Sponsored by:

De-Carbonization Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default De-Carbonization Procedures

Hi Guys,
I'm from the Corvette side, but I have a question which might concern all LS1 owners. Does anyone know how to perform the de-carb procedure that the dealers talk about? Or is this something that the dealers won't tell about?
Old 12-26-2001, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: De-Carbonization Procedures

Yeah, there are several ways to do it though, most guys either use the GM top engine cleaner of Seafoam, the Seafoam can be dumped into the fuel but will probably not works as well as running it through the PVC system which you can do with the Seafoam or some guys pull the plugs and put it in there and let it sit over nite, I know a little about it but am no expert maybe someone else can give you a more detailed answer.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:43 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well, GM sells the liquid and the aerosol type.
There are other brands out there.
With the aerosol type, you idle/fast idle the motor and spray it right down the throttle body (I used this one)
With the liquid, you could pull it into a running engine via a vacuum line, or you could remove the plugs and put it right into the cylinders-pretty messy but some have done it (you would want to do an oil change pretty soon).
The aerosol type worked to get rid of my knock retard.
Either way, be prepared for lots of smoke the first time you drive it, LOL.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

if you have bad carbon build up on the your pistons you need to pull the plugs and let the top engine cleaner sit in the cylinders overnight. just remember to suck it out before you replace the plugs. if you just want a cleaning go to a shop or dealer and get a B.G. induction service. they have the sprayer for the chemicals you could buy just the chemicals if you can figure out how to deliver it into the throttle body, you could suck it into the pcv hose but this can be dangerous and is not as effective.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

My buddy did it once with his 96Z and he sucked it thru a vacuum line... Car smoked for the next hour of driving. Really hilarious, car will smoke like a 35 year old Buick.