Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about SLP VALVE springs..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about SLP VALVE springs..

Well I broke another valve spring and I am about to try another brand. Does anyone know if the SLP springs
rated closed at 105-115 lbs @ 1.8" and open 310-340lbs @ 1.2" will work with my T1 cam?

A local guy says he is running these springs with a MMS 224 cam w/ .570 lift and has had no problems.

Also SLP states on the site that these springs are 1.250" diameter straight coil design. Will the REV Ti retainers
that fit the CC941's also fit the SLP springs mentioned above?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Questions about SLP VALVE springs..

At the SLP day an engineer from SLP told me that they can not handle the ramp speed of the T1 cam. I don't know for sure, but it is not worth the risk if they said it wont work.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find out who makes the springs, as SLP buys them from someone else. and then get the specs from them and ask your cam supplier. SLP engineers have been wrong speaking to me before. I just went with the cc918's because it was not worth the work to research the other springs. SLP sales guys don't know crap, atleast this guy is willing to go check for you.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bill salie:
<strong>SLP engineers have been wrong speaking to me before. .</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bill - not sure who you have talked to before???

Anyway, the saleman he talked to was Nick who did indeed ask me about the spring / application today. The sales guys are pretty good about asking when in doubt. I told him to get the ramp rate information, a profile plot, the numbers, anything. I am not going to say yes/no based on "it has a really high ramp rate, will it work". I doubt any engine builder would. I don't have the T1 specs handy either as we do all our own cams.

Anyway, we have thrashed our spring pretty good and have them running in all our head/cam and stoker motors - including our test mule that gets major thrashing all the time...upwards of 7k+. I also had Comp Cams run them on their spintron machine and we have not had any problems.

Thanks - Brian

<small>[ April 16, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: horsepower ]</small>
Old 04-16-2002, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brian,
Thanks for coming onto this thread.
I can get the cam card tonight and give you the specs and maybe we cam come to a definitive conclusion about cam and springs compatibility.

Nick only asked for duration and lift, which I don't believe tells the whole story. After he talked with you, he did tell me the spring should work, but I am still skeptical.

I am doing the install and I have an ME background. I have a few more questions if you have the time to speak person to person, mainly on valve spring breakage and the T1 cam ramp rates/profile.

<small>[ April 16, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Speed Demon ]</small>
Old 04-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Speed Demon:
<strong>Brian,
Thanks for coming onto this thread.
I can get the cam card tonight and give you the specs and maybe we cam come to a definitive conclusion about cam and springs compatibility.

Nick only asked for duration and lift, which I don't believe tells the whole story. After he talked with you, he did tell me the spring should work, but I am still skeptical.

I am doing the install and I have an ME background. I have a few more questions if you have the time to speak person to person, mainly on valve spring breakage and the T1 cam ramp rates/profile.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no problem, call me tomorrow - 732-240-3696 ext 139
thanks,brian
Old 04-17-2002, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Bill. Not trying to disagree, but are the ramp rates on MMS 224 not close to the T1?

Guess I could get the cam cards and compare?

I just got off the phone with SLP, I was curious to see what they have to say first hand.

The sales guy told me sure they would work with the T1, but when I asked about ramp rates he told me he would ask the engineers and get back to me.

If not for Bill's info I might have bought the springs based on the salesman's recommendation.

I'll let you know what they say when they call back.