so I know .650" is plenty capacity-wise, I'm just concerned about reliability.

Sorry for all the n00b questions. I've searched everything I could find about these heads, and am left with these questions. I want to do this right the first time and want to have everything I need before starting it.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i would pm brian tooely and ask him
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer a few of your questions, the pushrods are generally available in length increments of 0.050 and near the stock 7.4" they are available in 0.25". Pushrod length shouldn't be an issue, you should be able to pick up a set quickly once you determine what you need. I got a set of "Trick Flow" hardened pushrods in two days.

As for the lifters, I decided I wanted the best ones out there so I went with the Morels. They were absolute jewels when they arrived and you can see the quality in them. They are costly, but they also have better internal valving and are setup so there will be no oil starvations with the small base circle cams.

I also went with Crane rockers, after setting up my heads on the bench prior to installation I couldn't get a good wipe pattern with the stock rockers, but the Cranes provided a very good wipe pattern so I install them instead. They are a lot of money though, but at least you have my logic for my decisions. Good luck, take your time and look into everything.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Yea, Brian's the man with TEA.TF info. The PRs you could get through TEA, I'm sure. I'm using TF 7.7" PRs. Started the install this weekend. Really had a tough time Sat. removing the steering rack, and ABS block. Sunday was better, but I still have alot of work.

The stock rockers should be fine, as should the springs that come with the TF heads. Your lift #s aren't too high, but it's the duration that gets you into trouble as far as PTV clearance issues. Would probably be a good idea to clay it. Brian may know definatively.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by exSSer
The stock rockers should be fine, as should the springs that come with the TF heads. Your lift #s aren't too high, but it's the duration that gets you into trouble as far as PTV clearance issues. Would probably be a good idea to clay it. Brian may know definatively.
Thanks, I guess my question meant they still use the stock style rockers..meaning no special rockers are required. You confirmed that, and yes, I may go aftermarket just for the durability factor.

As for p/v, if the TFs have more clearance than stock, then I shouldn't need to worry at all. .050" is a lot of extra room, and perhaps I could take advantage of that by milling .015-.020" for increased CR and still allow more clearance than with stock heads?

I'm sure Brian will see this thread and offer his valued advice. Just wanting some "unbiased" opinions as well.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to do a dummy install with the old gasket and check the PVC, that would give you an idea of what you can get away with milling. Sounds like its going to be a killer setup

Can't wait to see your results.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the TEA website says they have ".005" extra clearance, not ".050", but you might want to check again.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I can give some impressions of the TEA TF heads. With just H/C/pulley, I pulled 449/423, and have a lot smaller cam than you. I'd really be interested in how your setup works with that big 'ol X4.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of milling, why not run a thinner head gasket for a tighter quench AND more compression ?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like others in here have said, TFS sells pushrods in .050" increments so those are not a problem.

I would not go with the 3/8' pushrods, they are overkill and may require grinding for clearance.

I prefer to keep the quench in the .040" range, so I would go with stock GM gaskets and mill the heads, this is what most people do.

I would run the stock GM lifters and rockers also, I went 9's in the quarter with stockers.

Lastly, the TFS heads only have .010" more then a stock GM head with a stock valve, but when you have a GM head with a 2.02 intake valve, then the TFS head has about .040"-.060" more P to V in comparison.

The chamber volume on the TFS head could be milled to 61cc and you should have very close to stock P to V clearance. I would contact LG and ask them about the P to V with their cam.

We also have a new optional spring with more pressure then the Comp 921's, so you could go with those as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any one have link that will let me see more info about these heads?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
any one have link that will let me see more info about these heads?
http://www.totalengineairflow.com/

Bill
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling

THNX...

Quick Reply: TEA Trickflow heads - several questions