Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone got a 228/232 110 +2

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You can find TDC with a dial on the rocker tip at the valve. Turning the crank, the rocker will sway up/down. The point at which it doesnt means the valve is closed and piston is at TDC (both valves closed). 0 your dial and that is your starting mark, then by turning you can take readings.
The trickiest part is setting up the degree wheel.
Using those tools you can measure PTV as well
i'm not trying to flame you, but that sounds like it would be inaccurate in finding TDC.
to find true-TDC you would have to use the piston as a reference.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No flame, conventional way is to use a piston plug hole stop, also to remove rockers and p-rods and to measure with the dial on the lifter itself.
At TDC both valves are closed, I just kill two birds to measure PTV at the same time.
I guess i'm used to it, also dot to dot is suppose to be TDC 1&6 (reference)
If you have sensitive hands, you can find TDC by just feeling a thin wire from the plug hole as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

In my opinion, the ported LS6 heads arent the most ideal head for the range of power this cam is looking for. They would be better than stock heads of course, but the ported LS6 heads have rather large runners and arent that great for torque, Get some dart 205's
Ya Ive just been reading about the darts, worth the extra $300 or whatever? Then there are the TEA 5.7 that lots of people seem to like... Don't know heads would be nice, but then have to change injectors, and I'm still on a 10 bolt with 4.10s
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
At TDC both valves are closed
Couldn't that also be BDC?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The four strokes of the piston that occur in a single cycle of operation are the intake, compression, power and exhaust strokes. Generally, at the beginning of the intake stroke when the piston is at or near the top of the cylinder, the intake valve opens and the descending piston draws air into the cylinder. The position of the piston at the top of its movement toward the valves is called top dead center (TDC). At or near the bottom or end of the intake stroke, the intake valve closes. The position of the piston at the bottom of its movement away from the valves is called bottom dead center (BDC). From this position, and with the intake and exhaust valves closed, the piston starts upward on its compression stroke until it reaches TDC. The piston compresses the air or air-fuel mixture captured within the cylinder upon closure of the intake valve into a small space at the top of the cylinder and adjacent to the valves. Usually just before the piston reaches TDC on its compression stroke, the spark plug fires to ignite the air-fuel mixture, causing the mixture to burn quickly. The rapidly expanding gases of the burning mixture force the piston down and away from the valves on its power stroke. As the piston reaches the bottom of the power stroke (BDC), the exhaust valve opens for the exhaust stroke of the piston. During the exhaust stroke, the piston moves back toward TDC and forces the combustion products out.

so once this is understood, there is 3 elements to look for TDC on piston 1

>Cam dot to dot
>Valves closed
>piston up

Quick Reply: anyone got a 228/232 110 +2