10.07%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

NEW SCHOOL(lsBASED) VS OLD SCHOOL!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
While i tend to agree the LS1 is an improvement over the SBC, I do not feel it is all that. Also, not everything on the LS1 is an improvement... Non adjustable valvetrain strikes me as the most obvious one. Some people like to flaunt the 6 bolt mains, the old Hemi's had those, some like the aluminum blocks, those have been around for years as well, the improved valve angle which allows better flow is nothing new either, it was just not used in production before. Speaking of old school, how about that TPI GMHTP did not too long ago. .030 350, cast iron vortec heads, different intake, etc. and made like 417 hp and 486 ft/lbs. granted this was at the flywheel, but still not too shabby. Honestly i do not subscribe tyo the mag so I do not know exactly what was involved in the build up, but the conclusion was very impressive.
i like the valvetrain.
think about this... 90% of us can reuse whats almost a roller rocker... it works at high RPM and it doesnt have to be replaced... its a true ratio... unlike that stamped steel crap.

basiclly. it works perfect for anyone with a street or street/strip motor that is keeping the hyd roller...
anyone building something beyond that would need to replace the rockers on either motor... and its therefore a moot point.

so while its true that you'll need diffrent pushrods to adjust the valvetrain in a motor your building.... you dont need new rockers unless you're going all out.
and in that case, just buy adjustible ones... the option is right there.. and right there in price with SBC rockers of similar quality.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 degree heads vs 23 degree heads
Big Base circle cam vs Small Base circle
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

but it still bugs me that people claim the LS1 costs more. i know its only because they dont realise the real value into it... but none the less, its annoying.
It does cost more- if your ultimate goal is to make 300 hp. Like you said though, the real value kicks in when you are making 400+ rwhp. Even at 300hp it is closing up. Soon enough gen III/IV motors will be cheaper all around.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
Someone mentioned the article in CHP this month, which I got around to reading last night. They both made the same HP and cost the same. The "old school" ,however, had CNC ported Dart heads (vs as cast Darts), and a CNC ported prototype intake (both Edelbrock carb intakes). It also had a cam that made 6.5 in. of vacuum vs the LSx's 10 in. The cam used in the LS2 was a comp 281 (XER lobe I think). They said the old school was not streetable at all. I understand them showing what it takes to make two different engines with similar numbers, but why not go further and show what the Gen IV would have done with better heads and a more agressive cam.
Don't forget there were no mufflers and little more compression on the old school motor too.

As far as the budgets coming so close. I think it was because there were a few more "exotic" parts on the old school motor. But that goes to show you what it takes to keep up with the LSX motors.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

LS engine are the way to go these days, bar none!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
why didnt your friend do the work himself? or you help him?
i mean, the LS1 is easier to work on then the SBC... for example, in a cam swap, theres no dropping the pan. no distrib timing, no need to pull the intake, no gasketmaker involved (maybe 2 dabs if you want, but its not required), you can potentally reuse every gasket.. its as simple as it gets.
i tossed in a stock LS1 drivetrain for under 4,000 and got a 6spd trans, 32+mpg, and cut a 8.2 thru the stock z28 muffler..
just getting the trans under your car would be half that cost... what part of the LS1 costs more? our ported heads are half the cost of your AFRs..... if you want to go cheap GM stock vs stock, your "vortec" heads are right where our L92s are.. both are a great value straight from GM, and both require a unique intake... only the L92 stuff flows better.

really, it all comes down to what you know, and what your goals are.... but it still bugs me that people claim the LS1 costs more. i know its only because they dont realise the real value into it... but none the less, its annoying.
Well I can comfortably say my friend sent the car out cause he is a ***** and never works on his cars never has probably never will I would have been more than willing to help

Ive done a cam swap in an ls1 and your right its stupid easy so are headers (depending on the brand) my hookers were a total bitch but for what I have in the car I could not have picked up an ls1 or the trans to go with it (at least that I have seen) most the pull outs on ebay are like 4000 and up for that I can do a hell of a lot to my sbc which is already as fast as most bolt on ls1 cars

Dont get me wrong I would love to have one in my thirdgen but for me its not economical.... I just dont like the step by step instructions on how to build a ls1 car into a race machine it takes the work out of the hobby and cheapens it for all the people that really know what there doing IMHO

AL
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

i voted old school. There are plenty of SBC heads out there that could outflow LSx Heads.Plus building an old sbc is alot cheaper than lsx.

When u say Old School do u include bbc??if so then BBC all the way.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Statistically speaking your poll is WAY biased!

Andrew
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by topend
i voted old school. There are plenty of SBC heads out there that could outflow LSx Heads.Plus building an old sbc is alot cheaper than lsx.

When u say Old School do u include bbc??if so then BBC all the way.
How much would you have to spend on a set of SBC heads that would outflow a set of 243's or 317's as cast? Or even a set of ported 243's that flow 300 cfm for under $1000? You can buy a set of very low mile 317's for $300 shipped, and they blow vortecs out of the water(the best low buck factory head for SBC's), as well as many aftermarket heads that go for way more.
You can build a SBC for less, but only until a certain pawer level. Once you get past say 350 rwhp it is close if not in the LSx's favor. They can do that with bolt ons and a stock long block. You can go buy a used Vortec block, reuse the roller valve train, replace the cam, intake, buy a carb, distributor, that would be about your cheapest route. And even at that point you might have problems matching the power level of a stock LS1 long block, stock cam/intake motor. Put a cam in the LS1 and it is all over.
I own both so I am not biased, just realistic.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to vote for LSx engines for the obvious reasons, but its a tough choice. I guess what bugs me about making the choice are the guys who think LS1s were touched by the hand of God and are the only way to make power. I appreciate when they are around though, because my LT1 loves picking on them

Im not a fan of aluminum LS1 blocks - I dont like the piston slap, 3.9 bores, 4 head bolts per cyl and exhuast rasp. But I am in love with the iron versions...I'm building an iron block LSx based turbo motor because I cant argue with the cylinder head design, computer control and strength of a 6 bolt iron block at the 1000+hp levels I want to see. Either way, Im all for any pushrod V8 that can haul ***, and I'll argue for either engine if the guy Im arguing with just doesnt understand in the first place
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its fast Ill rock it!!! Oh yeah, it also has to be a GM, none of those moosewangs or slobras!!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most folks in here don't have the depth or background to comment on a Gen I or in many cases Gen II SBC. Most folks on here are Gen III/Gen IV enthusiasts. So it would stand to reason they pull for the Gen III/Gen IV.

As for the argument to call it a Romulus Small block that is some of the most ignorant posts I've see yet. Engines are built in numerous plants these aren't Ford Motors, so We don't call them Windsor, Cleveland, or Romulus motors. Does that mean I call Gen I motor Tonanwanda motors since Tonanwanda was a big engine plant in the day? Or should I call my LS6 St Therese?

If you want to argue Gen designation take it up with GM. They have been using the Gen designation on SBC and BBC motors for YEARS.

There are pluses and minuses for each engine. When I have more time I'll sit down and outline some of them. Keep in mind the aftermarket for the Gen I dwarfs the Gen II and Gen III. Also, there is plenty of power potential in a Gen I motor. Is the Gen III a good engine? Yes, of course it is. But don't exactly throw out the Gen I just yet....