Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure!! WTF?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got 88k on m car it idles at 40 (650rpm) and crusing in overdrive its at 55-60psi.. i would check the magnet on the oil plug...and maybe cut the filter in half to make sure you have no metal in the motor..a buddy of mine had this problem and he spun a bearing a month later...
Old 12-15-2007, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eamador11
Nice...thats why I stay with AC delco filters, cant go wrong with OEM
I agree.I have talked to automobile engineers about this very thing.they say ''We spend millions of dollars every year to test oil and filters''.Think about it,why would they skimp on a part so small in cost that could cause such a disastrous affect on revenue for them.These engines aren't cheap.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

mine at idle is about 40psi or a bit hiugher than 40psi

5w 30 syn is what I use 5.5 - 6 qt
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, i spoke to one of the guys at SDPC and he said that it might be a cam bearing issue. I havent seen anything out of the ordinary, as far as shavings in oil. I hope its nothing like that. Im just gonna change out the oil pump with a melling one. They have it for $89. You cant beat that.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Launching!

First post in 2006? Man have you seriously been having this problem for over a year??? So anyways i have a little bit of insight. I had a similar problem that started out worse. I took my car autocrossing and stupidly didnt have the oil topped off. Anyways it starved the motor and the pump went out. I got a new oil pump and a new sending unit. Ever since then its been reading really low. I used to be at 40 psi plus hot idle, now it shows 20-30psi. Anyways i went and had it tested with a manual gauge. This is what you really need to do to be sure your motor is getting oil. Any shop should be able to do it, they just screw in the gauge to where the sending unit is. As crazy as this is going to sound all you need according to GM is 8 psi at hot idle and it just needs to increase in pressure as you go up in RPM's. If you got that you're golden. No shavings in the oil is also a good sign, because if your car wont increase pressure with rpm's it could be a bearing. Mine has been reading like this for almost 2 years now and still running so I'm pretty confident.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did the mechanical gauge read on your car?? My pressure still goes up, but only up to about 45-50psi at 5500 rpm. I am also looking into hooking up a mechanical gauge to it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so your last post on this issue was on 12/08/2006, and over a year later on 12/13/2007 you decided that it is still a problem?

Did you ever change the Oil Pressure Sending Unit?
How many miles have you driven in the last year?
How many oil changes, different oils, filters?

Sorry, but hard to imagine you've lived with it for a year, and now with no other indication (that you've posted here) you might possibly have a bad cam bearing, and will be resolving the problem by replacing the oil pump...

I'm sorry your oil pressure isn't what you want it to be (what it used to be), but over a year ago, several people assured you it was ok, and more than adequate. Troubling as it might be, this is the very reason why your temp gauge doesn't read an exact temp, and only indicates an overheating engine.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not saying thats its a bad bearing or that the oil pump will "fix" the problem. Its just that this has gradually been happening. The last time i changed my oil i used a different filter and oil and I did notice that the pressure went down just a bit, but the drop happened way before then. I was always using the GC 0-30w and a ac delco filter. I also do have a small oil leak coming from the oil pan. When I get a chance to tear into it again im gonna replace the gasket and the pump to see if it alleviates any of the problem. If not, then im gonna run her into the ground until it dies!! If it were a cam bearing, I should have done some major damage by now, dont you think??
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still didn't answer on the sending unit or mileage. It should be much easier, and cheaper, to change the sending unit first.

That said, I agree that a bad cam bearing would probably have caused you more problem by now. Since you have an oil leak to fix anyway, changing the pump while you are that far into it is cheap insurance.

Thanks for not taking my post personal. Here's hoping you get it resolved to your satisfaction!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No offense. I did swap out the OPSU with a new ac delco one when it first started acting up, not much difference. I currently have about 118k on the clock. I bought this car brand new, so I know when something is up. It started acting up about 8 months after I did my cam swap. I also replaced the oil pump at the same time i did my cam. Could it be that the o ring came out of place or something to that effect that is causing "blowby"??

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure!! WTF?!?!?!