Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puffing white smoke? Diagnosis??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Puffing white smoke? Diagnosis??

Post up if this fixes your problem too. Where can I find more details about the PCV valve, breather mods?
Old 06-19-2002, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,174 Likes on 763 Posts

Kyle-

Can I make a suggestion?

Next morning, with the car cold, top up the radiator. Now start the car up. Leaving the cap off, top the coolant several times, ideally topping it up right after the t-stat opens too. Now put the cap back on.

If you have to add a lot of coolant after say doing this twice, there is something wrong.

IMO you need to monitor this.

Adding a quart even in a year is odd.

Also make sure your water pump is not messed up.

When I have had to repeatedly top off the coolant in a car, I have also had slight overheating problems too.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pro Stock John:
<strong>Kyle-

Can I make a suggestion?

Next morning, with the car cold, top up the radiator. Now start the car up. Leaving the cap off, top the coolant several times, ideally topping it up right after the t-stat opens too. Now put the cap back on.

If you have to add a lot of coolant after say doing this twice, there is something wrong.

IMO you need to monitor this.

Adding a quart even in a year is odd.

Also make sure your water pump is not messed up.

When I have had to repeatedly top off the coolant in a car, I have also had slight overheating problems too.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey John,

I've noticed that there's a small trail of coolant coming from the bottom of the water pump. The coolant is obviously burnt onto the block but I can
see where it has run down onto the oil pan and cross-member and steering. Also, I can smell coolant if I open the hood after driving it but I never see it dripping onto the garage floor or parking spot??

The problem is that it doesn't appear to be overheating. Could my water pump be going out?

I'll try what you've recommended and see what happens. Thanks for the input...

Kyle

<small>[ June 19, 2002, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: LS1 Kyle ]</small>
Old 06-19-2002, 11:48 AM

Just coming from the waterpump area?

Did you check all the hoses first and make sure that a hose isn't leaking from a crack?

If not, sounds like you found your culprit.

I would fix it. Not hard to do, and it's pennies compared to the value of your motor.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Import Patrol:
<strong>Just coming from the waterpump area?

Did you check all the hoses first and make sure that a hose isn't leaking from a crack?

If not, sounds like you found your culprit.

I would fix it. Not hard to do, and it's pennies compared to the value of your motor.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll check the hoses again too! Last time I looked I didn't find anything. BTW, how much is new water pump?
Old 06-20-2002, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1 Kyle:
BTW, how much is new water pump?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">PN 12456112

<small>[ June 19, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: BYE RICE ]</small>

Quick Reply: Puffing white smoke? Diagnosis??