Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More cat-back exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More cat-back exhaust questions

How loud is a loud mouth? I am interested in this exhaust because of its price and light weight. I also want a good bit louder exhaust note than the current stock SS exhaust has, but I don't want my car to sound like a log truck. I have a 1993 LX 5.0 with an off-road H-pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters. I would like my SS to sound similar in volume and quality to this. The most important part of that is volume though. I don't want to buy a catback with a normal muffler (like corsa, B&B, hooker, etc) and the car not be any louder than the stock SS exhaust, but I also don't want it to sound like a four-wheel drive with glass packs. I am still kind of leaning toward the Loud Mouth. Which of the other common catbacks(hooker, random tech, mac) are a good bit louder than the SS exhaust? I know this question has been asked 1,000 times, but people usually talk about sound quality. I want quality, but I am mainly looking for a certain volume, not obnoxiously loud but noticeably louder than stock. Thanks for your help. PL
Old 12-14-2001, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,164 Likes on 757 Posts

Default Re: More cat-back exhaust questions

Loudmouth is pretty loud, Hooker is deeper, B&B is not as loud but sounds classy.

Let me put it to you this way, Loudmouth + no cats is too loud for me.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:41 PM
SSU Moderator

the loudmouth is pretty loud. almost cutout loud. any aftermarket catback short of the SLP dual/dual will be louder than your stock SS unit. Hooker sounds good and doesnt cost anything. Same with the aluminum random tech. Borla is adjustable and sounds great through the muffler. B&B sounds good as well. A mufflex single out 3.5" has a great deep tone to it and doesnt get loud until your really in it. I am trying to find a site with a bunch of exhaust sounds...but no luck so far.

Ryan
Old 12-14-2001, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I am starting to lean towards the Hooker because of price and your comments on the sound. Thanks again, PL
Old 12-14-2001, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,164 Likes on 757 Posts

I tend to like a tuned sound so I like the Hooker because it has a distinctive deep burble to it.

I have the 4" Mufflex and it's droney at hell.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]Let me put it to you this way, Loudmouth + no cats is too loud for me. <hr></blockquote>

Thats what I have on my car right now plus Mac headers. But I am thinking about going with B&B but is it worth the money and out perform my loudmouth? I am also running Nitrous and hope to have A cam in by 6 months or so, so what catback should I go with cause I have lost some bottom end power with straight pipes.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some sound files for you stored
in the download section here
http://ls1info.com
Old 12-14-2001, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Does anybody know of any group purchases or huge discounts on some of the more popular catbacks? Thunder Racing has the Hooker for $259 plus shipping which is pretty hard to beat. I thought I read about a group purchase on the Loudmouth somewhere lately too, but I can't remember where. PL
Old 12-14-2001, 11:07 PM
Launching!

How about a MAC True Fit Cat Back - it is reasonably priced and has stainless tips. I think it is like $399 direct from MAC. I'v been thinking about the MAc but no one seems to know anything about it - which suprises me considering the amount of guys who have had or have MAC Headers.

Mitch