Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In line with some recent threads discussing smaller cams and "milder" combinations...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Lets revive this old thread
I'm with you! Should be interesting if others are game. Especially if Tony Mamo gets involved again.
In for the ride....

Last edited by G Atsma; 04-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. I'd definitely like to hear Tony's retrospective on this build. Are there better/easier ways to get the same today?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Maybe the question is "Flow Wizard" really "Patron" can be answered too
Old 04-14-2019, 01:56 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

He’s had a zillion names on here. Bring up anything Mamo still today, and he goes crazy. 12 years later, this build is still over the top unbelievable. Crazy good numbers!!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Maybe the question is "Flow Wizard" really "Patron" can be answered too
Or "Smokey B".... or whatever he's called...
Old 04-14-2019, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Holy crap.....damn near spit out my coffee when I saw this blast from the past!!

To be really honest, a decade plus later and the fundamentals of what's really required aren't much different (which naturally makes sense).

At the end of the day it takes a healthy budget to put down big power with a modest cam selection that gives you the "Have your cake and eat it too" very elusive (and very exclusive) end result scenario.

Let's face it, it's not even easy to make BIG power with larger duration sticks if you get right down to it.....how many big cam cars you see are putting down 450 - 470 RWHP (some not even meeting those numbers).....quite alot actually. Obviously it's that much more challenging with less cam timing to produce that number or more so efficiency is the name of the game. The foundation of taking on a project of this nature is the same as it was on 2007.....you need a truly efficient high flow set of cylinder heads if your serious about pulling it off. They are the doorway in and the doorway out of the combustion process. Every other part you can name plays a supporting role to the cylinder heads.....cam....intake....exhaust system....CAI....everything. In fact you can get everything else right but if your running an average set of heads your power and torque output will be limited and that's a fact.

I tell you.....Im confident I can put a manual trans car in the 500+ range with a 22X intake lobe and all my newer MMS gear (my MMS 220's for head choice naturally). It would be easier in a Vette than an Fbody due to the Vette's better exhaust design and X-pipe location but an FBody with a good true dual set-up would be close to the same efficiency but it would cost us 5-8 RWHP if I had to guess making it more difficult but still doable IMO.

Here's the deal....I have been looking for a project car to feature something like this.....to show what's capable with some of my newer more efficient products in a really drivable package that's not over cammed if you had the budget and the gumption to build it right.

Im willing to help someone with a discount package deal on a full Mamo Motorsports top half and lightweight clutch (integral part of of a build like this) that has considered doing something like what Im discussing and has the budget to see it through. I would want a baseline dyno also as part of whats required here also and regular updates on the forum keeping folks abreast of the progress of this deal. I would venture it will cost in the 10K range but some costs might be mitigated if say you already have a FAST and just need me to port it type of thing (although Im thinking ported MSD for a max effort deal....we could dyno both). Honestly I would be even more psyched to take a care that's bone stock or close to it to see the real world difference of what we gained with all the mods.

I will help out on price and provide all the technical assistance required but your going to spend some money and invest some time. Anyone serious who is interested just email me and we can take it from there.

I prefer emails over PM's on something like this....you can use mamomotorsports@yahoo.com

Its funny because I had been considering posting a random thread asking the community if someone was interested in working with me on a project like this but this revived decade old thread was really the perfect segway.....lets see what we can accomplish in 2019

It might take me months to find a potential client I think is a good fit for this or it might take days.....I have no idea but at some point it would cool to see what we could accomplish.....I want to retain an HR cam as well even though it would be easier with an SR.

Let me know what you guys think about the idea

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to hear from you Tony! And even better to see you still furthering the tech that keeps the LS world spinning madly!
Hopefully someone can pony up a good car to develop the package you describe above, as even though many things are the same after the 12 years since this thread started, there have been enough developments and refinements to keep things interesting in the present day. And you have been at the forefront of much of this.

Last edited by G Atsma; 04-14-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 461 Likes on 358 Posts

Thanks to me for requesting to revive this old thread.
I would love to work with Tony on a project if I was located in the USofA
Always wanted to try out his head cylinders and see if I could make close to 600rwhp on a 408 with them.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Always wanted to try out his head cylinders and see if I could make close to 600rwhp on a 408 with them.
Yes, you DO get credit for bringing this back up! Tony IS the "head man"!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I’ve never seen tony so worked up and also bragging about 500 rwhp on a 400” engine but then I seen the date lol
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

600 rwhp very doable these days

Quick Reply: In line with some recent threads discussing smaller cams and "milder" combinations...