Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick an engine block

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick an engine block

Well im looking to get a new block, and was wondering what everyones opinion was.

Im looking at texas speed's products unless someone recommends differnt.
What is the differnce between the long and short block
What is the diffrence between 402 vs 408 (beside displacement)
What is the differnce between the aluminium and iron (beside aluminium being lighter and iron not having the heating/oil issues).

Basically I want a very powerfull NA motor, and maybe later down the road add a small amount of boost, unless that is not recommended. I would rather have NA than boost.

Thanks

oh yeah this is going in a 98 ws6.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

ya i am looking at doing the same thing you are doing, short block is just the lower rotating assembly the long block is pretty much assembled just drop in and swap over some parts and you are good to go.... Someone correct me if i am wrong
Old 09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right, a shortblock is just the machined block, crank, rods, pistons, and piston rings, all assembled. A long block is a short block plus heads, valves, oil pan, covers, maybe a camshaft, not sure. A 402 is basically a stock LS2(aluminum) or LQ9(iron) block that is equipped with a 4" stroker crank. The 408 is either block that has been bored 0.030" over for a little extra displacement. Most 408's you will see are iron, and most 402's are aluminum. Iron blocks are cheaper, but can handle more power from nitrous or boost, they are heavier, and they are good for the drag strip. Aluminum is more expensive, but weighs much less, good for road racing, easy to machine. There is much overlap though. For a powerful NA motor, I'd go with an LS2 402. You can use a lot of your stock parts to assemble it, but there are a few covers and things you will need. It will also be able to handle a good amount of boost or nitrous.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DayUSeX
Well im looking to get a new block, and was wondering what everyones opinion was.

Im looking at texas speed's products unless someone recommends differnt.
What is the differnce between the long and short block
What is the diffrence between 402 vs 408 (beside displacement)
What is the differnce between the aluminium and iron (beside aluminium being lighter and iron not having the heating/oil issues).

Basically I want a very powerfull NA motor, and maybe later down the road add a small amount of boost, unless that is not recommended. I would rather have NA than boost.

Thanks

oh yeah this is going in a 98 ws6.
The ideal combinations for a powerful N/A motor and a boosted motor can differ greatly. Depending on what your idea of a powerful NA motor is, the N/A combination may not like boost. A small shot of nitrous on the other hand could work well in a N/A setup.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

thanks so basically if i just want to drop a motor in i should get a longblock thanks.

And yeah i want like 550-600 NA so i guess some n2o is the way to go for me.

So it looks like ill be getting a 402/408 longblock aluminum. thanks!!!