Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP-Cooling Fans arent coming on! Went out while driving. What do I check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP-Cooling Fans arent coming on! Went out while driving. What do I check?

Checked the fuse labeled as Cool Fan
There are three large boxes 1'x1' in size in the fuse box labeled Fan # 1,2, and 3. Could these be the problem? HELP
Old 01-11-2002, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: HELP-Cooling Fans arent coming on! Went out while driving. What do I check?

ummm, there should be a fuse for the fans as well as the relays. check them first. get a test light and disconnect the plugs at the fan motor and test the wires with the motor running, A/C on and you should have power on at least one wire. if you do then you have a bad fan motor. if no power on the wire you have a wiring problem. let me know what happens
Old 01-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Default Re: HELP-Cooling Fans arent coming on! Went out while driving. What do I check?

OK,
I am going out to check, but if I am reading you correctly, when I flip the A/C on, the fans should come on? Right?
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

dunno about both fans but at least one of them should come on. it will cycle w/the compressor. is it overheating?

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: fatboy ]</p>
Old 01-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Couple of updates:
Just went out and checked the fuses. They appeared ok. As far as checking ohms, I will have to try and do that in the morning. The fans did kick on with the A/C.

One thing, which is probably important, I have the fans set to the Hypertech 180 Stat, and I have a 160 stat in there. It has been running halfway between the 160 mark and the next unnumbered mark. It was set with the 160 stat, but when it got colder, the gauge would barely move above the 160 mark, so I upped the fans to the 180 setting. Could this be causing the problem. If it is, I am just curious as to why it took so long to do it. With the fans coming on with the A/C, and not normally, would that indicate that the temp switch that turns the fan on could be out?

It isnt actually overheating, it is just getting up to normal "factory" operating temp. But..as above stated, with the HPP3, it should be really low.
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:15 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Weird. If you just want to check that the fans are functional @ low/high speed, turn off ignition and go to the large connector on the passenger side wheel well and pull it apart. Locate the pins that correspond to the dark green and dark blue wires. Put the dark green pin to ground with a probe or wire and the fans should come on low speed. Put the dark green AND the dark blue pins to ground and the fans should come on high.This is how the pcm commands the fans to come on, and I THINK this is based solely on the feed from the ECT sensor signal, excepting when the AC compressor is on.
BTW, these are the wires I used for my manual fan switch.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First reload your fan settings and make sure you didn't accidently go back to stock.

I would then borrow atap and see what the temp is really doing. Let the car sit and idle and watch the temps on ATAP. If the temp climbs over 200* and the fans haven't kicked on, then there is an issue.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Teching In

This is just weird.
I hooked up the HPP3, and it showed that it had been installed with the 180 degree settings, but the fans weren't coming on. So, I reset it with the 160 Degree settings and BAM! They were coming on like clockwork.
Is it even possible that the PCM just "forgot" to turn the fans on or something? Or could it be a glitch in the programming in my copy of the HPP3?
Seems to be functioning normally again, thanks for the help.