Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust mod last night :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New exhaust mod last night :)

Tried a couple of new mods to the car last night.
First I wanted to see if I could quiet down the exhaust without putting the full catback back on the car.
I had previously cut off the back half of the catback and was running the MAC Ypipe with cats to the collector and then a short piece of 3 inch tubing with dynomax 3 inch race magnum muffler dumping about 6 inches behind the axle. This shaved about 30 pounds of weight off my car. (About 50 pounds with the stock exhaust)
This worked well but was pretty loud with resonance under the car.
I thought that if I could extend the 3 inch piece of pipe under the axle and just past it a couple of inches it would quiet it down a lot and not add the weight of the rest of the catback.
I used a piece of 3 inch tubing about 14 inches long and cut a slashed tip at the end. I ran the pipe underneath the pass side of the rear end (Underneath the side axle beside the centersection) and had it exit about 3 inches past the rear. I used a muffler clamp to hold it temporarily to the int pipe and went for a drive.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The car sounds as quiet now as when I had the catback on the car, plus there are no fumes. The exhaust is also more efficient than with the catback on as it is virtually straight back from the collector. (No bends over the axle and tailpipes to restrict flow etc)
From behind the car you cant even notice the pipe and their is no banging or rattling etc. I am going to get it welded up and then take some pics. If you are looking for a lightweight solution than this will work for you. Plus you get a little extra power as well versus the catback.
Cheers,
Chris