Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put me to the next step, cam decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Put me to the next step, cam decision

Alright I started Cam research for the past few days but I am still confused. IMO it is a little misleading to look on the forums because most people only have experience with one aftermarket cam and most people will say their's is the best just because it is the one they choose. Another thing, its really hard to compare hp numbers/ actual performance because everyone has different mods.

I have 02 t/a mods in sig. 3.42 rear end with m6. I will most likely have drag radials soon and it is mostly a summer/ weekend car. It needs to be streetable though for sure. I want a hard lope and to be able to clearly destroy a stock ls1 fbody/vette. It will see a little bit of strip, and probably some auto-x and stuff like that. Just a fun car I guess. if i break the rear im gonna go 9 inch. I plan to get hptuners and do my own street tune, if i toast my clutch, will upgrade as well. In the future, i may get aftermarket heads or nitrous. 390-400+ rwhp cam only would be nice. I can deal with some harder drivability but i dont want it to be a piece of crap down low. Gas mileage is slightly important to me so don't want to lower it too much.

Well here is a list of the cams i went through, made a spreadsheet on all of their specs and stuff:
MS3,MS4,Torquer V2 &V3, Trex, trak, f15,g5x2,f13,f14,hotcam,and a couple others.
My buddy says i am goin way too big and all of them are pretty significantly sized (except hotcam which i dont think i will get anyways). I don't think trex is for me from the research i did as it seems more of a drag-geared cam. Torquer v2 seems to have the powerband lower. MS4 seems very cool but there isnt much info on it yet. F13 i hear is a great street cam but idk if its power making will be up to my standards?

What do you think I should narrow my list down to?
Also, on the lsa, any reason to pick the higher one instead of the lower one? (I want lope but does the lsa affect anything else?)
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torquer, G5X2, and F13 should do you well. Bigger than a 224 but more low end (you mentioned autocross) than the 'big' cams. Good enough to make 390+ rwhp with all supporing mods and a good tune.

Edit: They will like a little more gear, but the 3.42s won't be too bad.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G5X2 according to both of my tuners.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Torquer 3.

It pulls hard in the mid to upper RPM's even with my stock gears and on a factory tune (for now). The T3 definately needs more gear. I am running it through Jethot LT's and a Mufflex ORY. It has a very respectable idle...in other words it lopes enough to shake the car and turn heads.

It fired right up and settled to an 800 rpm idle. I do get some surge when its cold but tuning will fix that.

I am not saying this cam is better than the others that you have looked at, but for my first cam swap I think this one is pretty cool.

Oh...the LSA is 111+1.

Patrick G is the god of cams and can steer you in the right direction. He may pop in or you can shoot him a PM.

R/

Frat