Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap!!! This Is It!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I am a detail freak. It is not really clinical imho and I joke about it a lot myself. I am going into the medical field, and I damn sure bet my attention to detial will ally more fears than it causes over the course of my lifetime
I'm the same way. I usually research, then post as a last resort. I get frustrated when my car starts making noises as well. I tore out my whole interior once to find an annoying rattle. After a days worth of work, you would never guess what it was. It was the back seat belt. I always slide the latch down so it doesnt hit the handle to pull the seat down. One of the kids used it and I forgot to slide it back down.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Just thought I'd share that there's lots of us OCD like people. I'm actually on meds though!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I'm the same way. I usually research, then post as a last resort. I get frustrated when my car starts making noises as well. I tore out my whole interior once to find an annoying rattle. After a days worth of work, you would never guess what it was. It was the back seat belt. I always slide the latch down so it doesnt hit the handle to pull the seat down. One of the kids used it and I forgot to slide it back down.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Just thought I'd share that there's lots of us OCD like people. I'm actually on meds though!
I tore out my entire dash before on my 3rdgen to fix a squeek . Im sure im border line OCD myself lol.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Same sound here, only its usually not noticeable until you bring the revs up to 800-1100.

Started after the switch from 10-30 dino to 0-30 Amsoil. Same sound with 5-40 Amsoil. It is LOUD, and only gets louder if it bounces off walls, buildings, other cars etc. Stock motor.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

My car had 5w30 dino in it when I got it and it was very quiet then I went to GC and I noticed it. I am now going to try some amsoil 5w40.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

On a very interesting note, one guy said his did the same thing AFTER switching from 5-30 valvoline dino oil to 0-30GC. I think on my next oil change I will try a dino oil and see if it matters. Im not going to worry with it, but if it prefers one oil over another, why not?
Don't put dino oil back in, instead use Royal Purple 5W30 or Amsoil 0W30. They both will quiet that tick down considerably. It did on my SS.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

The difference is reguilar oil vs synthetic. Any good synthetic will actually make these engines louder.

My engine was very quiet when I got it. It did not make any noise at all. It had Conoco 10-30 in it.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMSS
Don't put dino oil back in, instead use Royal Purple 5W30 or Amsoil 0W30. They both will quiet that tick down considerably. It did on my SS.
Every motor is a lil diff tho some say GC 0w30 quiets their motor but it made my noise noticable. I wouldnt go back to dino either but if a oil quieted your motor doesnt mean it will quiet his also.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say, with M1 10-30 it is definitely quieter than the 10-40 Castrol, not a lot, but some and I can tell. With the Castrol 10-30 (lighter than mobile 1 byt a LITTLE) it was even quieter. Basically, my car makes less noise with a light synthetic v/s a heavy one. Is 10W 30 M1 bad for me if I change it every 3K miles or so?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Banned

probably not, but keep an eye on oil level with the M1, it's thinness at operating temp tends to lead to a little more oil consumption.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

My car does the exact same thing, if not louder. When it is cold it does it really bad. Once it warms up tho it doesnt do it anymore. I use GC 0w30
Old 11-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
probably not, but keep an eye on oil level with the M1, it's thinness at operating temp tends to lead to a little more oil consumption.
I had castrol 10-30 in it for over 1000 miles and its lighter yet! (10.1 CST @ 100 vs. M1's 10.7 CST @ 100). It used no discernable amount, a mL or something maybe, but I couldnt tell on the dip stick. I run 6 qts and a standard filter. I check it every 500 miles or so though
Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you live? Do you know anyone else with an fbod nearby?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Where do you live? Do you know anyone else with an fbod nearby?
Next door neighbor. I feel bad for him though, its an 00 TA A4. It has a vac leak so big it sounds like a 2.2KB on there.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a detail freak. It is not really clinical imho and I joke about it a lot myself. I am going into the medical field, and I damn sure bet my attention to detial will ally more fears than it causes over the course of my lifetime

Funny you should say that.. my car does the exact same thing. However, I didn't notice it until after my H/C swap. It's been back to the shop and redynoed. It's never broken, I get 22mpg with 400rwhp and it still worries me especially when someone mentions it. Then again, I am a doctor. That being said, there are probably people in the waiting room right now. I guess this explains why you guys have to wait so long for your doctor appts. Gotta go. Your sound is normal.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
Funny you should say that.. my car does the exact same thing. However, I didn't notice it until after my H/C swap. It's been back to the shop and redynoed. It's never broken, I get 22mpg with 400rwhp and it still worries me especially when someone mentions it. Then again, I am a doctor. That being said, there are probably people in the waiting room right now. I guess this explains why you guys have to wait so long for your doctor appts. Gotta go. Your sound is normal.
Haha, thanks. I am on track to become a BSN and then go into anesthesiology. GPA so far is looking good to get me into nursing school and I dont have too many more credits until clinicals (so far its been easy, but clinicals are known to be a bitch and im steeling myself for it).
Old 11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 tempest

it is normal, and i think it is called piston slap. the car is engineered to have some for piston expansion as the motor gets hot. it sounds similiar to lifter or rocker arms tapping.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mullenh
it is normal, and i think it is called piston slap. the car is engineered to have some for piston expansion as the motor gets hot. it sounds similiar to lifter or rocker arms tapping.
Its not slap, slap is a deeper noise, this is from the heads. Rocker arms, my 5.0 had rr's and made the EXACT noise, I went and barrowed it for 10 minutes from my dad to verify...yep, only the 5.0 makes it a LOT louder. Its normal I guess.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to say BLKWS.6 that you were obsessed, well, you are, BUT, I guess you DID fing the noise!

To all the nay sayers, well, there it is, big deal or not. I was soo pissed that mine started to make noise AFTER the oil change and never before, I was just going to run it stright to hell on the highway in 1st gear, and, as she blew, I was going to throw up that middle finger and say "ha ha fuuuuuuuuuuu* YOU!!!!!!!". Damn, well, if its normal, I guess there is no use in doing that!? Still pisses me off it did it right when I am going to sell it though.

Just for the record, "I" used royal purple 15-40 in case it was ragged on before I got it. Seeing as how dino is supposed to be thinner than regular oil (flow wise at least), I figure it is the equivelant of a 10w? Anyways, didnt really care, just wanted to throw it in there to see what the preassure would look like compared to the 1030/40 that was in there before. With the royal purple in her, she is just a ticking away. Now, lets just get one thing stright, before you say thats where the ticking is coming from on mine, with thick oil, it only tickes when HOT! When its cold, I have not heard it tick yet, just warm, and, "it ticks just like the video"!!!

If anyones has time, throw some dino in thier engine. I want to see if this does correct the ticking. I am to lazy to do it and its cold out there.

Last edited by csmc711; 11-18-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Mine does it all the time, regardless of temperature.

That may or may not "fix" (if you can call it that) the issue. Synthetics are generally thinner and that is why you are hearing the noises. After a good synthetic was run through your engine though and cleaned out all the years of buildup from the dino oil, going back may net little improvement because of that fact alone. But the motor should be quieter.

That isn't enough of a reason for me to go back though.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know its an old post but just an update on my car with this similar ticking noise. I just finish with my cam install, which i upgraded my whole valvetrain and the ticking noise is gone. so it has to be the valvetrain. I've noticed that i had alot of slack on my timing chain. which could cause this noise.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap!!! This Is It!