10.07%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

NEW SCHOOL(lsBASED) VS OLD SCHOOL!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by notatruews6
Ive got my own opinion, the gen 3 lsx based motors have there advantages and their disadvantages, 1st the new style gen 3 motors dont have enough head bolts, the stock rods, pistons, valve train is ****. why change a tested and thurough motor for a aluminum pile of ****. Yes this is coming from a guy that owns a ls1 trans am. The advantages of the gen 3 motors is that they respond well to small modifications, they are more efficent, produce better power. Its all based on a personal choice not wether one is better than the other. Puts on Flame suit ... I just believe that the gen 3 lsx motors were built for profit and not for durability.

Hmm if the sbc's have been around long enough to sort out all of the problems that develop, the lsx motors havnt been around long enough to see what the time told mileage will do to them. DO YOU THINK THAT LSX MOTORS WILL STILL BE WIDLY USED IN 50 Years?
I would say those are pretty good advantages! Not to mention plenty of LS1's are reliable enough to still run strong after 100K miles, enough to take a hit of nitrous like mine! As for durablility, HPE has a procharged C6 corvette that laid down over 700hp on stock internals. Pretty durable huh?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in the new issue of CHP they compared the old and the new they build 40x cid engines, one new (ls2) one old (sbc 400) the ls2 was more expensive (by $50), produced the same power and torque, and could be run on 91 octane, the 400 was as they descibed it more of a weekend street bruiser, while the ls2 was described as more docile and better for a DD (BTW they were both carbed)
I'll take the new school any day, as much power as the old school, and livable drivability for $50 more, gets my vote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a first generation camaro with a gen 1 small block and a 99 SS. The old school motor is easier to work on, there is more room in the engine bay, but the power just isn't there. The motor in it is stock, basically a set of headers, a good intake and a carb. Same with my LS1, LS6 intake, headers, and a good exhaust. The LS1 is far superior. However, I am building a 500+hp pump gas 406 for the first gen this spring. My opinion may vary after that. The LS1 is a great engine, and was designed to make power. But, you can't talk bad about the gen 1 small block either. What other engine was in production for over 50 years?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines Best
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but with that compression, mild cam (Comp XE grind) that would barely lope, and all the accompanying bolt ons, that 350 would be at 400hp and enable you to beat a stock LS1 (thought not by much). I suspect you still have smog heads on it. If so, get some Vortecs. They're extremely cheap nowdays, and will support 450hp out of the box with a streetable cam.

Jason
i actually have world products sportsman 2 heads and a medium sized cam. I figured the car would be good for at least 400hp but it's just not performing. I haven't given up though, im going with a 240/246 cam and a set of afr heads next spring.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RomulusSmallBlock
i couldn't afford an LS1 so i bored out my 5.3L 120 over. how many 350s or 454s can say that they can do that safely and still have room to go safely....none.
thats the biggest bunch of **** in this whole thread. in the diesel machine shop that i work in, occasionally we will work on a gasoline engine. in the 6 years i've been there i know of a 1969 L88 block that we bored .060". that engine chunked a rod through the sleeve at 9200 rpm. measured the sleeve and it was still .220" on the factory sleeve, seems to me there was plenty of room left. also we've bored tall deck bbc truck engines (mid 70's) .250" to make a cheap 4.5" bore and they have all held together. so quit blowing smoke up peoples' *** with your machining assumptions.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by import slayer
show me a stock old school TA or camaro that can beat a StockLS1 TA or camaro. you cant!!!! the LSX is the ****.
LOL, you asked for it. 1989 TTA, I'd be willing to put cash on that one. Neither would have a definate advantage, it would be a driver's race but still. Don't forget about those turbo'ed V6's. Those cars are 17 years old now, doesn't seem that long ago though.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just wanted to reply to say that this RomulusSmallBlock guy is full of crap, and needs to learn how to shutup until you have something useful to say.
this is not a board to bullshit on. we are not your stupid buddies in your dads garage. i know im not the only one here that can just look at your post and point out over and over how you're posting bullshit.... however, of those people, i am one of the few that will just say it out loud straight to your face.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

from someone with both i will honestly say that bang for the buck and ease of "Drop in and go" you cant beat a old school small or even big block GM engine. However, The LS1 and family are in thier own league. minimal mods and bang 400RWHP easy. as far as economy i wont even tough that haha. LS series owns there.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kossuth
LOL, you asked for it. 1989 TTA, I'd be willing to put cash on that one. Neither would have a definate advantage, it would be a driver's race but still. Don't forget about those turbo'ed V6's. Those cars are 17 years old now, doesn't seem that long ago though.
I have never heard of a TTA that has run a high 12s bone stock, and they certainly don't trap as high as the LS1 cars. The TTAs are underrated for sure, but they still don't carry the power/weight that the LS1 cars have.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
i just wanted to reply to say that this RomulusSmallBlock guy is full of crap, and needs to learn how to shutup until you have something useful to say.
this is not a board to bullshit on. we are not your stupid buddies in your dads garage. i know im not the only one here that can just look at your post and point out over and over how you're posting bullshit.... however, of those people, i am one of the few that will just say it out loud straight to your face.
If you are calling this Romulus guy out, what did he say that was bullshit? Is it the whole Romulus small block name thing, because I really doubt calling the LS motors Romulus motors will ever catch on.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RussStang
I have never heard of a TTA that has run a high 12s bone stock, and they certainly don't trap as high as the LS1 cars. The TTAs are underrated for sure, but they still don't carry the power/weight that the LS1 cars have.
No, they don't trap as high as a 6 speed LS1 that's for sure. 13.5 is what is generally accepted at the bone stock 1/4 mile time for a TTA, pretty much the same as a LS1 car. Yeah some are faster, some slower. As far as power to weight, I have no idea what the third gens weigh, I would think they are comparable though.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BryanJohnson
thats the biggest bunch of **** in this whole thread. in the diesel machine shop that i work in, occasionally we will work on a gasoline engine. in the 6 years i've been there i know of a 1969 L88 block that we bored .060". that engine chunked a rod through the sleeve at 9200 rpm. measured the sleeve and it was still .220" on the factory sleeve, seems to me there was plenty of room left. also we've bored tall deck bbc truck engines (mid 70's) .250" to make a cheap 4.5" bore and they have all held together. so quit blowing smoke up peoples' *** with your machining assumptions.
yes i have recieved alot of flake about this since its been done to the engine. yes it is possible yes it is safe. you have a texas flag thing going on there so i know you are in texas as i am. you are more than welcome to see for yourself the engine provided that you buy me new head bolts and a gasket set. this is some that i will stand by. it is possible to do this to an iron block 4.8/5.3l block that fact that this is so widely disputed means that a vast majority of you have never bothered to do much to this particular block. i know the traditional bore rules to sbc what do you think the machine shop guy said when i first proposed this. he wasn't 100% himself until he seen the bare block for himself. the is a quote from him, "I wouldn't have believed that it was possible that this engine could have been overbored this much if i didn't do it myself to see that it could be done. this engine if you wanted could have been bored even more." now unless you want to buy me a set of head gaskets and a head bolt set all i can pride you with is pics of the before and after. and yes i can pride pics of the engine with the flat top LS1 piston in it with the heads off.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

oh oh pic number one is my icon i think that is the after pic yes at the machine shop itself. you want pics i have alot of them. just tell me how to post them and they will be up so you can inspect them all. honestly i don't see how i am blowing smoke out of ppl's asses. all i am doing it telling you with proof it can be done. i am not telling anyone that i think it can be done because it has you want to argue that go a head and it i would be safe to assume that if you were around in 1492 you would have told christopher columbus that the world was flat, but yet here a man with proof. i have done it end of arguement. now if i am going to be bashed for basically helping ppl find a cheap alternative to the LS1, then who is wrong here. i did this because i couldn't afford a 1k-4k used or new engine which i assume most of you can either. what i could afford was a $400 whole 5.3L, and because its iron and not aluminum it would last alittle longer than the LS1. and $35 for a set of LS1 pistons isn't bad. its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the idea came from. that blocks look identical to each other and they share the same internal parts excluding pistons. i was going to keep it a 5.3l until i asked the machinist. he said maybe but that is alot to take out if you provide me a piston he could tell me for sure. so ebay bam...gave him the piston and it was done. now if you have a Fbody and are looking for a cheaper alturnative to an LS1 you have one. i must be the only person to have done this so far.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I own a first generation camaro with a gen 1 small block and a 99 SS. The old school motor is easier to work on, there is more room in the engine bay, but the power just isn't there. The motor in it is stock, basically a set of headers, a good intake and a carb. Same with my LS1, LS6 intake, headers, and a good exhaust. The LS1 is far superior. However, I am building a 500+hp pump gas 406 for the first gen this spring. My opinion may vary after that. The LS1 is a great engine, and was designed to make power. But, you can't talk bad about the gen 1 small block either. What other engine was in production for over 50 years?
If you stick a healthy cam in the LS1, you're knocking on 500 hp's door. With heads, it's closer to 550 than to 500.

Mike
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/GMPerfor...6454&engCat=ls

this might help answer why
Old 11-06-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RomulusSmallBlock
oh oh pic number one is my icon i think that is the after pic yes at the machine shop itself. you want pics i have alot of them. just tell me how to post them and they will be up so you can inspect them all. honestly i don't see how i am blowing smoke out of ppl's asses. all i am doing it telling you with proof it can be done. i am not telling anyone that i think it can be done because it has you want to argue that go a head and it i would be safe to assume that if you were around in 1492 you would have told christopher columbus that the world was flat, but yet here a man with proof. i have done it end of arguement. now if i am going to be bashed for basically helping ppl find a cheap alternative to the LS1, then who is wrong here. i did this because i couldn't afford a 1k-4k used or new engine which i assume most of you can either. what i could afford was a $400 whole 5.3L, and because its iron and not aluminum it would last alittle longer than the LS1. and $35 for a set of LS1 pistons isn't bad. its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the idea came from. that blocks look identical to each other and they share the same internal parts excluding pistons. i was going to keep it a 5.3l until i asked the machinist. he said maybe but that is alot to take out if you provide me a piston he could tell me for sure. so ebay bam...gave him the piston and it was done. now if you have a Fbody and are looking for a cheaper alturnative to an LS1 you have one. i must be the only person to have done this so far.
hey junior....get it straight. i didnt say that you didnt bore your 5.3L block .120" over. i was saying bullshit on what you said about the conventional sbc and bbc, that they couldnt safely be bored over that amount.so take a minute and re-read everything,your posts and mine, and you should see what i'm saying.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

hey junior....get it straight. i didnt say that you didnt bore your 5.3L block .120" over. i was saying bullshit on what you said about the conventional sbc and bbc, that they couldnt safely be bored over that amount.so take a minute and re-read everything,your posts and mine, and you should see what i'm saying.
so why such the angry tone OLD MAN. if anyone was blowing smoke out of a hole its you out your *** and ears. its not my intent to bash a chevy V8 period. my intent to show something that is little known about the new chevy V8s. soon very soon there won't even be bbc made by chevy for new trucks because they will replaced by either deseils or these new V8s. but i don't know about you i would reither know the basics from the classic chevy engines like bbc or sbc and be on the cutting edge of the romulus blocks than to dwell on only the past.

and as for reading your post. its alittle hard to read something when all there is is anger because i showed you respect i fail to see why you can't show me the same.

yes i am aware of some 350s that can be bored 150 over as well as a 4 bolt main 305, and i am aware that you can bore bbc more than sbc and some way out, but heres the thing most don't...60 over is the conventional rule of thumb but then again you know this just like any other person that hot rods knows this. but there are things that i don't know ex: Mark I-II series blocks all I know about them is there are three blocks from these series 348, 409, and a "W" 427. i know that the blocks are like a stepping stone from a sbc to a true bbc judging by the heads, and i can only guess that their deck height is about 9.6" aside from that i don't know never seen one in real life. bash on me for that too. do you want me to say that i am sorry for saying all sbc and bbc come on get real there are exception to every rule and change the tone to a more respect able one and show your age.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

you're wasting your time.

thankfully, he hasn't said anything technical enough that someone will go out and do... so there's little chance of someone harming their car due to his ignorant posts.
just do what i do, stop replying to him (this keeps him from continuing to post) and send a nice PM with reasons to the moderator (click the: under his name at the bottom of his posts)

eventually if he keeps the crap up, he'll be banned.. this has been gone over before... just laugh with it.. i know i laugh especially hard every time he mentions a SBC 305..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

****, that was supposed to be a PM, but i think i'll leave it for everyone to read.