Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 race cam...what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3/4 race cam...what the heck?

I hear it all the time, WHAT! is a 1/2 or 3/4 or whatnot race-cam? The people who say they have these never know lift, duration, or centerline. Whats up with this?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's an old school thing or something...my dad and my grandfather both said that and I never can get em to explain to me what exactly it freakin means...i'm going to google it right now.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VetteFella from chevelle.com:

Wish I could give a technical distinction between 3/4 and full race, but I can't even though I began my love affair with wheeled conveyances in the early 50s...That was just a few days before I discovered the REAL difference between boys and girls. Frankly, I'm not sure there are many people that knew the technical difference in the cams. I don't remember seeing references to actual cam specs until sometime in the 60s.

I know that the terms originated with the flat head Fords...I had 3-4 of those...but for me, the distinction between the cams came with the advent of the small block. A mild cam with a small lope using hydralic lifters was the 3/4. The heavy lope full race cams were those with solid lifters.

Yep, 3/4 and full race cams are outdated terms, but ya gotta remember that technology and the knowledge thereof didn't happen overnight. For example: Most of you think of a fax as sticking a sheet of paper into a machine and a few seconds later it's gone. My introduction to facsimile was back when it took 4-5 minutes to transmit a single page. If it was a picture, it took much longer. The PC you use to make these posts has a memory capacity measured in gigabytes. I was teaching computer related stuff in the 60s when the memory capacity was measured in single bits...several years before the term "byte" came into common usage.

Outmoded terms they may be, but those were the terms used for performance cams in the beginning of the common folk's need for speed. We had to start somewhere.

I keep telling myself I'm not getting old. You guys keep bringing up subjects that prove me wrong.
-
-
That's what I got from google and Chevelle.com-Ed
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

My dad uses that term....it frustrates me to no end.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They use it because they have no idea what cam specs are. They didn't look near as far into it back then. Go ask some old schooler what the .300" to .500" lift flow on his heads at 28" of water is and then ask him about his camshaft duration at .006", .200", .050", LSA, and ICL. He'll think your some kinda weirdo.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont now the exact specifications of it but.....When it is paired with "humper heads" aka "camel back heads" or "double hump heads" and a BIG holley carb it will always lift the frontend off the ground upon launch....on the street....In a 1975 monte carlo.True story, the car changes often though depending how drunk the person is.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake
I dont now the exact specifications of it but.....When it is paired with "humper heads" aka "camel back heads" or "double hump heads" and a BIG holley carb it will always lift the frontend off the ground upon launch....on the street....In a 1975 monte carlo.True story, the car changes often though depending how drunk the person is.
I had that exact setup on my Schwinn 10 speed.....and I can say that..........yes it would pull the tire on the street!!!

Mean som bitch that Schwinn was...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont forget the ever popular RV cam...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I hear it all the time, WHAT! is a 1/2 or 3/4 or whatnot race-cam? The people who say they have these never know lift, duration, or centerline. Whats up with this?
If I have one more redneck tell me he has a 3/4 cam in his 79 Cutlass I'm gonna ****** punch him in the face and then shoot myself.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bad2000z
If I have one more redneck tell me he has a 3/4 cam in his 79 Cutlass I'm gonna ****** punch him in the face and then shoot myself.
Rednecks, lol.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Its a V8 cam with 12 lobes. Damn dont you guys know anything? LOL.....
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Its a V8 cam with 12 lobes. Damn dont you guys know anything? LOL.....
HAHAHA
Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the worst guy ive came across, was back when ls1's were fairly new and i had a 383 lt1,
i used to work at a dealership as a tech, and this dude that was just hired,
started commenting on my car to other ppl, how he would wipe out my
junk with his mustang, i never said anything, and the one day he just called me out and asked if i wanted to race, i agreed and asked what he had lined up,
thats when started letting off on what he had,
his block was bored to the max, he had a 3/4 race cam, and he had modified
a roots blower on his mustang to operate with a switch like the car from the movie mad max, i kid u not. i was like....... oookay then
the last nail in the coffin was when he made the comment that his bro had just bought a WS6 with the superchager option, that was only available for that yr and and not available on the new cameros. i had heard enuff BS
and to top it off he was dead serious.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS
the worst guy ive came across, was back when ls1's were fairly new and i had a 383 lt1,
junk with his mustang, i never said anything, and the one day he just called me out and asked if i wanted to race, i agreed and asked what he had lined up,
a roots blower on his mustang to operate with a switch like the car from the movie mad max, i kid u not. i was like....... oookay then
the last nail in the coffin was when he made the comment that his bro had just bought a WS6 with the superchager option, that was only available for that yr and and not available on the new cameros. i had heard enuff BS
LOL!! That's good stuff I can't believe that guy didn't know there was a supercharger option on the Camaro's too!

I'm kidding
Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NemeSS
He said a on/off blower like in mad max and a supercharged optioned WS6, what a toolshed. Why do people talk **** and then make up stories and back out when some finally steps up to wax em?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 3/4 race car.... wtf is wrong with people these days. I don't consider any cam a race cam, the tunes now adays are so good you can take any cam on the street IMO.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck
dont forget the ever popular RV cam...
I should tell people I have an RV cam in my truck, then say I have a full race cam in our Z28. I remember friends from high school muttering the same things, I never understood what they were talking about. Although most had Novas, Chevelles, Malibus with "396", manual TH350 and a spool ... they were the fastest on the street.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

I hate it when people are talking about cars "back then". People always make Chevelles or something with a Hemi or even a Boss Mustang sound like they could **** through silk. Ooooh and "that thang had a big block" that's another favorite and there are more big block cars that won't fall out of a tree than small blocks.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

3/4 Race Cam means you can do three quarter-mile passes in a row before it blows up!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should see the looks on their faces when I tell them I have a 454 ci small block. There like :wtf:

Quick Reply: 3/4 race cam...what the heck?