Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LT problems, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 04:51 PM
Launching!

Default Hooker LT problems, HELP!

I just got back from the exhaust shop. I am planning to make a custom y pipe for my Hooker LT's. My problem is the exhaust shop said that it will be difficult to run the y pipe under the brace (black brace about 2 feet long and runs left to right and the y pipe runs between that and the frame) that runs from left to right on the car right about where the y collector connects to the catback. Did anyone else take that bracket or brace off when having a y pipe made and not use it at all? Will it loosen up the car at all? I wanted to go with 3 inch pipe but he said there is no way I could fit that size pipe under there unless I removed that black brace and I am nervouse about making the car "looser", more flexible.
Old 02-05-2002 | 04:56 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Hooker LT problems, HELP!

I still have my brace in place with the Flowmaster collector above it.
Old 02-05-2002 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's just a floorpan brace. I know of several people that have removed it without issue.

If you have SFCs, don't even worry about it. I think it's meant to hold the floorpan sides in place. Not a biggie if you have other bracing.

BMR I believe sells a version of the brace that has plenty of space as well. It's called a Tunnel Brace I believe.

Regardless of the fact that you can very easily fit a 3" pipe under there (I personally do), taking it off won't kill ya.

Dope
Old 02-05-2002 | 08:44 PM
Launching!

So it should be fine if I just go 3" and try to modify it myslef, if it doesn't fit right I will just go with the BMR driveshaft safety loop. One more question, does Flowmaster make a 3" in 3" out collector for a 3" y pipe? It will be bolting to my stock WS6 catback?
Old 02-05-2002 | 09:16 PM
Launching!

A 3" pipe will fit. You can just bend the brace down a little. It's pretty flimsy. I have the BMR loop and spaced it with a couple of washers.
Old 02-06-2002 | 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

My brace was pitched in the lake about 31/2 years ago. You dont need it unless you like to hear banging all the time.

Ron
98 TA/WS7
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Go ahead and toss the brace. One thing to note on custom y-pipes is they may interfere with the off the shelf drive shaft safety loops. I will have to custom fab mine.

-Allen
Old 02-06-2002 | 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Brendon,
If removing that mid brace bothers you alot, just go down to your local hardware store and buy 4 1/2 longer bolts and 4 nylon or aluminum 1/2 washers to "shim" it away from the pipe. But if your decide to "pitch it" like Ron said, theres no real harm done especially if you plan on installing SFC's. Good luck! and have fun.
Old 02-06-2002 | 01:23 PM
Launching!

Thanks for answering my question, the headers will go in this weekend and the y pipe on Tuesday if all goes well..