Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP LS6 CNC heads come apart - Rocker mount ripped out of head!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good that TSP stepped up and will be taking care of this. I'm more impressed with the response and customer service than I am discouraged by the glitch. Makes me feel more confident in their products in the long run.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its nice to know that there are still good companies out there who will stand behind their products and fix whatever problems arise. Way to go. Now if only i can save up some money cause i want the same setup as marv.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

In comparing these two pictures, it appears to the untrained eye that the same problem showed itself in both instances.

The first is from this thread, and the other is from this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/605738-broken-ms3-cam.html

I just want to understand why, without evaluating both sets of heads, TSP has decided to replace heads, gaskets and bolts on one and on the other they made the customer purchase the head core, new gaskets and bolts and are only performing the porting on the head at no additional cost to the customer. While I understand that the second involved the possibility that one of THEIR cams caused the damage, I don't see the reason they didn't take care of the customer in the same manner.

Galen
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Wow, thats horrible... I have P&P 243 castings from Patriot and I hope I don't run into the same issues down the road.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

This is why I deal with TSP. Good job, Trevor.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
I'm sorry to see the problem with your cylinder heads. It is certainly rare to see problems like this considering the volume of cylinder heads that we sell. With that said, GM does have core shift in their castings. This is the exact reason that we went with our new, smaller 230cc runner for the LS6 heads. We ended up having to brace the 237cc runner LS6 heads with additional welding/reinforcement around the rocker (NOT JB Weld!) to alleviate the possibility of this problem until the smaller port was ready. I am very shocked to see that you had a problem after 8 months! We will definitely take care of you on this. We will replace your cylinder heads with a new set of LS6's using our new 230cc runner. I'll also take care of you on all of the necessary bolts and gaskets to get it back up and running. Give us a call or PM me with your information, and I'll be glad to give you a call. We'll verify your information in our system, and get another set of heads going for you. The smaller 230cc runner has alleviated this problem, so it's safe to say that this will NOT be a recurring problem! We're not going to leave you out to dry on this.

As mentioned above, our LS6 heads now use a 230cc intake runner, and our 5.3L heads use a 220cc intake runner. Both heads leave more than enough material to not have problematic areas.

Let us know if you, or anyone for that matter, have any questions or concerns!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
This is why I use TSP.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP = another class act of customer service.. good to know about the 237 vs 230..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Its good to see that TSP is taking care of you on this.

As I am debating on buying a set of these heads, but I want to know if the advertised flow is with the bolts sticking throught the ports or not?

TIA
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we look at both pictures, it does appear that they broke in the same place. Now, how this happened in each instance is totally different. The other picture that you posted was in a separate thread where a lobe completely broke off of the camshaft. It was speculated that the cylinder head broke the camshaft, among other theories, and that's ridiculous. If that were the case, Marv would have had the same problem. If there is a place on the cylinder head that is weak and something lets go in the valvetrain, logic would dictate that the failed part could cause further damage to other items. The camshaft did have a lobe sheared off of it, but there is more than meets the eye on it. Comp Cams grinds our camshafts for us, and we replaced the camshaft for the customer for free. The broken camshaft was sent back to Comp for evaluation. The problem arises when you try to determine what caused what after the damage is done. Everyone can speculate, but you'll never know for sure. It would make more sense that a lobe of the camshaft was sheared off due to a lifter failure. We have literally sold THOUSANDS of camshafts ground by Comp, and we've never run into this problem. That's not to say that it can't happen; anything is possible. Whether or not it's probable is a different story. We were never contacted by the customer regarding the broken cylinder head. Jay at Ryan's Performance Machines contacted us telling us that a lobe had broken off of the camshaft and it destroyed the head. We told Jay that we would get another cylinder head going for them if they will just cover the cost of the casting. Again, I'm not looking to debate all over again about what caused what. We can argue until we're blue in the face, but that doesn't change the facts or get any closer to knowing what ultimately caused the damage. Marv's case is pretty cut and dry. There isn't anything else that could lead you to believe that the failure of another part caused the damage to his head.

Trevor

Originally Posted by Galen
In comparing these two pictures, it appears to the untrained eye that the same problem showed itself in both instances.

The first is from this thread, and the other is from this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605738

I just want to understand why, without evaluating both sets of heads, TSP has decided to replace heads, gaskets and bolts on one and on the other they made the customer purchase the head core, new gaskets and bolts and are only performing the porting on the head at no additional cost to the customer. While I understand that the second involved the possibility that one of THEIR cams caused the damage, I don't see the reason they didn't take care of the customer in the same manner.

Galen
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STL2SLO
Its good to see that TSP is taking care of you on this.

As I am debating on buying a set of these heads, but I want to know if the advertised flow is with the bolts sticking throught the ports or not?

TIA
All of our advertised flow numbers are with a stock rocker bolt in place. We flow the head as it will be used by our customers.

Trevor
Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TSP = Class Act.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

TSP =
Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good job, TSP! I take you guys will still CNC a customers bare castings?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
That's what I like to hear. Trevor, that was enough for me to be sure I will purchase my heads through you guys. Thanks.
me too
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow that is kinda crazy , sucks to see something like that happen

the guys at TSP are great guys
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed on my set of PRC stage 1 heads, they put some epoxy weld around the rocker towers. I would guess that it is to prevent that kind of failure from happening. They are a great company, and will stand behind their products. I wish more companys were like those guys.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is why I use TSP and have sent 4 of my friends to them in the last week. Great customer service! Now I get to install 4 MS4's...
Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to update everyone, as you all know, TSP is going to take care of me as I expected. Talked to Trevor multiple times yesterday and he answered all my questions.

I've got a couple options to choose from, so now I just need to sort out the details. Then it'll be time to turn some wrenches.

Once again, TSP delivers as always. Thanks again guys!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Same thing happend to me but it was on the install
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Default when did they fix the issue

Now im worried about my heads from TSP. Im pretty sure that I have a pair of there PRC LS6 heads from the 1st batch. I recieved mine in August of 06. Is there a way to tell if they are from the first batch. I have never driven the car with them on yet. I bolted them up, fired up the car and had an issue with a spun rod bearing so I never really used them. Now Im building a LS2 stroker motor that I planned on bolting these heads onto, until I can afford something that can flow better. I would hate to bolt these up and have an issue like this hapen to me.

Quick Reply: TSP LS6 CNC heads come apart - Rocker mount ripped out of head!!!