Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
Are you compensating for lifter preload? Keep in mind if you are saying you have 0 clearance but the lifter plunger is fully expanded (against the retaining ring), then once you compress it .060-.100 that will affectively give you .100-.170 p/v clearance. This is one reason I do not know how people are checking these with the clay method unless they have a lifter converted to a solid with the plunger already collapsed to the depth they intend to run (.060-.100 is the normal given range). Also if you check it witha regular lifter and the regular springs, the lifter will bleed down and give you a much higher than actual indication than what is accurate. That said, I agree with most of the people on here that question how you could be having p/v issues with that setup. I mean guys are running the MS4 and Trex's on stock 243's with stock valves, I find it hard to believe that that .010 mill make them hit with that size camshaft.
yeah, I mentioned that in my post. I simply added .060". but I have enough room either way to go from .040-.080" preload.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm gonna go back and do some more reading on how to accurately measure PTV... i wasn't aware that is was that involved!!! i'm just not seeing how i can go from not even being able to turn the motor over to having enough clearance...
i really appreciate all the help!!! i'm gonna do alot more reading and keep trying to get this figured out!!!

thanks alot for all the help/suggestions!!!

mac