Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
ETP, AFR, WCCH, TEA, and All Pro are at the top of my list. These are just big name porters though, don't forget the other guys!
I think he was looking for names of acual people, rather than companies, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who does Super Stock, Comp Eliminator or Pro Stock would be your best choice if you can afford it.

For the money Larry Meaux wins every time.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Richard at west coast does awesome work
Old 02-03-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320 killer
Richard at west coast does awesome work
ditto x elentybillion
Old 02-03-2007, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I think he was looking for names of acual people, rather than companies, but I could be wrong.

Bingo!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Casey Schnieder and Greg Good...both Houston porters...both with current or past instructing roles at SAM...both are considered on the A list when it comes to LS1 heads. Trevor Johnson is also badass.
When I was in TX, we used Trevor Johnson. Very skilled guy. Also does a crapload of Viper heads for Hennessy.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Reckless
When I was in TX, we used Trevor Johnson. Very skilled guy. Also does a crapload of Viper heads for Hennessy.
I just cant agree with the work he does. We can agree to disagree and move on.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I just cant agree with the work he does. We can agree to disagree and move on.
didn't Trevor do the heads on Sean's car?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
didn't Trevor do the heads on Sean's car?
Your point?

He's also done a set of heads for Brian Pomeroy. Did they come out as good as the "Sean" heads or better yet could there been improvement...you bet. Brian paid good money for the work Trevor did and the port is HUGE. The valve is also HUGE. Im not sure what hes trying to accomplish but it would have limited Brians potential for sure on what he could have made and really ran like a dog. I've got to see the heads in person and on the flow and wet flow bench. Ive seen his valve jobs he puts on the LS1 stuff. It leaves alot on the table for what was paid for Matt.

I hold Trevor on the same level as Lloyd Elliots work. Its hit or miss for what you pay for.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

What are you calling huge? What size valve and runner cc?

If done right, a bigger port can work very well.
The following users liked this post:
quintenk (04-15-2020)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greg Good
What are you calling huge? What size valve and runner cc?

If done right, a bigger port can work very well.
240+ cc stock casting head with a 2.10 intake valve flowing ~320cfm. Let me rephrase it. Its huge for what they flow.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Did you guys run the heads?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you guys run the heads?
No they stalled at 650 lift for what we were trying to use a solid roller with 75oish lift on.

Chris had the suggestion to flow the heads before they got too serious into the lower end build up and found that out.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

It's very rare that an LSx head stays smooth on the intake side to .750", so I wouldn't be so quick to judge Trevor by that. Did you guys find some that didn't?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's very rare that an LSx head stays smooth on the intake side to .750", so I wouldn't be so quick to judge Trevor by that. Did you guys find some that didn't?
Its just the first example. Theres another set of heads someone had ported and he did a valve job on them. Claimed some numbers on his bench and they were 30 off from what he claimed at 28" of water.

Chris, flowed them on the wet flow as well and corrected some things. They dont stall now til right about 780 lift which is better. They picked up some flow doing more modification on the short side radius. They will make power now but I think Brian's changed his mind on using the heads to find out for sure.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

It's common for a head porter to get bad flow test results from other shops. It happens to all of us. I have personally flowed several sets of Trevors heads and they were very good.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's common for a head porter to get bad flow test results from other shops. It happens to all of us. I have personally flowed several sets of Trevors heads and they were very good.
Im not sure what you are trying to say, but Chris isnt a liar. He gave the numbers just like they showed on his bench. Me witnesssing. Whats the point in lying? If they are good, he'll tell you they were good. Im sure Trevors done some good work before too. These 2 instances did not show it. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid when agreeing to disagree. If you are calling me a liar, I dont appreciate it either way. I have no reason to lie and neither does Chris. We both shoot it straight like we see it. Whether something was good or something was bad a flow bench will tell you just flow. It wont tell you how it will perform on the track. He saw things that could "honestly" be fixed and stuff that would leave power on the table. Flow benches are a measure of change. If you have the right numbers where they need to be then the power will be made. I understand the tactics some use to get business. Business isnt what he needs LMAO. Get back on topic now.

Last edited by V6 Bird; 02-04-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Im not sure what you are trying to say, but Chris isnt a liar. He gave the numbers just like they showed on his bench. Me witnesssing. Whats the point in lying? If they are good, he'll tell you they were good. Im sure Trevors done some good work before too. These 2 instances did not show it. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid when agreeing to disagree. If you are calling me a liar, I dont appreciate it either way. I have no reason to lie and neither does Chris. We both shoot it straight like we see it. Whether something was good or something was bad a flow bench will tell you just flow. It wont tell you how it will perform on the track. He saw things that could "honestly" be fixed and stuff that would leave power on the table. Flow benches are a measure of change. If you have the right numbers where they need to be then the power will be made. I understand the tactics some use to get business. Business isnt what he needs LMAO. Get back on topic now.
you really think YOU need to tell Greg what a flowbench is used for? Seriously...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

The TEA boys get my vote for sure!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

V6bird, I'm not calling anyone a liar, so let's make that clear.

Conflicting flow numbers are a part of this business. It happens every day. The final judge of a head is its performance on the track.

No two head porters think or port alike. That leads to a LOT of criticism between head porters. They see things they don't like about a competitors head and say that those things are "wrong" when in fact they may not be. You have to also take into account that many head porters are arrogant and just plain primmadonna's.

I'm used to people telling me I'm wrong all the time so I'm ok with yuor disagreement, but please don't think I'm saying you and Chris are dishonest.

Quick Reply: Who are the top 5 LSX cylinder head porters in the country?