Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help: 5.3 Ported Head Flow #'s.... what do they look like midlift vs. ls6??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's my ported 5.3s.yeah,i know they back up big time after .450 lift,the original porter screwed up this is the flow numbers after i had them fixed(as good they could with what money i had left) by LPE.

int. exh.
.200-148 117
.300-210 152
.400-254 190
.450-269 197
.500-248 202
.550-251 207
.600-258 210
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

What your not throwing into this equation is the fact that your flowing environment might not be the same as the next guys. Was that flowed on a 3.910" bore? What kind of radius did you use at the manifold opening? These things definitely make HUGE differences as to where a head begins to backup. That cylinder head flow data you posted seems pretty reasonable, aside from it backing up early.

Our new CNC program & CNC valve job system produces virtually identical cylinder heads everytime they are built. That being said, it still doesn't prevent people from flowing the cylinders heads/using the cylinder heads improperly.

Run some searches, and I think you'll find our flow data is far from "fluff". There's been several people post flow data of the LS6 street head flowing well over what we rate it for! The guys at The School of Automotive Machinist flowed a street LS6 at over 315cfm! The brand new 5.3l Stage 2.5 program that should begin shipping next week has been independenly flowed @ Sunset Racecraft here in Lubbock with very similar results! The guys at Thunder recently flowed a set of LS6 street heads for Paul's project Mustang... I could go on & on for hours on flow data & power results.

I know none of this will change your view, but the moral of the story is we use CNC machining & CNC seat & guide work to produce one of the best cylinder heads available! Ask the vendors on ls1tech who all uses a complete computer controlled single point cutting system to cut their seats & guides. I can tell you AFR is the only company besides us that use this technology!

I can also tell you our BRAND NEW 5.3l program was also designed based off flow data with the intake manifold on the cylinder head, as well as without a intake! It's development work like this that seperates the development of a quality port that performs and just flowing it on some random flow bench that probably doesn't have the correct bore plates, much less the correct radius plates for flowing the heads.

It never works to compare flow data from 5 different locations in an effort to come up with the best cylinder head. If flow data was always correct you could buy cylinder heads that flow 260 on the exhaust!!

Feel free to give us a call with any questions or concerns.

Brian
Texas Speed & Performance

Originally Posted by tbojbob
preachin' to the choir here V6 Bird............ This was an expensive lesson! You can't always trust the Big name sponsors...........they didn't come w/a flow sheet, when I asked for a sheet TSP said the numbers were in a posting somewhere on LS1tech. The numbers that they posted were obviously advertising "fluff" or I got a "non-spec" pair. They've been back to TSP but no change in flow. They are destined to become valve relief cutting fixtures!

And they also have relatively useless 232 cc. intakes runners....enough said.
(806) 866-0734
Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

what people need to realize is that there is much more to a good performing head than flow numbers.i look at flowbenches like dynos.they are a tool,like everything else.getting hung up on flow numbers is like getting hung up on how much HP your car makes on the dyno....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 66deuce
what people need to realize is that there is much more to a good performing head than flow numbers.i look at flowbenches like dynos.they are a tool,like everything else.getting hung up on flow numbers is like getting hung up on how much HP your car makes on the dyno....
Yes, my 272cfm 5.3 heads with a bigger set of 2.02 intake valves went 420+ with a F13 cam and full exhaust on a M6 car.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance
What your not throwing into this equation is the fact that your flowing environment might not be the same as the next guys. Was that flowed on a 3.910" bore? What kind of radius did you use at the manifold opening? These things definitely make HUGE differences as to where a head begins to backup. That cylinder head flow data you posted seems pretty reasonable, aside from it backing up early.

Our new CNC program & CNC valve job system produces virtually identical cylinder heads everytime they are built. That being said, it still doesn't prevent people from flowing the cylinders heads/using the cylinder heads improperly.

Run some searches, and I think you'll find our flow data is far from "fluff". There's been several people post flow data of the LS6 street head flowing well over what we rate it for! The guys at The School of Automotive Machinist flowed a street LS6 at over 315cfm! The brand new 5.3l Stage 2.5 program that should begin shipping next week has been independenly flowed @ Sunset Racecraft here in Lubbock with very similar results! The guys at Thunder recently flowed a set of LS6 street heads for Paul's project Mustang... I could go on & on for hours on flow data & power results.

I know none of this will change your view, but the moral of the story is we use CNC machining & CNC seat & guide work to produce one of the best cylinder heads available! Ask the vendors on ls1tech who all uses a complete computer controlled single point cutting system to cut their seats & guides. I can tell you AFR is the only company besides us that use this technology!

I can also tell you our BRAND NEW 5.3l program was also designed based off flow data with the intake manifold on the cylinder head, as well as without a intake! It's development work like this that seperates the development of a quality port that performs and just flowing it on some random flow bench that probably doesn't have the correct bore plates, much less the correct radius plates for flowing the heads.

It never works to compare flow data from 5 different locations in an effort to come up with the best cylinder head. If flow data was always correct you could buy cylinder heads that flow 260 on the exhaust!!

Feel free to give us a call with any questions or concerns.

Brian
Texas Speed & Performance
so would "older" PRC 2.5 benefit from the "new" program ?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bo White
Yes, my 272cfm 5.3 heads with a bigger set of 2.02 intake valves went 420+ with a F13 cam and full exhaust on a M6 car.
thanks for posting that Bo.good example.even tho my my heads "suck"compared to others,my car runs pretty strong considering my motor is a little worn out,and with my small 220 cam.now i just have to get my rear end fixed.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the input guys... not a lot of info on the 5.3's on this board..... must be an old way of doing things... I assume 5.3's ended popularity after the 243's really came out!