Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Cam Install Tomorrow..

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i told you that fishing line would save your ***!

Congrats on the sucessful install buddy! No go get that thing tuned haha..............and post numbers after!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

If it works cool....send me what ever pics u want in the vid and what song an ill see if i have it and ill work something up for ya...... jaime.estrada@ttu.edu
Old 02-19-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GT Griller
If it works cool....send me what ever pics u want in the vid and what song an ill see if i have it and ill work something up for ya...... jaime.estrada@ttu.edu
awsome! thanks bro! ill let you kno as soon as i get one.. mite be a few days.. cuz i want to get it tuned... and some drive bys... ill get a clip of the idle soon tho of coarse... i should have it tuned this week.. i have the money just gotta see when they have time to tune it...

is there anything you guys recomend me trying to help it stay alive so i can put it in drive? ima try drilling that hole alil bigger in the TB today after work... does that work any? do you kno?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Im not a fan of drilling the TB, but turn ur idle screw a up till u get what u want.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not a fan of drilling the TB, but turn ur idle screw a up till u get what u want.

O OK...yea i was talkin to my buddy at lethal performance he told me not to drill the hole..so im not gunna do that.. ima try rasing the idle screw so i can atleast get it in d.... ill give it a try wen i get off work.. is it hard to do?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Naw if u can fit ur hands in there u dont have pull the thottle body, but if ur like me and have bear claws for hands then ull need to pull the throttle body off and turn the screw. It takes like 10 min to tear down turn the screw then re-install everything.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Naw if u can fit ur hands in there u dont have pull the thottle body, but if ur like me and have bear claws for hands then ull need to pull the throttle body off and turn the screw. It takes like 10 min to tear down turn the screw then re-install everything.

ok so wat ima do is take the screw off.. and flip it the other way? or just twist it to raise the idle? im at work.. and dont really remember what it looks like..
Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

ITs on the bottom side of the throttle body, u can see one end comes up and touches the little blade where ur throttle cable is. What u do is turn it to the right from underneath like if u were tightening it and it will push further thru causeing the little blade to not close all the way....u DONT take the screw out, but can take the throttle body off to do it.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ITs on the bottom side of the throttle body, u can see one end comes up and touches the little blade where ur throttle cable is. What u do is turn it to the right from underneath like if u were tightening it and it will push further thru causeing the little blade to not close all the way....u DONT take the screw out, but can take the throttle body off to do it.
o ok! got it! thanks! do you kno what size bolt it is? maybe i can get it with an open ratchet wrench... from the sounds of it.. seems like its either a 8 or 10mm...?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PCM is the boss here. When you drill a hole don't you think the PCM knows it and says "Dummy tried to fool me by drilling hole in the TB blade. I'll just show him and set the idle where I want to anyway"? Of course it does because the PCM is the boss. It's the same thing when you try to override the PCM by turning the throttle blade position screw. What do you think happens when you do that? You try to force the idle higher, but the PCM controls the idle speed not you. So it just adjusts to the wider open position by reducing pintle activity of your IAC. You can backprobe the TPS to make sure the closed throttle and open throttle voltages are within calibration values. If they aren't you can adjust the TPS because the mounting holes are slotted to allow you to rotate the TPS to get the voltages within spec. The PCM is smarter than you are, but not quite as smart as Judge Judy. Don't drill a hole in the blade. You'll be wasting your time. Get a tune. Be ready for P0300 DTC to turn on your MIL. That's normal with a big cam. If the cam isn't too big the PCM can adapt over time, but if it is too big the sensitivity of the CMP will have to be dealt with.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

No man its actually a screw, but its like a torx screw, its one of those "stary" patterns. eallanboggs may know something from experince but i can tell u that turning the idle screw helped me drive my car before i got any tuning. It works if not by picking up ur idle by allowing a just a lil more air in when the blad isnt closed all the way....Also when i first got my mail order tune i still had some surging issues and Jason at TSP told me to turn the screw, so i wouldnt say its pointless.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

A small allen wrench also works. I forget the size but if you don't have a set stop and pick them up, they're cheap enough and with all of your new found experince you'll probably need them for another project!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal rite! i adjusted the screw and now my car idles at bout 7-8 hundred... sounds awsome.. gives me alil trouble to start up... just a few lil revs and than its fine... after i get her started i can go in reverse, D anything and it wont shut off.. surges alil..but not much... drives pretty good actually... and i got a few thumbs up already! and scared a mustang! i havnt stepped on it yet... and dont really plan on going WOT till i get a tune... it sounds so bad ****. dam im in love with my car all over again! lol.. i do notice i lost alil low end.. but after 3k rpms if i give it alil gas.. NNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWICE! again thanks to everybody who helped me out! ima have a vid on wednesday.. my friends is coming over.. so i can hopefully get one up...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

good glad to hear you like it. Now if I can get my new cam I will install mine again. The ms3 does like to rev high lol. I changed to 4:10 gears and it was a new car. Also you need a stall.

Thanks for the purchase and hope you enjoy the MS3,

Mark
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea.. rite now i dont really see it fall on its face at low rpms.. but im sure aftr i get her tuned, and go WOT ill see what you guys meen... does anyone want to take some guesses at wat ima dyno?

current dyno 332RWHP- 342 TORQE

MODS:
LTs, MS3,ls6 oil pump, double chain, all free mods, lid, filter, AC delete, TSP duals, stock intake, and stock converter...iridium plugs, msd wires, some of those dont matter... and i mite have forgot some.. but thats basically what i have...

guesstamates?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

-400 hp lol. na like 390 hp and 410 tq.

and it wont fall flat...just watch and see. just how they were wrong about the double roller...and how hard the pickup tube was....lol jk jk

but i dont think it will fall flat. have you felt any new powa yet? stop being a ***** and step on her...she needs it i tell u!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Stall, Stall, Stall!!! You need one!!!!

Ski

Then, your car will wake up!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Stall, Stall, Stall!!! You need one!!!!

Ski

Then, your car will wake up!
+1, get a stall, and then you will fall in love with it ANOTHER time
Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
+1, get a stall, and then you will fall in love with it ANOTHER time

lol..yea i kno...i really want one.. thats next on my mod list... ima get a pt4000 yank... just alil pricey but ima start saving for it... compared to a cam install is it hard to drop a tranny and change out a stall? given all i have are ramps... so space is limited.. wish i had a lift..
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Yea it can be done on the ground but it sucks to do it.....Id rather do the cam again than do my stall.....I took the tranny out to rebuild it on the ground, and hated every moment of it.