Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth it to switch to ported ls6 heads from ported ls1 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it to switch to ported ls6 heads from ported ls1 heads?

I have been trying to decide on this for a few weeks now and just cant make up my mind if it would be worth it. The reason im thinking about getting some 243 heads is that in a year or so im going to put a 427 or 454 lsx engine in my car. I have read that the ported 243 heads will work great with my stock setup now, but what im debating on is when i get my new engine will i be able to modify these heads further to like a stage 3 job to accommodate the larger bore? Like i said i know they will be better than my ported 853 castings but i dont what to buy these and when i get my new engine have to buy a different set. By the way i have an ls6 block, ls6 manifold, and if i get the heads i will have a total ls6 engine. Would this be worth more for resale purposes or just keep the ls1 heads and get the better heads with the new shortblock? THanks
Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO it's not worth it if ur going to put a 4xx ci in ur car soon unless u can buy the LS6 heads cheap and at least get ur money back when u sell ur old setup. With a 4xx ci engine I would be watching the L92 heads to see how they perform, they look good out of the box but keeping an eye on them for a yr or so I'm sure the aftermarket company will figure out what the best porting is for ur setup that u choose.

first off what are the flow #s on ur LS1 heads?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I would wait and get the better heads with the new short block. If you're going to do a 427 or 454 wait and get heads that are specifically made for the 4" or larger bore.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

i say wait also.then get you a set of heads that will suport that big powerplant.you will be out alot of time and trouble and extra money also if you have a set of 243s worked over twice.by the time you get the stroker you may want an aftermarket casting that flows huge air to keep up with that many cubes.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto. Keep teh LS1 heads then up to the L92 heads for the big bore / stroker motor.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait and get L92's for a 400+ inch motor.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
IMO it's not worth it if ur going to put a 4xx ci in ur car soon unless u can buy the LS6 heads cheap and at least get ur money back when u sell ur old setup. With a 4xx ci engine I would be watching the L92 heads to see how they perform, they look good out of the box but keeping an eye on them for a yr or so I'm sure the aftermarket company will figure out what the best porting is for ur setup that u choose.

first off what are the flow #s on ur LS1 heads?
Thats what i thought just wanted a second opinion. I have been watching those L92 heads as well and hope they hold up. Also i dont know the flow numbers i bought them from a guy and he did not know either. I took them to el inca racing cams shop for inspection to make sure there were no cracks, etc.. I wish i would have already had the cam in to feel the difference when i put the heads on, but i did both at same time so not sure what the numbers are. It pulls hard as hell now though. Thanks guys for all your advice.