Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big bore/short stroke LSx

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool big bore/short stroke LSx

Ok, here I am an overzealous n3wb trying to cement my place in the hearts of two totally different goups of ppl...

I wanna do this...- take a bare LSx block, install the shortest stroke crank available (which I presume is outta the 4.8 block). Next I wanna bore the bejeesus out of it with the absolute biggest bore safely attainable in an LSx.

You may be able to see what I'm trying to do...here's the wish list...

11:1 compression
Super stiff valve springs
Cam that will support my high-revving wishes

(All attainable really)

The question is, can someone point me in the right direction because I KNOW this isn't the first time someone has come up with the "anti-displacement formula"

Can someone maybe gimme a parts list? Or maybe we can start a discussion on the pros and cons of such a setup...

BTW, this would all be going in a 240SX (that's where the other party to please comes in...lol)

Cliffs:
Basically, I wanna build a trans-am spec LSx that will rev and still have decent torque...

Sorry for the DP, I'm posting from a Sidekick 2 so I never knew the post went through...lol

Last edited by FreeMyndz v.fp; 12-16-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Teching In

a 327 mid 60's early 70's would have a bigger bore and same stroke stock.

if you are looking for rpm's i would go this way as people have squeezed 9k out of them.
all for a price though
Old 12-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Teching In

heheh forgot to mention your powerband would be in the gutter untill 4-6k
Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeMyndz v.fp
Ok, here I am an overzealous n3wb trying to cement my place in the hearts of two totally different goups of ppl...

I wanna do this...- take a bare LSx block, install the shortest stroke crank available (which I presume is outta the 4.8 block). Next I wanna bore the bejeesus out of it with the absolute biggest bore safely attainable in an LSx.

You may be able to see what I'm trying to do...here's the wish list...

11:1 compression
Super stiff valve springs
Cam that will support my high-revving wishes

(All attainable really)

The question is, can someone point me in the right direction because I KNOW this isn't the first time someone has come up with the "anti-displacement formula"

Can someone maybe gimme a parts list? Or maybe we can start a discussion on the pros and cons of such a setup...

BTW, this would all be going in a 240SX (that's where the other party to please comes in...lol)

Cliffs:
Basically, I wanna build a trans-am spec LSx that will rev and still have decent torque...
Start with the LS7 bore size and 4.8 crank. That's about what GM/Katech did for the first CTSV R Caddy race engines.

FWIW, torque output will depend on displacement, not stroke...but that's another can of worms regularly opened around here.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Well, I aint lookng to do NASCAR numbers...lol just trying to have a less torquey bottom-half of the powerband but just as much oomph up top...maybe a good rev range with usable power from 3k-7.5k...maybe 8k...

Plus, in a 240, any V8 torque would get that thing moving...I just don't wanna have traction problems below 3k...
Old 12-17-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be looking at a solid roller with shaft rockers. Probably Ti valves if you want 7500-8000 with LS7 sized valves. and a fairly light bottom end. The small rod journals and piston pins, which are dismissed as not necessary for nearly all configuration on this forum, may be desirable.

But the question, that I will let others answer, is why?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I really don't have good reason as to why I would wanna do something like this...I just see myself piecing together a swap, so why not build the exact motor I've always dreamed of having...

Plus, why would I want a stump-pulling torque monster in something like a 240sx? It would defeat the purpose of having a decent-handling easy-to-drive everyday car that I would do some track work in occasionally...

I'm in no way saying that I want a race motor. Just something a little more rev-worthy than your average everyday LSx...

Why did you pick the setup you did? Bet it was outta preference, right?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Teching In

should just lsx it with a cam that gives the powerband 1200 to 5800
in a 240 that would be quick, not having power untill the higher revs would destroy its streetablity
Old 12-18-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^agreed, id just go stock displacement with tip top valves, springs, retainers, etc and you should be good to go.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just do a 4.125 bore with a stock stroke, You will make awesome power across the board
Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys!!!

Quick Reply: big bore/short stroke LSx